U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,129 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am moving for a two year tour to Fort Belvoir and will have to live away from my spouse during that time. We traveled out to Alexandria to find a place for me to live, but we are finding the number of options a bit overwhelming. I would appreciate any guidance you can offer based upon the following factors:

1 . Commute to Belvoir is important. Less than 30 minutes would be ideal. Are areas like Woodbridge out of the question?

2. Small dog

3. Won't go out much because wife won't be along.

4. Running trails and green areas are a plus.

5. Would pay for a nicer place. $1700-$1800 max probably if a place is really nice.

6. Tiny yard would be ideal, but I could deal without.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods? I looked at the big 3 in Kingstowne today.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,945,954 times
I used to work there. See if you can find something north of the post; the commute will be much faster, and there's a long running/biking trail along the Potomac. Ideal would be something along GW Parkway; there is one major condo complex just south of Old Town and across the Parkway from Belle Haven Marina. I would be there are some available for rent. Commuting time from there to Walker Gate is probably 15-20 minutes. Cheaper will be toward Route 1. It's not as safe/suburban, but as a guy, you'll be fine.

Also take a look at the area just north of Old Town, near Slaters Lane. Plenty of condo and TH units there, some of which are surely also rented out by the owners.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:18 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,096,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileycolorado View Post
Hi everyone,

I am moving for a two year tour to Fort Belvoir and will have to live away from my spouse during that time. We traveled out to Alexandria to find a place for me to live, but we are finding the number of options a bit overwhelming. I would appreciate any guidance you can offer based upon the following factors:

1 . Commute to Belvoir is important. Less than 30 minutes would be ideal. Are areas like Woodbridge out of the question?

!
I can only answer this part. Woodbridge is not out of the question, but if you can afford not to live there and you don't require a large home, then avoid it. It isn't far at all from Belvoir; however, you are in with ALL the traffic heading north everyday and heading south every evening.

It's always best to do a reverse commute. Lots of Belvoir employees choose Woodbridge because they have several kids, need a house, and that can be quite expensive north of Belvoir. One guy renting has a lot more flexibility.

I like Kingstowne so if you find something there, I think you'll be pretty happy.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,129 times
Thank you both

Old 10-12-2014, 10:28 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,689,142 times
I second Kingstowne, (or maybe 3rd) there are a variety of apt complexes, and most of them take small dogs. Plenty of walking and things to do. Also considering renting one of the condo's from an owner, can be cheaper than apt.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,804,710 times
Kingstowne or old town, very nice safe neighborhoods and has great amentities (restaurants etc)

Old 10-12-2014, 01:21 PM

94 posts, read 109,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I used to work there. See if you can find something north of the post; the commute will be much faster, and there's a long running/biking trail along the Potomac. Ideal would be something along GW Parkway; there is one major condo complex just south of Old Town and across the Parkway from Belle Haven Marina. I would be there are some available for rent. Commuting time from there to Walker Gate is probably 15-20 minutes. Cheaper will be toward Route 1. It's not as safe/suburban, but as a guy, you'll be fine.

Also take a look at the area just north of Old Town, near Slaters Lane. Plenty of condo and TH units there, some of which are surely also rented out by the owners.

The area near Belle Haven Marina is called Belle View and that would be a good place to look.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 PM

34 posts, read 37,579 times
Belle View is a great location, right on the Parkway, and it's very dog friendly. The neighborhood looks like a small village. Within walking distance is a huge (fairly new) Safeway, a 24-hour CVS, a 24-hour gym, and some restaurants. You could walk across the parkway to the bike/jogging path. You could probably find a rental there for a nice price.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:10 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,687,699 times
If you don't really care about nightlife and want a short commute, Kingstowne is perfect for you. It's a 15 minute commute worst-case scenario. There are miles and miles of trails and virtually everyone jogs here.

There are some relatively cheap apartments in Kingstowne that start about $1300/1400 a month. You could probably even get a two bedroom in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia