Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 6,189 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am a long-time DC resident (17 years!) who is making the move across the river to VA in a few months. My husband and I want more space for our toddler and baby on the way and need to cut our expenses.

However, even though we've lived in the DMV a long time, we don't know NOVA all that well and could really use some logistical advice from those of you who are more familiar with the area.

We have narrowed our search to Alexandria or possibly Arlington, but of course that is actually quite a large area! We want to zero in on more specific neighborhoods, but are having a hard time figuring out how to connect all the dots (where we live/price/childcare/work commute/parking).

Here are the details:

--We want to rent a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom (minimum) house, townhouse or condo.
--We would love to live somewhere that is somewhat walkable so that we don't have to be completely car dependent (though this is not a requirement).
--Our child will most likely be going to daycare near 395/Seminary Rd. exit.
--I work in downtown DC and currently take the Metro to work.
--I'd like to continue taking Metro, as I don't really want to drive in and out of the city each day (traffic-ugh).
--Husband works from home most days and has a flexible schedule so his commute isn't a large factor in our decision.

We have so many questions but we don't have any friends who live in Alexandria and commute in to DC. Any advice/guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 02:54 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,686,052 times
The big question: budget?

We live in N. Arlington; my wife works in DC, and I work right near your kid's daycare. The commute for both of us is easy, because most people are still going the opposite direction, in either case.

Arlington is an easy commute to DC. Alexandria isn't as bad as other areas, but you still will be stuck with the masses commuting from areas south of there into DC. Even on the smaller arterials going into Arlington, the difference between southbound in the morning (easy) and northbound (lots of traffic) is striking.

The areas with the best schools will be most expensive, unfortunately.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Ah yes, budget. We are hoping to stay at $2600 or less.

What is N. Arlington's zip? Or what are the common neighborhood names?

We aren't thinking ahead to schools just yet. We want to rent for a few years to get a better idea of where we want to settle down more permanently.

Thanks for your response!

Old 09-24-2014, 03:15 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,686,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj28l View Post
Ah yes, budget. We are hoping to stay at $2600 or less.

What is N. Arlington's zip? Or what are the common neighborhood names?

We aren't thinking ahead to schools just yet. We want to rent for a few years to get a better idea of where we want to settle down more permanently.

Thanks for your response!
Glad to help. The odd-numbered zips are N. Arlington (22201-09); the even ones are S. Arlington. Route 50 is the divider.

If schools aren't the priority, then you have a lot more flexibility, and I wouldn't see much point in paying the higher rents demanded in the better school pyramids. Although S. Arlington has some genuinely ugly, low-income areas (generally the farther southwest you go--e.g., Columbia Heights West and Nauck), some of it is quite nice--especially Arlington Heights and Penrose. GlenCarlyn is also not bad. Far North Arlington (north of Lee Highway, especially the farther west you go) is very quiet, quintessentially surburban and car-dependent (except for a few bus routes).

Pentagon City and Crystal City (also in S. Arl.) have a lot to offer but will cost more simply because they're on the Metro line. Same for Rosslyn/Ballston/East Falls Church and all stations in between on the Orange Line. I think something about 1/2 mile to 1 mile from one of the OL stations or P. City/Crystal City would hit your sweet spot of walkability and budget.

Also don't write off places along Lee Highway--e.g., Cherrydale, Maywood, Waverly Hills. The 3Y bus goes along Lee from Lee-Harrison Shopping Center to McPherson Square and is very dependable. Lee Heights Shops is on the south side of Lee, between Glebe and Quincy.

Another option in N. Arlington (kind of between EFC and Ballston) is Westover. Tons of shops there--hardware store, beer garden, and soon to be another branch of The Italian Store.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 09-24-2014 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 8,607 times
We lived in Arlington for 30 years (moved to Reston two years ago when we downsized) and can vouch it's a wonderful place to raise a family. Both South and North are good--we lived in both (please be wary of those who live in N. Arlington and think it's the only place to live). Arlington is however very expensive, but South in general is cheaper, esp. to buy. The area around Columbia Pike is hopping now with lots of new development and from there you can get a bus to the Pentagon and easily into town. (A streetcar system looks like it's coming within next few years.) Our second neighborhood was within walking distance of Ballston metro, which is deveoped, and yet we were in a very cute neighborhood. I second the motion to look into the Westover neighborhood. It has a real nice small town feel to it and you should be able to walk to East Falls Church Metro. In fact, a lot of Arlington has a small town feel, in spite of the development and the throngs of young people who are attracted to Clarendon.

The Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria is also a great place to live--again, you can get a Main Street feeling along Mt. Vernon Avenue. Townhouses (older brick ones) in Warwick Village are still a reasonable buy for those starting out, I think.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:01 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,511,480 times
I would say with your budget, Shirlington or Columbia Pike in South Arlington would probably hit the sweet spot for you. Interestingly, the elementary schools along Columbia Pike have pretty good reviews. Columbia Pike also has tons of buses that can take you to the Pentagon Metro in 10 mins, L'Enfant & Archives area in 25 mins, or the Farragut West/McPhereson Square area in 25 mins.

Shirlington in South Arlington might be another good area for you with a good elementary school. Would be closer to the daycare. Also has tons of buses that can you take you to the Pentagon in 10 minutes, Farragust West in 20 minutes, and the Chinatown/Convention Center area in 35 minutes.

Del Ray in Alexandria is another option, but their schools don't have the best reviews.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:42 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,205,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj28l View Post
Hi!
We have narrowed our search to Alexandria or possibly Arlington, but of course that is actually quite a large area! We want to zero in on more specific neighborhoods, but are having a hard time figuring out how to connect all the dots (where we live/price/childcare/work commute/parking).
Here is my input for the city of Alexandria. I've lived in Alexandria for over a decade and raised my kids here. I really like it here. I've also lived in Arlington. Housing availability is going to be better in Arlington (larger area, choice of North and South), but for what it's worth, I'll give you some Alexandria info.

There are numerous townhouses/rowhouses and duplexes. I'm less familiar with prices in Old Town, so my comments are limited to the neighborhoods of Del Ray and Rosemont, both of which are near Metrorail (more below). Both are in zipcode 22301. The caveat is that a lot of townhouses/duplexes are 2 BR, and the 3BRs often will be one and a half baths, not two full baths. I'm seeing rents around $2,500 and $2,600 for 3BR townhouses/duplexes. There obviously are other areas of Alexandria, but I'm focusing on the places close to Metrorail.

The main roads through Rosemont are Commonwealth Ave and Russell Road. Commonwealth has a lot of townhouses, as do the intersecting streets (mostly at the end near King St Metro). There are two major playgrounds I can think of, Beach Playground behind Maury Elementary, and Blue Playground, near King St Metro and just behind Commonwealth. It's currently undergoing total renovation/reconstruction, but when it was in use there were lots of (usually small) kids with parents and caregivers there.

The main roads through Del Ray are Mt Vernon Ave and Commonwealth Ave. Mt Vernon is the "main drag" and what some characterize as being like "Main Street, U.S.A." because of its businesses. Del Ray is very popular and you'll see a lot of people, strollers, and dogs out along Mt Vernon Ave. Duncan Library is nearby, as are several playgrounds and play areas. Del Ray has a variety of family-friendly activities. For example, they have a Halloween parade and shut down Mt Vernon Ave for the kids to walk down, they have First Thursdays in the warm months, there's a farmer's market, Art on the Avenue (art show where vendors are on Mt Vernon Ave - closed to cars), and outdoor bands during these events. This is where you have the best walkability from home to businesses, although a large grocery store is not there. Monroe St has a Walgreen's, CVS, and small Giant grocery store. Larger grocers are a short drive away.

Then there are the new developments in Potomac Yard. Those are really taking off and their sporting facilities (tennis, basketball, volleyball) and kids' playground are popular. Not so close to Metro, however, and I don't know their rents.

--We would love to live somewhere that is somewhat walkable so that we don't have to be completely car dependent (though this is not a requirement).
Rosemont is residential, with the Grape and Bean wine (and beer) & coffee shop being the only business I can think of. If you located near King St Metro, it's an easy walk into the north edge of Old Town. Whole Foods is walking distance. If you chose a more northern section of Rosemont (closer to Braddock), you can get to some businesses on foot but you'd likely use your car for shopping. A bike would be ideal.

Our child will most likely be going to daycare near 395/Seminary Rd. exit.
An easy drive either up Braddock Rd and cut over to Seminary on Howard or Van Dorn, or King St to Janneys Lane to Seminary Road.

I work in downtown DC and currently take the Metro to work.
King or Braddock Metro for Rosemont, Braddock for Del Ray. As you get closer to Braddock Rd, it makes more sense to use Braddock Metro station. In fact, even if you live closer to King St Metro, Braddock isn't that far away when you use the side streets (E. Linden). If you lived in Del Ray, if you chose more northerly it could be quite a hike to Braddock Metro.

Best of luck!

Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 AM

6,520 posts, read 8,321,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Here is my input for the city of Alexandria. I've lived in Alexandria for over a decade and raised my kids here. I really like it here. I've also lived in Arlington. Housing availability is going to be better in Arlington (larger area, choice of North and South), but for what it's worth, I'll give you some Alexandria info.

There are numerous townhouses/rowhouses and duplexes. I'm less familiar with prices in Old Town, so my comments are limited to the neighborhoods of Del Ray and Rosemont, both of which are near Metrorail (more below). Both are in zipcode 22301. The caveat is that a lot of townhouses/duplexes are 2 BR, and the 3BRs often will be one and a half baths, not two full baths. I'm seeing rents around $2,500 and $2,600 for 3BR townhouses/duplexes. There obviously are other areas of Alexandria, but I'm focusing on the places close to Metrorail.

The main roads through Rosemont are Commonwealth Ave and Russell Road. Commonwealth has a lot of townhouses, as do the intersecting streets (mostly at the end near King St Metro). There are two major playgrounds I can think of, Beach Playground behind Maury Elementary, and Blue Playground, near King St Metro and just behind Commonwealth. It's currently undergoing total renovation/reconstruction, but when it was in use there were lots of (usually small) kids with parents and caregivers there.

The main roads through Del Ray are Mt Vernon Ave and Commonwealth Ave. Mt Vernon is the "main drag" and what some characterize as being like "Main Street, U.S.A." because of its businesses. Del Ray is very popular and you'll see a lot of people, strollers, and dogs out along Mt Vernon Ave. Duncan Library is nearby, as are several playgrounds and play areas. Del Ray has a variety of family-friendly activities. For example, they have a Halloween parade and shut down Mt Vernon Ave for the kids to walk down, they have First Thursdays in the warm months, there's a farmer's market, Art on the Avenue (art show where vendors are on Mt Vernon Ave - closed to cars), and outdoor bands during these events. This is where you have the best walkability from home to businesses, although a large grocery store is not there. Monroe St has a Walgreen's, CVS, and small Giant grocery store. Larger grocers are a short drive away.

Then there are the new developments in Potomac Yard. Those are really taking off and their sporting facilities (tennis, basketball, volleyball) and kids' playground are popular. Not so close to Metro, however, and I don't know their rents.

Rosemont is residential, with the Grape and Bean wine (and beer) & coffee shop being the only business I can think of. If you located near King St Metro, it's an easy walk into the north edge of Old Town. Whole Foods is walking distance. If you chose a more northern section of Rosemont (closer to Braddock), you can get to some businesses on foot but you'd likely use your car for shopping. A bike would be ideal.

Our child will most likely be going to daycare near 395/Seminary Rd. exit.
An easy drive either up Braddock Rd and cut over to Seminary on Howard or Van Dorn, or King St to Janneys Lane to Seminary Road.

I work in downtown DC and currently take the Metro to work.
King or Braddock Metro for Rosemont, Braddock for Del Ray. As you get closer to Braddock Rd, it makes more sense to use Braddock Metro station. In fact, even if you live closer to King St Metro, Braddock isn't that far away when you use the side streets (E. Linden). If you lived in Del Ray, if you chose more northerly it could be quite a hike to Braddock Metro.

Best of luck!
I second this recommendation of the Del Ray/Rosemont area of Alexandria. These are perfect areas for a young family, and I automatically thought of Del Ray when you listed your wants.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...08-27344?row=1

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...09-30861?row=2

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...21-83372?row=1

Last edited by HokieFan; 09-25-2014 at 08:02 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 08:18 AM

WOW! Thanks so much for all the great info, everyone! We LOVE Del Ray and are definitely interested in that neighborhood, but have not been sure if it's affordable. However, the links from HokieFan give me some renewed hope! So thank you! We also love Shirlington, but haven't found a ton of available places yet. As for S. Arlington, I am exploring that right now. All kinds of great suggestions!

Now, my next question is about Metro parking. If I drop my son off at daycare near Seminary Rd, where can I park and then take Metrorail or bus in to downtown? I've checked out the Metro website to find out about which stations have parking, but aside from that, I'm not sure what other parking options exist. Does anyone have experience with this? Which Metro lots fill up the fastest and which ones usually have space? Obviously a ton of people do this every day, but I know nothing about it!

Again, THANK YOU ALL for your extremely helpful comments! I appreciate it so much!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:15 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,250,900 times
I believe people were giving you advice on the assumption that you wouldn't be taking the kids to daycare. Braddock and King St really don't have parking and I'm not aware of any park/ride lots around Seminary Rd. If you aren't married to this daycare, why not find something close to where you will be living and/or have your husband do the drop/pickup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia