U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2014, 11:18 AM
 
20 posts, read 21,232 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Does anyone have any opinions about living in South Arlington/Shirlington area vice Old Town? I rent in Old Town and LOVE the location, but my budget for condos tops out at about 350K, and everthing I've seen there in my budget is so tiny or has so few amenities it just doesn't seem like a good buy.
I've been considering places in Shirlington that would allow me to walk to Shirlington Village when the mood strikes, as walkability is very important to me. I can certainly get a lot more for my money there, but I keep wondering if it will be depressing living in Shirlington after having gotten used to Old Town. Insights are appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2014, 12:13 PM
 
1,623 posts, read 4,326,985 times
Reputation: 1292
If you are interested in Old Town, you can check the fringes of it. There are condos near Slater's Lane, Colecroft and Colecroft Station near the Braddock St. metro, Ft. Ellsworth just over the bridge past the Masonic Temple, and parts of Rosemont on the other side of the train tracks. Not all of these places have the 22314 area code so it isn't as easy to search.

If you are interested in Shirlington, don't forget Fairlington (both in Arlington and Alexandria) and Parkfairfax, which are easy walking or biking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2014, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
213 posts, read 429,631 times
Reputation: 106
I haven't lived in either but I visit both locations all the time so I definitely get the appeal. I know several people that really enjoy the convenience if living in shirlington. Some like that it's really dog friendly. You're also closer to the Clarendon ballston area or dc if that interests you. It depends on if you're okay not being near the metro and having to drive about 15 mins to visit old town. The other side is being okay with walking around the smaller area that is shirlington vs. the much larger span of old town. You have to decide what works for you. Spend some more time hanging out in shirlington and see if you can see yourself living there. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 06:56 AM
 
20 posts, read 21,232 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
If you are interested in Old Town, you can check the fringes of it. There are condos near Slater's Lane, Colecroft and Colecroft Station near the Braddock St. metro, Ft. Ellsworth just over the bridge past the Masonic Temple, and parts of Rosemont on the other side of the train tracks. Not all of these places have the 22314 area code so it isn't as easy to search.

If you are interested in Shirlington, don't forget Fairlington (both in Arlington and Alexandria) and Parkfairfax, which are easy walking or biking distance.
I definitely like Colecroft; these tend to stretch my budget. Have checked out Slaters and Bashford (Harbor Terrace is pretty nice) . I like Canal Place too but they are super small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 07:02 AM
 
20 posts, read 21,232 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelover View Post
I haven't lived in either but I visit both locations all the time so I definitely get the appeal. I know several people that really enjoy the convenience if living in shirlington. Some like that it's really dog friendly. You're also closer to the Clarendon ballston area or dc if that interests you. It depends on if you're okay not being near the metro and having to drive about 15 mins to visit old town. The other side is being okay with walking around the smaller area that is shirlington vs. the much larger span of old town. You have to decide what works for you. Spend some more time hanging out in shirlington and see if you can see yourself living there. Good luck!
Thanks for this! Yes, I think its going to come down to how much I feel like compromising on the Old Town charm and nightlife. Shirlington Village is nice, but there is a lot less there. On the other hand, I will have a lot more of what I wanted in a home, so its a trade off. I was thinking seriously about the Court Bridge and Windgate condo communities. Do you know anything about those ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 07:30 AM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,739 posts, read 8,952,016 times
Reputation: 3857
Have you considered some of the older THs and condos on Columbia Pike? There are a lot of smaller prewar units east of Walter Reed; looks like 2BR ones have sold for well under $300K this year. Lots of stuff to walk to from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 01:11 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,739 posts, read 8,952,016 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Have you considered some of the older THs and condos on Columbia Pike? There are a lot of smaller prewar units east of Walter Reed; looks like 2BR ones have sold for well under $300K this year. Lots of stuff to walk to from there.
CORRECTION: Meant to write "under 400K."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 03:46 PM
 
Location: State of Waiting
607 posts, read 760,136 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Have you considered some of the older THs and condos on Columbia Pike? There are a lot of smaller prewar units east of Walter Reed; looks like 2BR ones have sold for well under $300K this year. Lots of stuff to walk to from there.
Great option. Not too far from Old town Alexandria, and not too far from Clarendon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 05:29 PM
 
58 posts, read 81,301 times
Reputation: 45
Have you check out the Carlyle area of Alexandria? Close to Whole Foods, King Street Metro and Old Town and there are 1 bedroom condos for a little over $350. I rented in Old Town and really like Carlyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 06:09 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,822,440 times
Reputation: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardislass View Post
Have you check out the Carlyle area of Alexandria? Close to Whole Foods, King Street Metro and Old Town and there are 1 bedroom condos for a little over $350. I rented in Old Town and really like Carlyle.

Carlyle is sleepy town though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top