Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,022 times

Advertisements

Why are the cancer rates so high in Winchester, Front Royal and Martinsburg area? I have lived many places in the U.S., but I have never seen ANYTHING like this. What causes the cancer rates to be so high around here? Poor water conditions? Air quality? Even people I know that live healthy life styles seem to have been a victim of cancer around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 04:57 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
The group of people any one of us knows is not a numerous or random sample. But theoretically, if someone did a study controlling for diet, smoking, heredity, and exercise, and it found that rates are higher in those areas you named, I would have to guess radon exposure would be a factor. I've seen the radon maps and recall it's more prevalent toward the Blue Ridge. But radon only causes lung cancer, and radon exposure only happens (generally) in a house that has exposed earth or rock in a basement or crawl space.

But what's a "healthy lifestyle"? Someone who doesn't smoke and is not obese but who eats BBQ every day and never exercises is not living one. Even thin people get cancer. There could also be occupational factors--e.g., someone who works with solvents every day has a much higher risk. And don't forget second-hand smoke.

Finally, what are the ages of the people you know who got cancer? If there are more retired people living in those towns than in most areas, then that explains a lot of it.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-27-2014 at 05:26 AM..

Old 10-27-2014, 05:42 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barstool View Post
Why are the cancer rates so high in Winchester, Front Royal and Martinsburg area? I have lived many places in the U.S., but I have never seen ANYTHING like this. What causes the cancer rates to be so high around here? Poor water conditions? Air quality? Even people I know that live healthy life styles seem to have been a victim of cancer around here.
Can you please provide a link to the data that says the cancer rate is higher in those areas versus other areas?

Old 10-27-2014, 06:11 AM

771 posts, read 1,458,822 times
Yeah, I would also be interested in the OP providing a link to data that supports this claim. Not that I don't believe him/her, but I just had never heard of such a problem in those areas and if it's true I would be interested in reading about it.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barstool View Post
You joined to start this thread? Please provide evidence to show your remarks are true. I have many friends in and around Winchester and have yet to see one with cancer.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:16 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
America's thinnest (and fattest) cities
Quote:
Two other cities in the state, Charleston and Martinsburg, were also in the top 10 cities ranks by high obesity rate.
Appalachia in general has very high rates of obesity, which is not a coincidence.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:22 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

Appalachia in general has very high rates of obesity, which is not a coincidence.
Winchester is in VA.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

What does this have to do w/Winchester??

Old 10-27-2014, 05:53 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
What does this have to do w/Winchester??
The title of the thread is that there is high cancer levels in Winchester. The study posted isn't really relevant because it isn't about Winchester.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:55 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
That's what I said.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia