Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:17 PM

18 posts, read 23,531 times

Advertisements

I live in Sterling/Potomac Falls (20165). In my opinion there are some really good spots in Sterling depending on where you look. Just like Reston, Herndon, etc there are more desirable areas than others. Schools certainly drive a good bit of where people live, but if you're not worried about that right now then you have more options. Also in my opinion, I feel extremely safe in Reston, Herndon, Sterling and Ashburn. I've never thought twice about moving here and never think twice about having my wife and daughter out at the Target, Grocery store etc in Sterling period.

In my opinion, with another bubble, I think Sterling stands to hold up a little better than Ashburn as IMO anything in from Route 28 is a little bit more desirable because of the commute. Additionally, the metro is here now and is much closer to Sterling than Ashburn.

Just my thoughts and I just bought about a year and a half ago so I looked around quite a bit before biting the bullet and buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 PM

406 posts, read 619,747 times
I would be hesitant to go quite so far west just for a 2-car garage, the availability of which is mostly to do with the date of construction. However, it is not impossible in Fairfax, you can definitely get 2-car garage homes in Random Hills under 500k (look for the Fountainside Ln addresses). They are a bit smaller than some, but are not under 1700 SF.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:20 AM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
There was once a time where I never thought I would say this but...stay away from Sterling Park---especially homes in the Park View High School cluster area. Guilford Elementary School did not get full accreditation from the state.

Perhaps when the silver line stop at Innovation Avenue (@ the intersection of routes 28 and 267) is up and running, Sterling Park might make a turn around for the better. However, that station stop is at least another 4 years away.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:23 AM

367 posts, read 884,774 times
How you can say Loudoun County has a low income city is baffling.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:00 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
Have you ever been to the neighborhoods in and around Park View Middle and High school? Park View High is probably the worst school within Loudoun County. I have quite a few friends that went there in the early 90's. It's not what it was then and the neighborhoods are different today as well. It is what it is.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,057 times
I live in Sterling. Most areas north of rt 7 are great, and even some spots on the southside of 7. I live in Sugarland Run, which has had a bad reputation in the past, but our zoned elementary school is now rated an 8 on Great Schools, we have awesome neighbors, I've been involved in HOA activities...it really is a great neighborhood, and the cheapest (likely because it was built back in the 70s) for the home size and quality of schools. I almost ruled all of Sugarland Run out when we were home searching because it is in 20164, the same zip as Sterling Park, but it's an oddly shaped zip if you look at a map.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 AM

53 posts, read 81,805 times
We liked the Calvert's Glen neighborhood in Sterling quite a bit; it was within walking distance of the Countryside 20 and the surrounding restaurants, nice neighbors, and an HOA that kept most of the homes looking nice without being super strict. We did move, but mostly to be closer to my husband's work and to get a yard that was better suited for two very large dogs.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post

And you are saying this because...? Is it because LoCo is the richest county in the country? So, due to that you think that it is impossible that there are "low income" areas?

I suggest you look up The Good Shepherd Alliance. They are a LoCo based charity that helps the local homeless population and they run a shelter for them. Believe it or not, there is a food bank in LoCo.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:36 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And you are saying this because...? Is it because LoCo is the richest county in the country? So, due to that you think that it is impossible that there are "low income" areas?

I suggest you look up The Good Shepherd Alliance. They are a LoCo based charity that helps the local homeless population and they run a shelter for them. Believe it or not, there is a food bank in LoCo.
There isn't just one. There are:
Loudoun Interfaith Relief (Leesburg)
Dulles South Food Pantry (Arcola)
Messiah's Market (Ashburn)
Grace Ministries (Ashburn)
Tree of Life Food Pantry (Purcellville)
Sterling Park Baptist Church Food Pantry (Sterling)
Seven Loaves (Middleburg)
LINK (Herndon/Sterling/Ashburn)
Community Table of Loudoun
Catholic Charities - St. Lucy Project
Reston Bible Church Food Pantry (Sterling)
St. James Church - Grace to Go Ministry (Leesburg)

Nearly 17,000 Loudoun residents are "food insecure." Not just in Sterling, but throughout the county.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:51 PM

^Doesn't surprise me.

I do know that there are pockets of low income people in other areas of LoCo.

That said, I was once called a "liar" because I said that there were poor people in LoCo

BTW, thanks for the food bank links. I would love to donate more frequently to a food bank but was unsure where some of them are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia