Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 10,688 times

Advertisements

I am moving to an apartmenmt in a condo community in Alexandria. It's located very close to King St and N. Beauregard. (google maps: tinyurl.com/2tnxvx)

I'll be attending evening graduate classes in Foggy Bottom. To goto school from my apartment, I can take buses to Pentagon (10-12 minute ride) and then from there a 10 min metro ride to my destination in DC. This is all sound and dandy.

Although, I will also be looking for a job and will be working during the day (9-5) and there is a 50% chance the job will be based in the suburbs and will likely require a car. Is it resonable to think that the best approach would be that I could drive to work and then leave and park at a metro station and ride into DC?

So I am wondering, If I should just get a car now and be done with the headache. I am also thinking, I will probably need it for other things like social activities and daily regimen stuff.

Thoughts?

p.s. I currently don't own a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 03:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
actually a lot of people in alexandria dont need cars. for about a year i went to class and work w/o a car. King and Bgard is actually a good location to be w/o a car. Express buses to the pentagon and to the king st. station stop there. Provided that your classes dont end at 1 am you should be able to survive in alexandria w/o a car.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,688 times
Thanks Alan. Although, may I ask where approx. did you live and what made you get a car afterwards? I assume both your school and job were metro accessible? My school is, but the job probably won't be.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terimaa View Post
Thanks Alan. Although, may I ask where approx. did you live and what made you get a car afterwards? I assume both your school and job were metro accessible? My school is, but the job probably won't be.
I lived in the Landmark area off Duke St. My job was in Baileys X-roads and my school was NVCC. All metro (or bus) accessible. I got a car b/c i got a job that reqiured quick travel on some days.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:22 PM

16 posts, read 58,313 times
The only thing that would concern me is to go to and from your job in the suburbs. Do you already know where that will be?

Old 12-01-2007, 07:02 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times
An inexpensive car probably wouldn't be that bad an idea, parking is usually inexpensive in that area. The buses and rails are good for getting you to and from work or school, but all the other things (groceries, doctor, late nights, etc.) will get annoying waiting 30 minutes for a bus at off times. If you are comfortable that most necessities are within close enough walking distance than you could go without a car then do so, but otherwise having one is just good even if you don't drive a lot.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 AM

35 posts, read 142,484 times
North Beauregard and King? Get a car. Never ever rely on WMATA to get you around on time. Ever.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 34,637 times
Hi. I've lived in Arlington County and Fairfax County for seven years and have not needed a car. My husband has a car but for myself, I don't need one.

Although if something is out of the way, I can take a cab. In the long run, it's much more cost efficient. You can put the $ you save into a mutual fund.

Currently I'm living in Mt. Vernon (Alexandria) and work in N.E. D.C. (near Union Station).

The only thing that is inconvenient is groceries. Peapod has been helpful, or I've taken a cab. $30/mo. is cheaper than $200 in car insurance + gas + taxes + that payment.

So yes, it is convenient but it's not 100% completely necessary.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:55 PM

25 posts, read 108,141 times
Yes, you do need a car.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:00 PM

15 posts, read 60,883 times
Default Don't get a nice car though...

Transpo early on will probably be nice to have, but parking lots/decks/etc can be hell on a nice car...don't invest in a super shiney nice new car til you absolutely know that you need it.

What I'd surmise from this advice is that if you can afford it, a car would be helpful, but can be expensive to house/maintain...i wouldn't let the job issue push your decision one way or the other....seem to be lots of jobs around (at least in the service sector if that's what you are aiming for)...before the car, perhaps check the help wanted ads when you are about ready to move and start lining up interviews...if those pan out and location requires the car, well, then get one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia