U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:54 AM

617 posts, read 1,152,510 times

Advertisements

It's funny, growing up in the Falls Church/McLean area in the mid-late 90's, Woodbridge was definitely considered the sticks, and was basically "that place with the Potomac Mills sign on the way to Kings Dominion." In later years, when we got older and we were driving, it became that place with the 24 hour Wal-Mart where you could go if you really needed a late night snack or wanted to look for a video/computer game and couldn't wait till morning.

Now that I've lived in Lake Ridge for a decade, I like it down here. I'd still move back if I could for my kids' schools and a nicer commute, but this is definitely not a bad area. Having spent time in places like Detroit for business, referring to the greater PW area as a hood is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:17 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Hey Tone509, why don't you send this information about Reston as #10 in the country to a certain poster on the Pittsburgh forum and see the reaction?
I think I'll let them discover it on their own.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,686,517 times
I feel like they just throw a dart with their eyes closed sometimes with these rankings. The strangest places end up on them that make absolutely no sense to anyone who has ever lived around here.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,686,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Now that I've lived in Lake Ridge for a decade, I like it down here. I'd still move back if I could for my kids' schools and a nicer commute, but this is definitely not a bad area. Having spent time in places like Detroit for business, referring to the greater PW area as a hood is a joke.
I agree, PW is not a hood to anyone who has actually seen a hood.

That being said, the traffic not only between DC and Woodbridge, but within Woodbridge is nauseating.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:08 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,794,919 times
Woodbridge isn't bad. I just wish it didn't feel so detached from DC.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 AM

617 posts, read 1,152,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I agree, PW is not a hood to anyone who has actually seen a hood.

That being said, the traffic not only between DC and Woodbridge, but within Woodbridge is nauseating.
Oh there's definitely that. I live off of Old Bridge Road and it can take me a 1/2 hour to get home from 123 some evenings. That's a pisser.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:45 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,794,919 times
Old Bridge can be a nightmare. I see it every day. But luckily I'm going in the opposite direction.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:15 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Oh, I agree. It's not better than any other of those places. But we could say the same every year they pick a place.

I just get irritated when posters pick on certain places and the vibe given is always the same old sterotypes (in fact I saw it from that poster the other day referring to it as the 'hood). If you think Woodbridge and Dale City are "hoods and "not nice", you are definitely being quite elitist.

My rebuttal to that is, objectively, why can't Dale City be voted on the list? It has a lot to offer a wide, diverse group of people and that's a good quality.
I worked all over PWC in my PWCPD career with many years in Dale City. It's not a town but just a huge neighborhood with the far western end much nicer than the older eastern end. It has good neighborhoods and it has neighborhoods you couldn't pay me to live in. Officers typically did not like working Dale City as it was a not stop mess of calls for service typically involving juveniles. I never saw so many juvenile problems as we did in Dale City. I fail to see how it's listed as one of the most desirable areas to live and just because it has a diverse group should not make it necessarily a great area to live per any kind of publication.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:00 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,092,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Oh there's definitely that. I live off of Old Bridge Road and it can take me a 1/2 hour to get home from 123 some evenings. That's a pisser.
You see, that's what I'm *not* seeing but I don't live off Old Bridge. My parents do and I am OH SO THANKFUL that I didn't buy off that road. I wanted to, let me tell. Wouldn't do it now for anything. I live down by Cardinal. I rarely encounter traffic in Woodbridge at all with the exception of having to go to a doctor off of Old Bridge or if I use Minnieville Road between the Parkway and Dale BLVD during rush hour. After that, it is quite easy driving around.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:05 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,092,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I worked all over PWC in my PWCPD career with many years in Dale City. It's not a town but just a huge neighborhood with the far western end much nicer than the older eastern end. It has good neighborhoods and it has neighborhoods you couldn't pay me to live in. Officers typically did not like working Dale City as it was a not stop mess of calls for service typically involving juveniles. I never saw so many juvenile problems as we did in Dale City. I fail to see how it's listed as one of the most desirable areas to live and just because it has a diverse group should not make it necessarily a great area to live per any kind of publication.
I live very close to Dale City and I would not move into the Hylton Homes area of Dale City either. Part of the problem is that many of those home were built in the 1960s and they are tiny and cheap. So what does that mean--lower income groups buying the houses or there are tons of rentals. With that comes less parental involvement and unsupervised juveniles. The same thing happened in my townhouse neighborhood in Maryland after a time.

As far as why it's listed--it is #37 out #50 so no great shakes there; however, I think it's affordability was probably the driving factor as well as, as the article stated, it's proximity to amenities.

As for your overall assessment of Dale City, I feel the same was about it and Manassas, which I know you love but I think it has the same reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or