U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:56 AM

10 posts, read 9,467 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I searched the thread prior to posting, but didn't find a clear answer and I think my situation is somewhat different from the other posters asking similar questions. I just moved to VA from Florida - I am a full time graduate student in Florida - registered as a Florida Resident through my university - but am on residency in Virginia for one year. I will likely be moving back to FL after one year here. My car registration is up for renewal and I am trying to figure out what I legally have to do for my driver's licence, car registration, and car plates. I have tried searching both the FL and VA DMV websites - but they are quite vague. Of course, I'd prefer to talk to them, but being open only during business hours makes it difficult for me. I would prefer to keep my FL licence, registration, and tags - but want to do this legally. Any help would be extremely appreciated! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:39 AM

5,083 posts, read 5,351,459 times
It says on this link that if you're living here for longer than 6 months, you'll need to get a VA driver's license.

Virginia Relocation Guide - VA Moving Guide at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

And this page on the DMV confirms that:

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

And here's the link for titling and registering:

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 09-07-2014, 03:46 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,846,462 times
"I will likely be moving back to FL after one year here."

From this you just don't know. If it were me I'd take my chances and not making the changes but only you can decide whether you can afford any citations. The odds are very slim you will be cited. If you really believe you will be going back then just explain this to an officer. Of course if you live in an apt or townhome complex where they come in and handle enforcement of certain violations and you are not military you could possibly receive parking tickets.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:39 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,819,653 times
If you aren't employed then you are considered a full time student and can keep your Florida DL and plates. If you're collecting a paycheck then technically your stuff needs to switched over, but in reality you are probably fine to keep your Florida license. I say this because there are thousands of college students around with out of state licenses/cars (including many who live/work in VA year round, but with stuff still registered to their parents) and they don't have any issues...the police aren't patrolling to ticket students.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:13 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,649,291 times
Car Tax - Frequently Asked Questions*- Fairfax County, Virginia

From what I read, you are supposed to register your car with the county within 60 days.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:21 AM

69 posts, read 67,100 times
You are fine keeping your registration in FL. Just make sure that your inspection sticker is up to date. If it expires, just go to service station and they will do one for you. I had that done on my car and I have out of state plates and registration, but the inspection sticker expired. So I went to an Exxon and they did the inspection and emissions test and gave me the papers and the sticker on my windshield. The inspection and emissions are good in all 50 states! Save yourself time and money and keep the FL registration.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
If you aren't employed then you are considered a full time student and can keep your Florida DL and plates. If you're collecting a paycheck then technically your stuff needs to switched over, but in reality you are probably fine to keep your Florida license. I say this because there are thousands of college students around with out of state licenses/cars (including many who live/work in VA year round, but with stuff still registered to their parents) and they don't have any issues...the police aren't patrolling to ticket students.
According to the DMV, you have to be a full-time student at an accredited school in Virginia so OP would not qualify.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:57 AM

13,028 posts, read 19,859,929 times
Is the address on the FL license your address? If it isn't ... it shouldn't be valid anymore. It is valid, I know, but it is a lie. I guess doing the right thing doesn't mean much anymore. What does your insurance company say about doing this?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Is the address on the FL license your address? If it isn't ... it shouldn't be valid anymore. It is valid, I know, but it is a lie. I guess doing the right thing doesn't mean much anymore. What does your insurance company say about doing this?
OP is trying to do the right thing. That's why he/she is asking what the legal requirements are - not how to circumvent the legal requirements.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:35 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Where did this come from? And what's the insurance have to do with the tea in China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or