U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 6,101 times

Advertisements

Hello, New to the forum. My parents are looking to move to Virginia to be near the grandkids of my sister.
Sister lives in Fredericksberg. My parents are not too internet savy.
They are looking to move close to the grandkids, but don't like the hustle and bustle of
Fredericksberg. How are the house prices (they are looking below the 325 range) and are there towns and villages near Stafford, Georgtown?, King George? My mother is a social butterfly, loves tea shops, and shopping and yoga. My dad likes to be home more and tinker in the garage. Hoping to find a happy medium for these retired New Yorkers. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 11:58 AM

6,600 posts, read 10,922,324 times
Fredericksburg would be a good fit for Mom but not sure about Dad. Georgetown is in DC and 325,00 might buy a shack. Stafford surrounds Fredericksburg but is more an open county while Fredericksburg has more charm. King George will be cheaper but not sure Mom would find what she's looking for.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:12 PM

My mom would take a town 20 minutes away. Like a village with shops and library. Things to do. Festivals. They both
like restaurants and going out to eat. They don't want to pay more than 340 for a house but don't want to be out in the woods
either. It's a tough one.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,165,046 times
My FIL lives near Lake of the Woods in Locust Grove, VA. This is about a 25 minute ride from the "hubbub" of Fredericksburg, yet gives you the country feel.

You won't find many "towns" and "villages" in NoVA unless you go more west to places such as Winchester, Middleburg, Waterford, et al.

This might be right up their alley.

Lake of the Woods Virginia Area Information, Lake of the Woods Real Estate

Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM

5,105 posts, read 5,420,188 times
Check out the Town of Orange and surrounding area. A short drive to Fredericksburg (40 minutes), it's a small town in rural central VA and has shops, some restaurants. $325k will get them a nice house in Orange County.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Where is Georgetown? Is that near Alexandria? Does it have a village and shops?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:46 PM

5,105 posts, read 5,420,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee2599 View Post
Where is Georgetown? Is that near Alexandria? Does it have a village and shops?
Georgetown is in Washington, DC. Your parents would hate it if they don't like the hustle and bustle of Fredericksburg. Fredericksburg is mild compared to the DC Metro region.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:02 PM

687 posts, read 1,134,336 times
Since they are retirees they might want to consider the Celebrate by Del Webb community. It is off Route 17 just north of Fredericksburg. It's a new development.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:04 PM

163 posts, read 263,469 times
Quote:
My mom would take a town 20 minutes away. Like a village with shops and library. Things to do. Festivals. They both
like restaurants and going out to eat. They don't want to pay more than 340 for a house but don't want to be out in the woods
either. It's a tough one.
It's not so tough. take a map or a google earth screen, find and draw a 10 mile circle with your sister's place in the middle and go from there. 20 minutes in heavy traffic is much different than 20 minutes of easy open roads so if there is some leeway, it would only help.

From what you stated here, they would want to be south or west of Fburg but if they see themselves going into or towards DC and/or Richmond, they might want to be closer to Fburg than 20 minutes.

The thing about this area is that we have so much development going on that it only makes sense to get with a professional as quickly as possible. My advice would be to contact a realtor that specializes in these things. Check AARP and other retirement type websites for references and pose the question to them because they probably deal with this every day.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 PM

7,973 posts, read 9,747,048 times
Quote:
Hello, New to the forum. My parents are looking to move to Virginia to be near the grandkids of my sister.
Sister lives in Fredericksberg. My parents are not too internet savy.
They are looking to move close to the grandkids, but don't like the hustle and bustle of
Fredericksberg. How are the house prices (they are looking below the 325 range) and are there towns and villages near Stafford, Georgtown?, King George? My mother is a social butterfly, loves tea shops, and shopping and yoga. My dad likes to be home more and tinker in the garage. Hoping to find a happy medium for these retired New Yorkers. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.
Why hasn't your sister offered suggestions? One would think she would be the best person because she knows your parents and knows the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or