U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:26 AM

7,969 posts, read 9,732,653 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one whose box requires two keys, the one I have and the one the bank has? Both must be used to open the box, so someone from the bank must always be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 4,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I bank with Bank of America. After you set up your safe deposit box, you access the safe deposit box room by having your handprint scanned and entering your code. You don't need staff intervention and you can't get into the room unless you have a box.
How cool! Sounds like an excellent use of technology to provide some great customer service.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 AM

1,835 posts, read 2,602,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Am I the only one whose box requires two keys, the one I have and the one the bank has? Both must be used to open the box, so someone from the bank must always be there.
That's what we have. Maybe it's just the old ones. We've had this box for over 35 years. They still pull the card we initial to sign us in and out.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:07 AM

3,916 posts, read 5,377,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I wasn't thinking a thief would get the key and use it to burgle the box. I was imagining a bad guy sauntering into the bank, into the vault room, and then hanging out there with a sheaf of papers to be looking through while waiting for a victim. When someone walks in and (thinking the robber is just another customer) pulls out their box, the robber could threaten with a gun or knife and then make off with whatever was in the box.

This is not a far-fetched scenario if it's well known that certain banks allow access to the box room with no screening. It would be a very easy way for a bad guy to rob someone--and very easy to prevent, which is why most banks don't allow such open access. Just because there are unlikely risks in life doesn't mean that easily implemented precautions against the more likely ones are not justified.

Of course, anything is possible but at the branch I use, it is a small vault with one corridor with a door that you close for privacy. From the lobby/counter area, you look straight into the vault. Tellers can easily see who is entering. If someone is already inside with the door open, I would just stand outside until they emerged. The tellers would then see someone is taking overly long to enter. If the exterior door is closed, I think the teller would tell the next person to wait. I haven't looked -- but will next time -- there may also be a closed circuit camera.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 4,699 times
Default Bank of America -- where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I bank with Bank of America. After you set up your safe deposit box, you access the safe deposit box room by having your handprint scanned and entering your code. You don't need staff intervention and you can't get into the room unless you have a box.
Say, Reebo, if you don't mind my asking, where's your branch? I sent an email to BOA asking about which branches have this feature and just got a referral to call the 800 number where after 20 minutes on hold they could not tell me. I had called a bunch of branches, both Alexandria and DC (K Street/Penn. Ave. corridor), couldn't find one that has this feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia