Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:43 AM

721 posts, read 1,203,849 times

Advertisements

I rented a condo from a condo owner and my lease expires today (Sept 30).

I scheduled closing the gas account with Washington Gas for Sept 29 (yesterday). A window from noon-5pm for yesterday was scheduled with a technician to physically shut down the gas.

However, when the technician arrived at 1:30pm, a Verizon Fios technician happened to be at my new condo to install the Fios service.

I asked the Washington Gas technician to call me in 2 hours. He said since he was very busy in the neighborhood, he wasn't sure if he would call again. It turned out he didn't.

What will happen to my gas account at my old address? Washington Gas representative told me that without a technician physically accessing my old unit and shutting down the gas, they will continue to bill me for the usage (at the old unit).

However, I'll have to turn over my key to my landlord (the condo owner) later today. Therefore, I won't be able to have access to that unit myself. Any advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 05:58 AM

6,529 posts, read 8,328,995 times
Call to confirm the gas was turned off.

The shutoff valve is located outside the unit (typically), and in my experience, they don't need to access the inside of the unit to shut off the gas. If there is a gas fireplace in the unit, you should turn off the gas to that before handing over the keys.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:46 AM

15,408 posts, read 25,698,521 times
Fight them. It's not your home anymore.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If there is a gas fireplace in the unit, you should turn off the gas to that before handing over the keys.
There is a gas fireplace. I've never used it. So I assume it's off.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 AM

6,529 posts, read 8,328,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
There is a gas fireplace. I've never used it. So I assume it's off.
Do you know or notice if the pilot light was ever lit?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,705,938 times
I just turned off my gas with them in Aug, never saw anyone, but it was a SFH, not a condo.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Just talked to the property manager. The gas valve is inside the unit, and the technician needs to go inside the unit to shut off gas. The manager is kind enough to offer to lend the technician the courtesy key to the unit when he comes.

I just hope the landlord (the condo owner) will not replace the lock after I turn in the keys today.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 AM

9,865 posts, read 14,041,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
I just hope the landlord (the condo owner) will not replace the lock after I turn in the keys today.
Unless you were a problem tenant and he fears property damage, I doubt that changing the locks is high on his priority list.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:04 PM

989 posts, read 2,848,024 times
Normally the owner should just put the gas in his name after today. It behooves them to do that so they don't have to pay the fee to have it turned back on. Ask your old landlord.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Normally the owner should just put the gas in his name after today. It behooves them to do that so they don't have to pay the fee to have it turned back on. Ask your old landlord.
You're right in that the owner (my former landlord) should transfer the account to his name. However, since he's very busy and most of the time only responds to issues that concerns him, I'm not sure if he will do it.

After reading the reviews on yelp about Washington Gas (http://www.yelp.com/biz/washington-gas-washington-3), I've decided to be present when the technician shuts off valve so that I'll have proof that my account is closed.

To provide an update, I stopped by the Washington Gas office yesterday to request a technician visit. They scheduled a 10-hour-window from 7am-5pm for today.

I waited since 7am with my cell phone close to me at any point in time. It was a no-show until 3:30pm. I called Washington Gas and asked if they had dispatched any technician.

The representative said it was only 3:30pm and the technician would show up by 5pm as scheduled.

At 5pm, I called Washington Gas again and asked where the technician was. The rep said the technician must have gone somewhere to take care of an emergency.

But the rep offered an alternative. I can stop by the Washington Gas office tomorrow with my rental lease with my former landlord to demonstrate an expiration of Sept 30. The rep also suggested that I show them email exchange with my former landlord with my move-out date.

Additionally, I scheduled a 10-hour-window with a technician for Friday to shut off gas (in case the documents I provide tomorrow are not accepted for whatever reason).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia