U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 1,854 times

Advertisements

I have been a stay at home mom for the past 8 years, recently started applying for positions and got offered a job in manassas. ..i was thrilled that I got the job, money is decent but it is in manassas va!!!!!

I currently live right off 522 and rt 20 in orange county (considered unionville)

For the interview my navigation took me 29 north to 66 to 234 and then balls ford rd where my office is located. It took me 1 hr 45 mins :-( and was around 1 pm on a friday...

My office hours will be 8-4:30 and I need to know the best route to take to work..navigation said it is 59 miles from door to door which is not horrendous but getting to 66 was an absolute joke :-/

Please please help if you can, I am excited to be back in the working world but I absolutely can not take the job if I'm going to have a 2 hour commute home! I desperately want to work but do not want to arrive home just to put my daughter to bed ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 04:26 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,819,398 times
Move closer to Manassas? Or is that not an option?

Old 09-27-2014, 05:33 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,584,656 times
I know the area where you live. We are now at Lake Anna and drive to NoVa via 522 all the time. Have you checked the time by cutting up rt. 28 off of rt. 29 to Manassas? I know 234 connects on the south side of Manassas so depending on where your job is it must be closer. I have no idea how backed up 28 gets for rush hour times but at least it gets you out of the mess in Gainesville with others who are headed further in on 66. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 PM

Thank you for the reply guys...moving to manassas is not an option my daughter is in her 7th grade year here and I just can't make her move. My family moved around so much but didn't start until I was in 5th grade and I remember how hard it was so I absolutely can't do it unless I have no other option.

We are not far from lake anna :-) we spent most of the summer out there this year! I adore where we live and don't want to change it.

My husband works in manassas as well and uses 28 to get to work..i know the slow traffic on 28 has been a complaint of his for several years so I'm not sure if it would be more helpful or not, but I appreciate your help!

If anyone else has any suggestions I would be grateful for them as well!

Thanks again

Old 09-27-2014, 09:22 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
You really have no good options. You already know 28 can be very slow and 29 to 66 is no better. There are some back road options starting at Fitzwater Dr in Nokesville off 28 that can get you over to Vint Hill Rd and to Linton Hall Rd to eventually Balls Ford but lots of people are doing the same thing.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:46 PM

Thank you, it's looking more and more likely that I'm just going to have to turn down the position and keep searching closer to home :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia