Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 AM

706 posts, read 1,308,407 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to the area and need to buy some furniture. I vaguely know of Haverty's (seems nice), Thomasville (seems to be for older people) and Ashley's (people seem to bad mouth them).

I am not a furniture expert.

I need something that will hold up, but don't want to spend a fortune.

Any advice on where to go locally? Someone suggested to me Upscaled Resale in Falls Church, VA but it looks like they closed. Are they other similar places? I have been looking on Craigslist, but lots of junk and much of it from Ikea.

I need a King bedroom set, kitchen table, computer desk and chair and some other odds and ends. Any advice you can lend would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 AM

6,552 posts, read 8,374,355 times
Lots of good advice in this thread:

Home Furniture

Old 09-15-2014, 11:50 AM

109 posts, read 155,523 times
I like Bob's furniture...

Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 AM

And Overstock.com believe it or not. Their white glove service delivers AND sets up the furniture. Amazon has a few items too

Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbunyan View Post
And Overstock.com believe it or not. Their white glove service delivers AND sets up the furniture. Amazon has a few items too

Overstock? The bedroom packages they have are thinly reviewed. Never thought of Amazon. They seem to have real cheap stuff.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Lots of good advice in this thread:

Home Furniture

Thank you kindly sir/mam.

Never heard of Bob's. Seems pretty good?

Someone at work mentioned Crate & Barrell. I had no clue they did bedroom sets, etc. How do they rank?

Old 09-15-2014, 12:48 PM

After doing some preliminary word of mouth comparison around the water cooler...

Value City is awful.

Bob's seems to be a good deal, aggressive salespeople, don't buy their extended warranty.

I would love to know the comparison between Ashley (horrible reviews it seems) and Bob's.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Overstock? The bedroom packages they have are thinly reviewed. Never thought of Amazon. They seem to have real cheap stuff.
What do you mean by cheap? Price or Quality?

I spent over 15 grand with Amazon last year buying plumbing and lighting fixtures and some furniture. Got a beautiful Spa Tub, a frameless glass shower enclosure, toilets, etc, etc.

Amazon sells the exact same items you can buy anywhere else only cheaper in PRICE.

The quality is excellent and their return policies are AWESOME!

And to compare Ashley and Bob's...I think Bob's had better prices. Ashley seemed to have slightly lower quality stuff. We were mainly looking for sofas. One thing IIRC is that Ashley did have a better dining room table selection. Bob's had better sofas (We picked that nice white leather sofa where every seat reclines...man I lub my sofa *sigh* lol)

Old 09-15-2014, 02:37 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,427,206 times
We just did bedroom furniture shopping in Fredericksburg so don't know and probably doubt if that's anywhere near you. We discovered Powells, Powell's Furniture - Fredericksburg, Richmond, Charlottesville, Virginia and Maryland Furniture Store, a family owned chain that has middle of the road prices. Also, you asked if anything like Upscale Resale exists. There is one very similar in Central Park in Fredericksburg, Encore, Encore Home Gallery. Their inventory is online so you can see but it doesn't show the discounting as they do over the period of time of the consignments.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 PM

I would rank Value City slightly above Bob's too. The name says Value City but when you walk in their showroom it definitely wasn't value pricing lol. They were the most expensive but I must admit most of their stuff looked very nice

Ranked by price. I can't rank on quality because it depends on what you are buying.

Value City
Hagerty's
Bob's
Ashley/Regency
IKEA <--Nice looking stuff but cheaply made. Breaks easily (I'm a big dude)

P.S. I bought this box spring http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This mattress Amazon.com - DynastyMattress New Cool Breeze 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress-King Size - Matresses King

And they feel a LOT better than any mattress I laid on locally. I laid on mattresses from Macy's, Mattress Discounters (What a joke lol. Their prices are bananas), Bob's, Regency, Sears...we went to virtually every mattress store in the area and laid on their gel foam mattresses. The prices STARTED at $1200 for a KING sized set. As you can see I got mines on Amazon for around $800 and it feels better than anything else.

Oh yeah. We also went to Mclean furniture. Those prices almost had me ready to pass out lol. $6,000 Versace chairs, $4000 end tables, $2000 lamps. It must be nice for the 1%. The owner said she had a low cost warehouse but we never checked it out. I felt kinda bad too because she was very very nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia