Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,727 times

Advertisements

In my neighborhood of single-family houses, the house next to mine has 5 to 6 cars, with several always parked in front of my house. This is annoying, because when my friends or family come to visit, they have to park several houses down to find an empty spot. I don't want to get into who has a right to these spaces, as that has been covered in other discussions.

What I do want to know is, does Arlington have a limit on the number of unrelated adults who can live in one house? I've heard of that in other areas, but not sure how to go about researching it for Arlington (of course I googled it, couldn't find answer). This is not a family, this is one owner who is renting out rooms.

And if Arlington does have a restriction, how would I go about getting it enforced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 11:01 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
According to this link, Arlington County does not address overcrowding based on the number of unrelated persons.

Code Enforcement | Building Arlington

In VA, it's illegal for 4 or more unrelated people to live in a home. But I'm not sure who you would call to report the violation.

New Virginia Law Goes After Rogue Renters | NBC4 Washington

Old 09-03-2014, 11:06 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,004 times
You don't have any right to the parking space on a public street in front of your home, but to actually answer your question the limit is 4 as previously mentioned, but you will not have much luck with enforcement unless it is some crazy situation like 20+ people in the house.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:09 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
According to this link, Arlington County does not address overcrowding based on the number of unrelated persons.

In VA, it's illegal for 4 or more unrelated people to live in a home. But I'm not sure who you would call to report the violation.

That states it's illegal for more than 4, not 4 or more.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
That states it's illegal for more than 4, not 4 or more.
You're right. Ooops!

Old 09-03-2014, 03:04 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Leave your trash cans out. That's what we do to keep the neighbors' lazy-ass nanny from parking in front of our house instead of theirs. As to enforcement, I think that's zoning enforcement you would call.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:53 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Virginian View Post
In my neighborhood of single-family houses, the house next to mine has 5 to 6 cars, with several always parked in front of my house. This is annoying, because when my friends or family come to visit, they have to park several houses down to find an empty spot.
Not unless you have a designated handicapped sign post in front of your house. Otherwise, it's up for grabs or considered "shared space". This can be extremely annoying if you return home with a bunch of groceries, unloading furniture or shrubs, etc. -- especially if it's snowing or raining.

Not sure how/if you communicate with your neighbors, but you can ask them about being courteous and agreeing to park in front of each others' home, and overflow/friends/ family can easily park at . . . . (wherever).

We live on this kind of street too and when we first moved here, the neighbors across the street kept doing this. I don't know if it was out of habit (knowing the house was unoccupied until the new Buyers (us) moved in) or they were doing it deliberately. And, every one of them had SUVs. What was worse that on Sunday mornings, one of them would blast his music while cleaning out his car (right in front of our house). Giving them dirty looks and talking loud about them didn't work. So one day, we just wrote a note and put it on their windshield. That seemingly did the trick.

Otherwise, do as Carlington says and put your tall trash cans out there in the spot. Some neighbors use old plastic patio chairs or their recycling bins. We've had to do this during the Apple Blossom Festival Season (about 2-weeks of ongoing events, parades, and festivities) since we live downtown and people are looking for places to park.

I also had one neighbor who took a fat piece of chalk and drew parking lines in front of his house. Not legal by any means, but a humorous and effective approach.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:13 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
Is it legal to block part of a public street with trash cans/chairs/recycling bins, etc.?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:17 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Is it legal to block part of a public street with trash cans/chairs/recycling bins, etc.?
It's against the County code, but it's never enforced.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:20 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
Couldn't somebody just move the object off the street and park there anyway, and there would be nothing the homeowner could do about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: