U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:58 PM

104 posts, read 144,796 times

Advertisements

We have friends that live in Culpeper and they love it. They moved from Warrenton to Culpeper so they could get a bigger house for their family. He commutes to Manassas but in off peak hours so into Warrenton should not be a problem for commuting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 06:32 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,089,549 times
I live in Orange and commute to Warrenton, I leave the house at 550 am and get to work at 645 am. I get off at 5:30pm and will arrive home around 6:15 pm.

I have a 3 bedroom 1 bath house I'm buying for 120k. If you're a student Orange to UVA is probably 30-40 minutes.

Orange is very rural farm country, it's pretty, has a couple of wineries and James Madisons Montpeiler. From Orange you could get to Culpeper in 20 minutes.

Orange and Culpeper are about the last great communities around here, C'ville has become very posh and yuppie and Warrenton starts to get to close to NOVA.

65k will do very well in Orange, the commute to Warrenton can be a little nerve racking, I nicknamed it the 29 500 cause good lord people drive crazy, especially going in the direction of 29 north.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:40 PM

689 posts, read 1,371,567 times
I would look very closely at Warren County before moving there. We thought we were getting a nice, bucolic country lifestyle, and it is a very poor, rural area, in general. Obviously there are pockets of affluence, people who have moved out from NoVA, but the mindset here is what keeps the from moving forward. We left the area rather than put our sons in the local schools. If you tend to be pretty conservative you may be just fine there. We had neighbors who refused to talk to us once they found out we weren't Catholic, for example. There's a super conservative Catholic church there. There seems to be a lot of infighting within local government. We loved Winchester, Warrenton and Culpeper, so it's not that we don't like small towns. We just found Warren County to be really odd. Some great little restaurants, but you can always stop in on your way to Skyline Drive. If my job were moving to Front Royal I'd live elsewhere and drive in.

Warrenton is a whole different ballgame -- it's far more cosmopolitan than anything out by Front Royal. It's a beautiful little town, but it's close enough to northern VA it's really become a bedroom community. Most of your neighbors there will be commuting in. The stretch of 29 north of Warrenton is crazy. the area all around is beautiful, and most Fauquier County schools are good. Some parts of the county are still largely farmland. It's a really beautiful area. But the other posters are right, $65k is not a lot in any part of the northern third of the state. Housing costs in general are pretty inflated, and that's what will eat up your budget.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:25 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,089,549 times
Buy in Orange and commute to Warrenton

Old 05-05-2015, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,407 times
just saw this after a long time away. wonder where the OP ended up, could you post?

I would recommend the southern end of the county and especially Bealeton for a home on a $65K income and a pretty easy commute to Warrenton for work. Failing that, I agree with the poster who suggested Orange County. There might be property in the Amissville area of Culpeper/Fauquier within the price range you'd need to find. Rappahannock is beautiful but I think your budget might preclude it, ditto much of Warrenton and parts of Fauquier north of that. Though I've seen places less than $300K in Warrenton city limits, not so much now, but in the aftermath of the mortgage crisis. Foreclosures of townhouses in the Oak Springs neighborhood for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or