Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 11:35 AM

110 posts, read 268,976 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an opinion of the High View Park/Hall's Hill neighborhood for a young family? Do you think housing prices will remain stable? The houses tend to list a bit cheaper, and while some of the area is a little run down looking, there seems to be an effort for revitalization (at least from a housing perspective), there are good schools, and it's a decent location.

Last edited by cantthinkofone; 10-01-2014 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 02:28 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
Does anyone have an opinion of the High View Park/Hall's Hill neighborhood for a young family? Do you think housing prices will remain stable? The houses tend to list a bit cheaper, and while some of the area is a little run down looking, there seems to be an effort for revitalization (at least from a housing perspective), there are good schools, and it's a decent location.
We used to live fairly nearby. Highview Park is kind of an oddity in North Arlington--a traditionally black, low-income neighborhood (that in fact dates back to segregation) in what is the wealthiest Arlington zip code, 22207. However--it seems to be gentrifying fast, with a lot of new houses replacing the tiny prewar frame houses. This is no surprise, as HP is in one of the very top school pyramids and is quick bus ride to Ballston or East Falls Church, yet far enough to be out of range of wandering drunk frat-bros who want to urinate in someone's yard. (The latter is now a huge problem in Lyon Village, the tony neighborhood just north of Clarendon.) It's also a quick shot to I-66 and Route 50.

If you buy there, you'll still have a bit more crime, loitering, and litter than in nearby areas, but if you can stick it out, you will definitely see your property values increase over time.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:31 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,124 times
I live in Lyon Village. I'd say we're more north of court house but either way, yea, it can get pretty rowdy. We've only been here for 2 months, but for the most part, as least our apartment building, it's very quiet and tame. At least our floor.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:39 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
Quote:
It's very close to Arlington Hospital - guess that could have both positives and negatives.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It's very close to Arlington Hospital - guess that could have both positives and negatives.
Positives I would say are only if you work there. We've been there as patients and family of patients and are very much unimpressed. We would choose Fairfax Inova unless it's an emergency--and even then, if we could possibly hold out to get to Inova, we would.

BTW, Alex Ovechkin used to live on N. 16th St, on the south border of the hospital. (Highview Park is on the north side.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-01-2014 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 PM

110 posts, read 268,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
We used to live fairly nearby. Highview Park is kind of an oddity in North Arlington--a traditionally black, low-income neighborhood (that in fact dates back to segregation) in what is the wealthiest Arlington zip code, 22207. However--it seems to be gentrifying fast, with a lot of new houses replacing the tiny prewar frame houses. This is no surprise, as HP is in one of the very top school pyramids and is quick bus ride to Ballston or East Falls Church, yet far enough to be out of range of wandering drunk frat-bros who want to urinate in someone's yard. (The latter is now a huge problem in Lyon Village, the tony neighborhood just north of Clarendon.) It's also a quick shot to I-66 and Route 50.

If you buy there, you'll still have a bit more crime, loitering, and litter than in nearby areas, but if you can stick it out, you will definitely see your property values increase over time.
I read about the history and found it very interesting. Thank you for your input. And I had a good laugh at the "wandering drunk frat-bros who want to urinate in someone's yard" - couldn't agree more!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I read about the history and found it very interesting. Thank you for your input. And I had a good laugh at the "wandering drunk frat-bros who want to urinate in someone's yard" - couldn't agree more!
Glad to help. I think if you find a house there you really like, the area is a bargain and a great investment. You can always get an alarm system (a good idea anywhere, in my view) and maybe a large dog. Plus a lot of the low-income folks are decent people, many of them older.

Maybe you saw this, but WaPo profiled the area a couple of years ago:
Neighborhood Profile: High View Park - The Washington Post

And here's more history:
When Arlington Did the Right Thing - Arlington Public Library : Arlington Public Library

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:12 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
The emergency vehicle sirens could be a problem.

With all due respect to Carl., FWIW, Arlington Hospital gets very good ratings. Eg
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospit...center-6340040

Anecdotally, I had a procedure done there and couldn't have been more pleased with the competence and pleasantness of the staff. I also see several affiliated doctors with offices in the complex and all are very good.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:24 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
The emergency vehicle sirens could be a problem.

With all due respect to Carl., FWIW, Arlington Hospital gets very good ratings. Eg
Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, VA - US News Best Hospitals

Anecdotally, I had a procedure done there and couldn't have been more pleased with the competence and pleasantness of the staff. I also see several affiliated doctors with offices in the complex and all are very good.
Members of my family have always had good experiences at Arlington Hospital. It's certainly more navigable than Fairfax Inova, which is gigantic and best visited with bread crumbs to retrace one's steps.

I was just referring (as potential negatives) to the noise from emergency vehicles as well as the traffic that cuts through the neighborhood from Glebe to get to the hospital and nearby hospice.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:32 AM

Re. VHC Arlington: One of us was recently there in the emergency department; they accidentally gave us some other patient's drug information, and in the one available restroom, the seat on the one available toilet had a big chunk broken off. Then we got a bill that misspelled the name of our street (which is a common, easy name) by a comical degree. Amazing it actually reached us. To top it off, they called a collection agency over a $10 balance for which the relative never received a bill. So our experiences there have been lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: