U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:47 AM

594 posts, read 853,886 times

Advertisements

In this town a ten minute drive is half a mile and no left hand turns.
Could you bike to work without taking your life in your hands every day.?
I would choose the car myself if transfer time is waiting at a bus stop. And do you mean 50 min each in morning commute and PM?
(If you rent someone's space in a driveway you would have to be out before they get home-so no happy hours)

Last edited by Lemming95; 09-21-2014 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,915,158 times
The ten minute drive.

Flexibility with departure times and running errands
The car will be the most flexible.

Weather (much of the transit option involves being outside)
The car is the best because you do not have to walk anywhere, if it bothers you that much.

Germophobia
Car wins, and this is probably the best reason to drive. The mass transit system is like a germ mobile.

Transit subsidy = free commute
The free commute is great, but how beneficial it is depends on your income, and if the amount is really that much of an impact.

Early garage closing times = potentially unhappy happy hour(s)
Find a garage that does not close early. The garage thing is pretty predictable, it is not like you can be surprised by it.

I take the metro and do not mind it, but the thing that irritates me is the getting sick from being around a massive number of sick people on the metro, and the wait times that sometime occur, then that leads to very crowded trains that I have to wait until the next one to get in. Then you have the occasional break down which can have you waiting a half hour or more. But this is the metro system, the bus could be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia