U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 04:16 PM

49 posts, read 67,557 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done a cross country car shipment? Movers recommended that I use The Car Carrier, but they are quoting $2200 (NOVA to Seattle), which seems high. This whole industry seems full odd sketchyness - thinking about just selling the car and avoiding this looming hassle.....

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 05:56 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,836,140 times
Around $1500 is probably the fair rate for shipping the car. You can check uship or other quote places to get an actual quote. Cheapest option would probably be to drive it yourself.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 AM

231 posts, read 188,795 times
I've shipped cars across the country twice in the past 5 years and gone with Montway Auto Transport as a broker both times. Their prices were good for my budget and even offered a discount the second time around. I believe they have a discounted cash price (which you pay directly to the driver less the broker fee you pay with a card).

Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 AM

1,332 posts, read 2,702,905 times
I just ATTEMPTED to use Montway. They broker out the deal to actual carriers. In my case they couldn't find anyone to pick up my car. They give you a 5 day business day window, I told them I had to absolutely leave town by 5:00 PM on a Friday, so they backed the window to Monday. I didn't hear from them till Wed, saying they were trying. Then again at 4:00pm Friday. Said they were trying to trying to confirm insurance for a carrier. They couldn't tell me where this driver was at, so there is no freaking way he could make it through Friday afternoon traffic to my location. I had to cancel and drive the vehicle myself. It wasn't easy getting the money back (you pay in advance) but I had numerous emails, in one the gal told me.."maybe you should just drive." Conversations went from sweet to
B*$^hy really fast. Beware - and give yourself lots of time.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 PM

673 posts, read 601,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrmike View Post
Has anyone done a cross country car shipment? Movers recommended that I use The Car Carrier, but they are quoting $2200 (NOVA to Seattle), which seems high. This whole industry seems full odd sketchyness - thinking about just selling the car and avoiding this looming hassle.....

Any recommendations?
We just shipped a car from Alaska to Seattle for $1,100.00.

I don't if something happened along the way or if it was a coincidence, but soon after arriving in Seattle, the steering went out and some other stuff, resulting in a $3500 repairs bill. The car had just been in for service a few weeks before we shipped it and nothing was mentioned about any potential problems.

We'll never know.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:11 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,985,599 times
I regularly follow a very interesting car website called Bring a Trailer; Intercity Lines is a sponsor of the site, and the founder/owner of the site (who lives in CA) recently sold his very collectible E30 BMW M3 and used Intercity to ship it. The followup note from the buyer seems to indicate they did a good job.

I tried to link to that article, but the for some odd reason, it appears I can't post URL of the site. However, it's simply the name of the site plus dot-com. If you go to the site, the article is from Oct. 2.

In addition, the same site has these articles on the subject. (Replace the asterisks with the name of the site above plus dot-com.)

Vehicle Shipping
http://******************/services/shipping/

BaT Survey: Car Shipping Experience?
http://******************/2009/10/22...ng-experience/

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-04-2014 at 06:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or