U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times

Advertisements

Hey hey. Okay I have a situation here. I've grown up in Manassas all my life and I'm getting real sick of PWC. It's a dump. Sure it has its bright spots but for the most part its a bedroom community with no real safe social atmospheres. In the daytime everybody leaves PWC and heads north for work and nightlife. There are no walkable downtowns besides old town Manassas. This is why I wish to move to Fairfax this summer. I was thinking the area of FFX by Wegmans at 29 and Monument Drive. That area is safe, close to George Mason, and close to Vienna metro. It's obviously expensive, but I believe worth it to live in that kind of environment. I'm looking at one and two bedroom apartments in or within a 5 mile radius of that area. Every single apartment complex rating I've come across has been overwhelmingly negative. How can this be? Could it just be angry tenants wanting to lash out? My budget is around $1000-1250 for 1 or no more than 1600 for a 2. I would love to live on my own and not have a roommate, but cost wise it makes the most sense. Also firefighter discounts are a plus! Please let me know Nova!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,441,432 times
I tend to like Fair Lakes, Penderbrook. We helped someone on this board move to the Archstone - which is on Route 29. I just saw it for the first time (well, I just saw it and realized it was the place) and thought it looked extremely nice.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:53 PM

798 posts, read 2,479,457 times
My son lived in an Archstone apt right across from the Wegmans and he was pretty happy with that apt. It is a great location!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,344,802 times
People are more apt to go out of their way to write reviews of apartments or products and things of that nature if they have something negative to say. I definitely think that everyone should look at such sites to see what others do have to say, to get an idea of what are some possible negatives to look out for, to question about and do your own investigating when you talk to a landlord or eye the place yourself; but these reviews shouldn't completely dissuade you.

Most of the apartments in that general area are seem fine to me.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:03 AM

oh right, I missed the part about the apartment reviews. Just look at the actual content of the reviews (mean management is notorious for getting people on the internet writing a bad review - and I really don't blame them - it's frustrating). But those types of comments shouldn't dissuade you from looking at the complex. On the other hand, lack of safety, crime, maybe truly poor infrastructure would be more serious. Incidentally, at my condo complex, the management just drove me crazy and in the 11 years since I've owned the unit, they've changed management companies at least 5 times that I know about!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,336,193 times
Yes, it's safe. Yes, it's a fairly easy run to GMU (Waples Mill to Braddock). No, it's not all that convenient to the Metro, though not all that inconvenient either. I have offspring in that immediate vicinity...$1235 for a very nice 1-BR. Close to shopping of all sorts also...

Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,920,903 times
Where can you walk near Wegmans? Those apartments/condos are right on the road - no buffers froma all the traffic and noise.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 AM

What about that area somewhere around there with the new outdoor (like Reston Town Center) shopping area. You know, with Red Door, Chipotle, movie theaters, etc. It's not "quaint" but it's lively. Are there any apartments over there? (Sorry I'm vague, I just went to the medspa there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia