U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoiadilucania View Post
My threshold for "practical Metro access" is about 10 minutes via any medium. It seems Dunn Loring from that location might be closer to 15 minutes? I don't think lack of Metro access has prevented appreciation, but I think those areas with Metro access will appreciate more quickly...
I think what people will consider "practical Metro access" can vary depending on their ability and desire to own both a car and a SFH, as well as the seemingly ever-longer commutes around this region by car. So, personally, I wouldn't say this (Greenway Downs) is an area that lacks Metro access, although there clearly are other places with easier and better access, and presumably that's reflected in their prices.

Last edited by JD984; 09-16-2014 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM

222 posts, read 191,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoiadilucania View Post
My threshold for "practical Metro access" is about 10 minutes via any medium. It seems Dunn Loring from that location might be closer to 15 minutes? I don't think lack of Metro access has prevented appreciation, but I think those areas with Metro access will appreciate more quickly...
Why would anybody goes to Dunn Loring from Greenway down? The closet metro is East Falls Church Metro via Annandale Road.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:07 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think what people will consider "practical Metro access" can vary depending on their ability and desire to own both a car and a SFH, as well as the seemingly ever-longer commutes around this region by car. So, personally, I wouldn't say this (Greenway Downs) is an area that lacks Metro access, although there clearly are other places with easier and better access, and presumably that's reflected in their prices.
I agree. Depends on personal tolerance, age, even time of year. At one point in my life, I was walking 3 miles to my job through the snow. I even wore ski goggles. More recently, I found a half-mile walk doable. And I still do, provided it isn't blazing hot or freezing cold. But if I were older or disabled--or had a load of groceries to transport--that would be different.

As far as Metro access, a lot also depends on what routes are available. Where I work, there are Metro buses, but none of them go near my home. Well, one does--but the route it takes to my job is so indirect, it would take me [does finger math] 4-6 times as long to get there.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 09-16-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 03:17 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,640,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I agree. Depends on personal tolerance, age, even time of year. At one point in my life, I was walking 3 miles to my job through the snow. I even wore ski goggles. More recently, I found a half-mile walk doable. And I still do, provided it isn't blazing hot or freezing cold. But if I were older or disabled--or had a load of groceries to transport--that would be different.

As far as Metro access, a lot also depends on what routes are available. Where I work, the are Metro buses, but none of them go near my home. Well, one does--but the route it takes to my job is so indirect, it would take me (does finger math) 4-6 times as long to get there.
I thought you were a car always commuter.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I thought you were a car always commuter.
You may be shocked to know I used to take the Metro all the time. I would do so again, but like a lot of others, there's only so much of my time or convenience I'm willing to sacrifice. Incredibly, there is no direct bus from Ballston to Mark Center! There's one from WFC, but that's way out of my way.

Otherwise, I'd definitely be up for bussing it. I'm always plugging the Metrobus 3Y (Lee Highway into DC) to newbies here. That thing was great.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:38 PM

921 posts, read 982,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimes703 View Post
I'm looking to relocate to falls church for a shorter drive into the district for a new job. Is anyone familiar with the area south of 29 and north of 50 between graham and annandale rd? what are your general opinions? based on the appearance of these four major roads, i would guess it's not the prettiest of areas. i see mostly older homes with a few rebuilds. The schools aren't considered the best according to greatschools.org but my kids are 1 and 3....still have a few yrs before elementary. Wondering if their overall ratings can go up by then.
I have relatives who live in that area & they seem to be satisfied. To me, it just seems quite average compared to other areas in that county. As far as the schools, they have 2 children in elementary school (one 5 & the other one 11) & they seem quite satisfied.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:32 PM

17,628 posts, read 35,987,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
It's a good area. Definitely a mix of rambler's and capes, but at least you can have a yard. There is a good preschool there called Building Blocks. I would classify it as the perfect starter home area, before those thoughts of middle and high school ratings start filling the parents heads with anxiety. There is also a public pool nearby called lee-graham that's well run. The proximity to 496/66/29/50 are hard to beat as well. Ask a neighbor who lives there and you will get a better feel. Good Luck.

P.S. Best restaurant in that area is called "Present" (Vietnamese Cuisine)
I was in FC last month, staying just a block or so away, and ate at Present twice in the 24 hours I was there. Loved it.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 PM

318 posts, read 286,566 times
Follow the school pyramids, avoid Stuart and Falls Church high pyramids, the 22042,22041,22044 had a massive fall during the last bubble and still haven't recovered.

For Falls Church I would stick with 22043, 22046 zips, George Mason, McLean , Marshall pyramids.

The places with the most appreciation potential are close to the metros and also closer to the silver line developments.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:08 PM

77 posts, read 125,123 times
i wound up passing on the house. someone made a killing...buying two adjacent lots and building three modern houses and selling them at the peak of the market 10 years ago. well, the area did not quite take off and the owners listed the house for some $100k below what they bought it at. quite unfortunate but the assigned schools have low ratings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or