U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:55 AM

419 posts, read 1,842,124 times

Advertisements

Visit Tysons Corner Mall in McLean VA on a Saturday night and anyone who is not use to living in the urban Northeast is open for a shock. An old college friend who lives in a small town in Kansas (which is 97% white) went home after visiting Northern VA and is telling everyone about Tysons Corner. He could not believe the people. He must of heard 100 different languages, it seemed like the United Nations so many different ethnic groups, the stores were so expensive and so many of the young women were dressed like prostitutes. It was a 21 Century Place, a somewhat scary but exciting reminder of what America has become.

In his town in small town KS, nearly everyone is from the same background and 5th generation American. Almost everyone speaks English and most people are working class.

I do not think there is a Shopping Mall in America that has such a large cross section of ethnic groups in one building. A real shock to the small towned Kansan. Anyone else shocked when they go to Tysons?

Old 12-30-2007, 06:55 AM

23,528 posts, read 33,237,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Visit Tysons Corner Mall in McLean VA on a Saturday night and anyone who is not use to living in the urban Northeast is open for a shock. An old college friend who lives in a small town in Kansas (which is 97% white) went home after visiting Northern VA and is telling everyone about Tysons Corner. He could not believe the people. He must of heard 100 different languages, it seemed like the United Nations so many different ethnic groups, the stores were so expensive and so many of the young women were dressed like prostitutes. It was a 21 Century Place, a somewhat scary but exciting reminder of what America has become.

In his town in small town KS, nearly everyone is from the same background and 5th generation American. Almost everyone speaks English and most people are working class.

I do not think there is a Shopping Mall in America that has such a large cross section of ethnic groups in one building. A real shock to the small towned Kansan. Anyone else shocked when they go to Tysons?
after 3 and a 1/2 years of living here in NoVA, i'm not surprised going into Tysons. for the record i grew up in a half white half black city in another area of Virginia and everyone speaks english down there. Some speak broken english but still english.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:02 AM

280 posts, read 968,306 times
I've lived here for 17 years and, coming from New England, I used to be shocked at the difference in diversity as well as socioeconomically. Now the reverse is true. I find it to be more "normal" here and when I go "home" it seems very working class, and folks don't seem as educated and wordly as they are here.

Everything is relative and what you are accustomed to!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:50 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,040,767 times
Heh, I can see how he could be shocked by seeing so many different people at Tysons. There's a whole other world outside Kansas. I love the area because it is so "international".

Old 12-30-2007, 08:07 AM

419 posts, read 1,842,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Heh, I can see how he could be shocked by seeing so many different people at Tysons. There's a whole other world outside Kansas. I love the area because it is so "international".
My friend from small town Kansas, loved the beautiful Mall and the energy of the place, but did not have a strong opinion about the pros and cons of the extreme ethnic, cultural and economic diversity he saw at the Mall but did say he noticed a balkanization of the people here. Asians hung out with Asians, Arabs with Arabs, Blacks with Blacks. With everyone with their own group everyone is more isolated. In small town Kansas everyone is a potential and LIKELY friend, not so in NVA.

Last edited by questioner2; 12-30-2007 at 09:20 AM..

Old 12-30-2007, 09:13 AM

24 posts, read 93,952 times
I originally located down the street from Tyson's Corner mall. To me, it was and always is: BEAUTIFUL !!! The stores are absolutely gorgeous and unusual without being uppity like Tyson's II. It's so unlike the other malls in northern Va -- it's in a class all it's own, and something to be treasured. That particular place is the essence of Washington DC to me, minus the terrible traffic and rudeness. It's an oasis of coolness.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 AM

192 posts, read 193,117 times
One place land is 250 usd per acre; the other it is 250 usd per square foot. Any guesses as to which is which?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:32 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,037,234 times
I've lived in this area for 20 years.
When we visit places like Indiana or Pennsylvania now, we are shocked that everyone is white.
And pretty fat, if truth be told.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:48 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,909,907 times
Are you kidding? People are not friendly in small towns unless you grew up there. They can be very close minded - as I suspect your friend is.
It does bother me that everyone stays in their own little ethnic group around here - but that will slowly change - it takes time - I see a lot more interracial couples around here - which makes me happy - hopefully some day we will all "get along"
And when I visit PA - I do notice how poor, dirty and uneducated it looks compared to NOVA

Old 12-30-2007, 10:56 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,437,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post

I am curious (this distinction was referenced by shauna, maybe others) if this was the Galleria. I recently went into the Galleria for the first time in a few years and I was *shocked* at how expensive and exclusive it had become. All of the more average stores were just being overtaken by stores I couldn't even think of going into. I hate just giving up on my aspirations to be a fancy person, but it was just on another level.

PS - I'm not referencing the diversity issue ... I've lived overseas, worked at the UN, so it's always more shocking to be in an office with people named Bill and Bob lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia