U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times

Advertisements

How on earth did R. Montgomery beat Montgomery-Blair? The latter is the TJ of Maryland! Was there some massive influx of Chinese and Indian families into the RMHS zone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:33 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Marshall has benefiited from expensive new housing in Vienna and Dunn Loring; improvements in Pimmit Hills; and the advantage of being an IB school surrounded by strong AP schools (so it gets a boost from pupil placements).

I think Chantilly keeps seeing growth in its Asian enrollment, and Asians have the highest SAT scores of any sub-group in FCPS. Rocky Run MS has a huge AAP program and not all those kids get into TJ.

South Lakes got an influx of high-SES students from Oakton, Westfield and Madison beginning with the Class of 2012, so you'd expect to see improvement there.

The scores at Herndon, South County, Fairfax and Falls Church always bounce around. No opinion as to why.

Edison and Stuart usually are towards the bottom. I know part of Annandale got moved to Edison a while back, but I don't know if this has had any impact on Edison's scores. There's been a lot of tumult, including numerous teacher departures, at Stuart lately, but again I don't know how relevant that is to the latest scores. Sometimes schools get slammed for lower scores when it's a result of increasing the percentage of students who take the tests, which you otherwise might think is a good thing that encourages them to consider post-secondary education. But I don't know if that was at play here.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
How on earth did R. Montgomery beat Montgomery-Blair? The latter is the TJ of Maryland! Was there some massive influx of Chinese and Indian families into the RMHS zone?
RM has a large, application-only IB program housed within the school. The number of students in that program may be higher than the number in the STEM magnet within Blair, and the other neighborhoods in Rockville assigned to RM are probably nicer than many parts of Silver Spring assigned to Blair. Neither RM nor Blair is magnet-only like TJ.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:42 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
RM has a large, application-only IB program housed within the school. The number of students in that program may be higher than the number in the STEM magnet within Blair, and the other neighborhoods in Rockville assigned to RM are probably nicer than many parts of Silver Spring assigned to Blair.
Interesting. I never knew Blair drew any kids who didn't get in via application, rather than living near the school. I'm also surprised IB is such a draw. The little I've heard and read makes it sound like a touchy-feely program recognized by a handful of colleges, versus universally respected AP.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 PM

531 posts, read 1,204,741 times
Loudoun's average score is 1611 this year.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:48 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,617,038 times
JEB77 or anyone else, is there any information on the percentage of students at each school who took the test? I see that in FCPS as a whole, it's 75% (or 72% if you count alternative schools) which is pretty high. But I'm curious if there is individual school info.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:12 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,860,194 times
Looking at the LCPS school profiles:
e.g. http://profiles.lcps.org/portal/page...RORA%20HIGH%22

Freedom came out on top this year, outgunning traditional "powers" Stone Bridge, Woodgrove, and Loudoun Valley. The usual "everyone clusters within 100 points except Park View" was in play, with Tuscarora fully joining the pack (some years, there'd been a little bit of daylight between Tuscarora and everyone else.) Good news since Tuscarora didn't get full accreditation this year.

Freedom 1684
Dominion 1677
Stone Bridge 1659
Briar Woods 1645
Woodgrove 1639
Heritage 1628
Loudoun County 1628
Tuscarora 1623
Broad Run 1615
Potomac Falls 1613
Loudoun Valley 1600
John Champe 1580
Park View 1454

No luck in tracking Frederick MD scores.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Looking at the LCPS school profiles:
e.g. http://profiles.lcps.org/portal/page...RORA%20HIGH%22

Freedom came out on top this year, outgunning traditional "powers" Stone Bridge, Woodgrove, and Loudoun Valley. The usual "everyone clusters within 100 points except Park View" was in play, with Tuscarora fully joining the pack (some years, there'd been a little bit of daylight between Tuscarora and everyone else.) Good news since Tuscarora didn't get full accreditation this year.

Freedom 1684
Dominion 1677
Stone Bridge 1659
Briar Woods 1645
Woodgrove 1639
Heritage 1628
Loudoun County 1628
Tuscarora 1623
Broad Run 1615
Potomac Falls 1613
Loudoun Valley 1600
John Champe 1580
Park View 1454

No luck in tracking Frederick MD scores.
I think these scores are probably adjusted by LCPS from the scores as reported by the College Board; otherwise, it's hard to see why the county average isn't higher than 1611. If so, they aren't apples-to-apples with the College Board-reported scores noted earlier for APS, FCPS and MCPS, although the ordering of the schools within LCPS likely would remain the same or very similar.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:12 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,459 times
Quote:
Interesting. I never knew Blair drew any kids who didn't get in via application, rather than living near the school. I'm also surprised IB is such a draw. The little I've heard and read makes it sound like a touchy-feely program recognized by a handful of colleges, versus universally respected AP.
Blasphemy! I did both AP classes in a public magnet school, and a full IB diploma at a private school, and IB was more difficult and a better college prep experience.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I think most colleges and universities give equal weight to AP and IB courses and exam results now. That didn't used to be the case; 15-20 years ago Virginia schools generally did not award credit for IB. That was one reason why, when FCPS tried to introduce IB at Woodson, the parents successfully lobbied the School Board to reverse the decision.

I think the full IB diploma program is great for those who complete it. But it's more expensive than AP and the percentage of students who get IB diplomas at some area schools with IB programs is quite low, at least in FCPS.

In terms of the relationship to SAT scores, however, RM in Montgomery, W-L in Arlington, and Marshall in Fairfax are three schools that benefit from their IB programs, for different reasons. RM's IB program is application-only, so it's like having a humanities magnet within the school. W-L is the only one of the three main high schools in Arlington that has both AP and IB, so it gets motivated kids from Yorktown and Wakefield who want IB, while retaining most of its in-boundary kids who want AP. Marshall is IB-only, but surrounded by AP schools, so it is also is a net recipient of pupil placements (kids in much of the Langley, McLean, Madison and Falls Church districts who want IB go to Marshall, but the Marshall kids who want AP get divided among McLean, Madison and Falls Church).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or