U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,646 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a couple in our early 30s relocating to the DC area for a few years. We have visited the area and are very interested in renting an apartment in either Courthouse or Rosslyn in VA or Cleveland Park or Woodley Park in DC. We are wondering what some of the pros and cons of each area would be. Our work will be on the red line, and we know VA is on the orange line, but we are ok with the commute. Also, we have been getting emails from a realtor with different apartments in the areas available for rent. Are there good main streets to be near in any of the locations and are there some bad areas/streets to avoid that are on the outskirts? We have walked down Wilson Blvd. in VA and it seems nice. It is tough to tell by the listings we are receiving whether those are in good or bad areas or on the outskirts. I know all these areas are generally safe and have been highly recommended, but just wanted further detail before we select 6-7 buildings we want to see.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,614,269 times
Both areas are highly desirable. If you have a car, you may want to look into having a parking space available with your rental. Otherwise, you'll have to hunt for a space on the street every day and it can be difficult in any of those areas. It has been many years since I lived in both areas, but I remember back then, my taxes were much lower in Arlington versus DC and the government services were a lot better in VA.

Overall both areas are safe. Obviously, the closer you are to the metro station, the safer you may feel walking at night. I also think that while Rosslyn is close to the Court House-Ballston corridor, it isn't as populated at night because there are more businesses there. It tends to quiet down and doesn't have the same feel as Court House and Clarendon.

The Washington Post shows the crimes reported on maps so you can check those when considering where to live. Also, as you look into renting an apartment, you might want to consider condos for rent in the area.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:37 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,358,022 times
I concur with everything mlv311 said.

Personally, I don't find Rosslyn to be that appealing of an area because it's pretty much dead after work hours and there isn't a lot of ground-level retail or dining options. Georgetown is a quick-ish walk/drive across the river, but still, personally I prefer more things within a shorter walk, but that's just me.

As mlv311 pointed out, a lot of people prefer living in Virginia over DC due to taxation and school issues, and also less red tape with the government and general infrastructure issues (everything from trash pick-up to snow plowing to registering your car). But then again, a lot of people are willing to put up with that for the cache and convenience of living in DC which oftentimes means shorter commutes, more urbanity and closer proximity to all sorts of attractions.

There's really no areas to avoid in any of the neighborhoods. They are all desirable and low-crime areas and a bit removed from sketchier parts of their respective communities.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,448,096 times
Hi,

I lived in two apartment complexes around Courthouse: Courtland Towers and The Meridian. Both were upscale and nice. My problem is that I always think of that area as just a place to park during your "workaholic" DC phase - you know, apartment as place to crash, rather than as place to live. (Although there are very nice restaurants nearby).

To me, the DC option sounds more appealing. Then again, I've told several people on the DC board to go exactly there, so I'm biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or