Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 PM

21 posts, read 57,764 times

Advertisements

All these years on this forum, and finally I come to post my own "Moving to....." thread.

Around the beginning of next year, I'll be moving from Richmond to either Herndon/Reston, McLean, Fairfax, or mayyyyyybe Arlington. I'll be working at Towers Crescent in Tysons Corner. I've found apartments in all these areas, and I'm an over-thinker --- so I'm drowning in combinations of Dulles toll/ no-toll/Express lanes/ train/ park+train/ park+train+walk/etc.

I know the area fairly well.

I work at Capital One, so I can utilize the new Metro station at their HQ (and will work from that building occasionally), but take into account ~15 minutes transfer on their shuttle to Towers Crescent. I will get Towers Crescent parking if need be.

I'm single, 32. Budget: $1,850.

I prize short commutes and believe they directly improve quality of life. For this, I'm willing to bend towards convenience as I'll more than make up for life on the weekends.

Not so much an apartment-hunting thread; but more about the best commuting combo for Towers Crescent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 01:09 PM

18 posts, read 23,526 times
I am biased as I've been in the Reston area for almost 5 years now, but based on where you work and what you are looking for, I would look right around Reston Town Center. I am a 15 year commercial banker and work as a realtor as well. I used to live in Carlton House at the corner of Sunset Hills and Reston Parkway and my wife and I loved the location and what Reston has to offer. I work in downtown McLean right past Tysons so shared a similar commute to what you would have.

IMO, living in Reston you get all the amenities of Reston without all the traffic of Tysons Corner and the beltway. It also gives you three options of either hitting the Dulles Toll Road, taking the back roads (7 to Lewinsville Road), or taking the metro on a day that you feel like metro'ing it. Lots of options.

Arlington would be great if you were still in party mode, but I think you'll find a large gap in Arlington between the 20 something fresh out of college with their first jobs and the mega mansion tear downs for people that have been around a while and have a ton of money. Again, just my opinion, but I don't see a lot of 30 somethings in Arlington unless they were born and raised here and have family money, or they have just really set the world on fire and can afford the mega-mansions.

I would watch Fairfax as it all depends on where. I have a co-worker that is near Fairfax Lakes and it takes him an hour everyday to get here.

At any rate, just my two cents and I'll be glad to help out if needed. What do you do for Capital One?

Old 09-29-2014, 01:39 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,402 times
I live by Fair Chase. NO to Reston, NO to Fair Lakes.... live as close as possible to the building you are working in. Period. It is a commuting nightmare in Tysons.

The other option is Falls Church - close to Tysons and going in the opposite direction, but it does get busy. McLean would be a very smart choice, in my opinion. I think Arlington is too far.

Good luck with your move!

Old 09-29-2014, 01:56 PM

135 posts, read 162,730 times
Pretty much two choices...Metro or drive...how long or how short a trip or what your best commuting option is will really be more based on your budget and what you want in an apartment...Short and Commute do not normally fit well together in the DC area...not that it can't happen, but it isn't particularly easy to find...Honestly I have no idea on apartment rents these days (or any recent days) but in terms of commute distance, Falls Church, Vienna and McLean along with the Merrifield area are probably the closest to your future office. If you are in Herndon / Reston (or further west) you will have to bus or drive to get to the first Metro stop but it is supposed to be extended past Dulles over the next several years (maybe by 2020?).

You can find nice apartments (at least looking from the outside) in every place that both you and I mentioned...I'd search to find some that have what you are looking for and then come up to check them out...Having lived in NoVA for 50+ years I am fairly familiar with the area if you need any specifics, but I really have no idea on costs other than they will probably be higher than you expect if you haven't already checked things out...

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:42 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Nobles View Post
I am biased as I've been in the Reston area for almost 5 years now, but based on where you work and what you are looking for, I would look right around Reston Town Center. I am a 15 year commercial banker and work as a realtor as well. I used to live in Carlton House at the corner of Sunset Hills and Reston Parkway and my wife and I loved the location and what Reston has to offer. I work in downtown McLean right past Tysons so shared a similar commute to what you would have.

IMO, living in Reston you get all the amenities of Reston without all the traffic of Tysons Corner and the beltway. It also gives you three options of either hitting the Dulles Toll Road, taking the back roads (7 to Lewinsville Road), or taking the metro on a day that you feel like metro'ing it. Lots of options.

Arlington would be great if you were still in party mode, but I think you'll find a large gap in Arlington between the 20 something fresh out of college with their first jobs and the mega mansion tear downs for people that have been around a while and have a ton of money. Again, just my opinion, but I don't see a lot of 30 somethings in Arlington unless they were born and raised here and have family money, or they have just really set the world on fire and can afford the mega-mansions.

I would watch Fairfax as it all depends on where. I have a co-worker that is near Fairfax Lakes and it takes him an hour everyday to get here.

At any rate, just my two cents and I'll be glad to help out if needed. What do you do for Capital One?
There is no traffic in Tysons. There is traffic leaving Tysons. This is one of the major misnomers people have about living in Tysons. When you live here, you are in the eye of the hurricane. All of the traffic is on Route 7 and Route 123. If you live in Tysons there are many options to avoid those roads, or worst case to be on them for 1 or 2 lights if you are coming from the area on the boundary of Tysons and Falls Church.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:54 PM

21 posts, read 57,764 times
L Nobles, I'm an infosec process engineer.

Thanks, everyone, for the pointers. I had wondered about the hurricane effect in Tysons. Thinking I travel on the cross roads around Tysons, after work, if living there. I think I'm narrowing down to a Herndon/Reston option to travel via Dulles toll/Silver line or in McLean to drive/bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia