Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:35 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymom View Post
Thank It looks like the springfield metro is 6 miles from burke though right? How long would the metro take to get to the navy yard? It looks like blue line-yellow line--green line. Should I just be looking somewhere close to a metro stop no matter where it is?
In Burke, you have the option of taking the VRE into DC, driving to the Springfield metro station, or taking a bus to it. Also, there are many military families so it's possible your husband can find a carpool to Navy Yard.

If you take metro to Navy Yard from Springfield, it would be about 1 hour. Your husband would have to change trains (from blue to green line) at L'Enfant metro station. You can also take the yellow line at Pentagon for one stop to L'Enfant and then change to the green line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 09:44 AM

798 posts, read 2,727,266 times
Here is a link to the metro with a great trip planner link. You can check out various options in this. Hope it helps..

http://www.wmata.com/

Old 12-31-2007, 02:24 PM

250 posts, read 910,723 times
thank you for the link, helps me visualize this all.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:08 AM

798 posts, read 2,727,266 times
You're welcome. The first time we moved here we were coming from overseas and based our search on the schools entirely. When we moved back here this past summer the school issue was not a player and I found the numbers of areas to consider to be a bit overwhelming at first. When I came in to town and looked around though we quickly settled on a general area we liked that also had a reasonable commute. I am not sure if you will be able to come in and look around before the move or not though. As an aside, I have found the trip planner times to be quite accurate so as you narrow down your search, I think it will help see the impact on your husbands commute if he does decide to use the metro.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:36 PM

53 posts, read 205,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymom View Post
You guys are awesome...

so will it be possible to find a single family home between 2200-2600/month out there in burke, west springfield or the other areas?

Is alexandria within fairfax public school district regions?

I was also told falls church area, but it looks like it isnt part of FCPS either..or is it?

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice!

You should be able to find a home no problem. Like others have said - militarybyowner.com is a great resource.

The Burke/West Springfield area is a very nice place to live. We have to leave this summer (Army) and it pains me to have to go. We'll be renting out our house - 4BR 2.5BA colonial with a great new granite kitchen on a cul-de-sac for about $2300 per month to give you an idea. Good luck finding a new home!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 AM

87 posts, read 126,478 times
Don't listen to others. Here is what you need to do: check out the Metro stations (Van Dorn, Springfield, etc.) plus the Virginia Railway Express stations. Then look for houses near these stations. If you think you are going to drive to and from work every day you are crazy. The traffic will make you age prematurely.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 PM

26 posts, read 78,817 times
I wanted to let you know that Fort Belvoir might be an option as well. They have brand new single famliy homes, in the Fairfax County Public School System (with one right on base!). Autism classes are a huge success at Fort Belvoir Elementary, might be worth looking into.
As for travel, you can bus to the metro or drive to either the Sprngfield Station or Huntington. My husband does it a few times a week.
Plus, you get the added bonus of living on base. It's a large base that welcomes all branches.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,864 times
Wow, I could've written this! My husband will also be working at the Washington Navy Yard. My biggest worry is getting the right school for our 10 year old son who suffers from Asperger's Syndrome. I am hoping someone can give us information about the special education programs in the public schools. I'm also interested in hearing if there are any private schools close to DC that specialize in working with Asperger's children.
Thanks for any advice!

Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 AM

13 posts, read 42,645 times
Default GMU and Tysons corner

Hello,

We are new to this area and I hope you can help me find the best location to buy a home.

I am working in Tysons corner, one of my children will be going to Mason this fall, while the other is in HS.

I am trying to find the best location for all three of us, somewhere I can drive to work and not spend hours in traffic, the one who is going to Mason can use public transportation and not have to take more than one or two means to get there, and the high schooler can go to a good school. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:39 AM

17 posts, read 65,336 times
Hey,
I could use some help too but we are not military.
I just posted a new thread but I will ask here as well. We are coming from Hawaii and need to rent initially before buying. We have a dog and 3 children and my husband will be working on Fort Belvoir, driving to and from work. We can spend around $2500 for 4 bd, 3 ba with yard. Any suggestions?
School district is VERY important. I have twins going into pre-school and a Jr. Higher. Also, looking for a good Christian Church. So far I have read Fairfax county is the best....Burke, West Springfield, and Manasses?? What about MD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia