U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:28 AM

7 posts, read 9,316 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 yr old recent grad from Baton Rouge, LA. Conservative guy, I don't do much partying, prefer to just stay to myself. Just got a job offer to work in Herndon, VA making just over 60K. Had a chance to pass through Herndon once while i was interning over in Suitland, MD but other than that ... i know little about the place. Heard that the cost of living & expenses up there are outrageous compared to here in Louisiana. Saw some nice apartments (on the internet) within 5 miles of the job site which is along Herndon Pkwy that I'll actually be working, would like to stay fairly close to the jobsite due to traffic woes. I'm also thinking about getting a roomate once I'm there to save on $$$. My questions are ... Would i be able to live comfortably with making just over 60k? Would it be wise to get a 2BR apt, then put a "looking for roomate" ad out or just go ahead and move in with someone looking for a roomate? Any decent apartments around Herndon that come to mind?? Any advice would be appreciated since my parents aren't helping much in my decision ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,450,094 times
Welcome!

You'll be fine earning 60K and renting an apartment. I'd go with either option - looking for someone who already has an apartment or finding your own and then looking for a roommate. I lived briefly in Reston, but I'm not really up-to-date on the offerings, except that someone else was looking in Herndon recently and we ran through some options: Herndon, Reston, Chantilly, Centreville, basically. These are all nice areas (all will have some parts to avoid) and I can't remember what we figured out about relative cost of these different locales. I'd start looking in Herndon and if you can't find anything, widen your perimeter.

The only specific place I know in Herndon is the Worldgate, which is one of these "newer" places with some restaurants and a $ gym. (I belonged to the gym until I went broke). However, I'm not necessarily suggesting this is the right place for you - it's probably going to be one of the higher priced places, and there are plenty of other options.

You might want to look at craigslist for rentals, just to get an idea; you can also check out apartmentratings.com for some ideas. If you come up with some specific options, just run them by everyone here.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Welcome!

You'll be fine earning 60K and renting an apartment. I'd go with either option - looking for someone who already has an apartment or finding your own and then looking for a roommate. I lived briefly in Reston, but I'm not really up-to-date on the offerings, except that someone else was looking in Herndon recently and we ran through some options: Herndon, Reston, Chantilly, Centreville, basically. These are all nice areas (all will have some parts to avoid) and I can't remember what we figured out about relative cost of these different locales. I'd start looking in Herndon and if you can't find anything, widen your perimeter.

The only specific place I know in Herndon is the Worldgate, which is one of these "newer" places with some restaurants and a $ gym. (I belonged to the gym until I went broke). However, I'm not necessarily suggesting this is the right place for you - it's probably going to be one of the higher priced places, and there are plenty of other options.

You might want to look at craigslist for rentals, just to get an idea; you can also check out apartmentratings.com for some ideas. If you come up with some specific options, just run them by everyone here.

Hmmm, thanks mom :-). Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:47 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,362,494 times
In Herndon, a lot of the nicer apartments are cluttered somewhere around Worldgate and just south of the Toll Road, near the Clock Tower Shopping Center (no clue if that's what it's called, but that's how everyone knows it). These areas will be a very quick commute to your work. I am blanking on specific apartment complex names, but any of the ones along Centreville Road (which once it crosses the Toll Road into the town limits, turns into Elden Street, Herndon's main drag) are fine. You should survive just fine on 60K provided you don't have any sort of exorbitant spending habits. As far as the roommate situation, either or is fine. I like the idea more of renting a two bedroom and then picking the roommate myself, because it puts all of the control in your hands. You can afford to be a little picky. The only issue with that is that it may take a little while to find that good match, so make sure you have at least enough money to pay two months worth of rent and utilities yourself just in case you come up short on the roommate hunt. You should be able to do that just fine though on a 60K income.

As far as Herndon itself, it's pretty much standard suburbia; not a completely dead town but not a place with a bustling nightlife either. It's got a wide mix of people in terms of age, families vs. single, profession and ethnicity, so you'll fit in just fine. Reston is another place worth considering. It's both a bit more serene (many of the residential areas are in wooded areas placed back from main roads), yet with more shopping/dining options, a few miles down the road.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:10 PM

24 posts, read 94,120 times
I've lived in the northern Va area for 20 years. Came here as a young adult like you. I have regretted it terribly every waking moment and am moving away FINALLY. I'm from the Midwest and you're from the South. Both places have great reputations for friendly people. I never realized what an impact friendly people (or non-friendly people) can have on one's life until I located here. People here in general are very rude and uppity. There are so many people crammed into this area that I wonder if their irritability comes from the traffic and crowded conditions wherever you go.
Also, to comment on your question about whether $60K will be enough to live comfortably......well I think you will be living on the edge, meaning, you will have enough to get by, especially if you do have a roommate, but in the long run it will be hard to save money and get out of renting and into buying and therefore start on your road to financial gain. The reason I'm moving is the high cost of living and the rude people. I would seriously reconsider and keep applying for jobs in cities with reputations for friendly people and a lot lot lower prices for homes compared to the money you will be making. My suggestion after much consideration: Columbus, Ohio; Knoxville, Tennessee; Raleigh, North Carolina.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauna714 View Post
I've lived in the northern Va area for 20 years. Came here as a young adult like you. I have regretted it terribly every waking moment and am moving away FINALLY. I'm from the Midwest and you're from the South. Both places have great reputations for friendly people. I never realized what an impact friendly people (or non-friendly people) can have on one's life until I located here. People here in general are very rude and uppity. There are so many people crammed into this area that I wonder if their irritability comes from the traffic and crowded conditions wherever you go.
Also, to comment on your question about whether $60K will be enough to live comfortably......well I think you will be living on the edge, meaning, you will have enough to get by, especially if you do have a roommate, but in the long run it will be hard to save money and get out of renting and into buying and therefore start on your road to financial gain. The reason I'm moving is the high cost of living and the rude people. I would seriously reconsider and keep applying for jobs in cities with reputations for friendly people and a lot lot lower prices for homes compared to the money you will be making. My suggestion after much consideration: Columbus, Ohio; Knoxville, Tennessee; Raleigh, North Carolina.

WoW... thanks for that seriously. I have to admit, i'm a little worried now lol. I had a chance to intern in MD over the summer, (Interned in Suitland, lived in Greenbelt) I noticed the difference in the way people looked at you. I'd walk and pass somebody up on a pass-by and either nod my head or say "hi" and get nothing in return. So yea, i can beleive it when you say people are rude there. Luckily my mentor and some of his friends were from the south so i was in good hands.

I mainly wanna go for the experience, I mean the company is good... i mean.. great ... and 62K in VA I thought would b enough being single just to get by ... I was planning on staying a year or so to get a foot in the door w/ some experience and then moving out back downsouth somwhere.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:16 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,450,094 times
Oh, you're fine. It's a friendly enough place. The friendly/unfriendly issue is much more profound. There's also a trust/distrust component that might be masked under the friendly/unfriendly component (that is, I'm now in an area that is Southern/Midwestern and people are friendly, but distrustful, but don't show the distrust). In many ways I did better in VA.

And yes, the job experience can be absolutely invaluable. I mean, I could spend a few years working on Capitol Hill for peanuts, and then leverage that experience in other places in the country.

You're young. You'll be earning a very nice salary, especially for being so young. You're moving to a nice/safe area (Fairfax County). You're fine!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:08 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,826,958 times
One good thing about working in VA is that if the job doesn't work out, it's easy to get another one. In some areas of the country you could be in trouble.

I had a friend who worked for Northrop Grumman. He was transferred to a job in Hershey, PA. Then, funding fell through and the job came to an abrupt halt--he hadn't even been in Hershey a year. There were no other jobs. He had to pay the moving expenses to move in with his family in Texas, and as of right now he still hasn't been able to sell his house in Pennsylvania.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 AM

3,157 posts, read 8,118,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javon7143 View Post
I mainly wanna go for the experience, I mean the company is good... i mean.. great ... and 62K in VA I thought would b enough being single just to get by ... I was planning on staying a year or so to get a foot in the door w/ some experience and then moving out back downsouth somwhere.
From experience, 62K is plenty to get by if you're single and childless. You might not be living in luxury but you won't be starving on the street or living in the ghetto either. You can afford a decent studio or 1-bedroom or live with roommates to save more money.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
From experience, 62K is plenty to get by if you're single and childless. You might not be living in luxury but you won't be starving on the street or living in the ghetto either. You can afford a decent studio or 1-bedroom or live with roommates to save more money.
That's what i wanted to hear. I'm planning on possibly having a roomy to really save on some $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia