Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 AM

847 posts, read 3,520,480 times

Advertisements

She should apply to Fairfax as well, there are a lot of teachers who drive in from PWC, especially to schools in Centreville and Chantilly. Fairfax County Public Schools is an excellent school district to work for, good pay and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 07:34 AM

352 posts, read 1,592,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finfan3dp View Post
Wow! My wife applied to Fauquier County as well, and now she has an interview with them too! We also just got a house in Dominion Valley. Everything for the move is coming together quite nicely.

She thinks everyone that applies gets an interview, but I think it's because of her experience. Does anyone know? I mean, they can't possibly interview everyone that puts in an application can they?

Next she is going to apply to Loudon, so we have all our bases covered.
You're right, and she's selling herself short. Getting an interview on the spot DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR is unusual and is due to her expertise and background, as well perhaps some serendipity on openings in her subject. Now, if this were July and they were trying to hire for the upcoming school year, she might be right - but this is unusual. Fauquier is hard to get an interview for, too.

Keep us posted!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:30 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
I agree, I can't imagine that they give everyone an interview. They might give everyone who is ... trained and certified and experienced ... an interview if only because I'm sure there's always a need for substitutes. Now, if your wife is, say, a science teacher or something similar that is highly in demand, this would make the most sense. She clearly has something that is jumping out.

Congrats on Dominion Valley - nice neighborhood!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:24 AM

12 posts, read 70,299 times
Default PWC Schools

My son goes to Brentsville HS and I am absolutely pleased. He was homeschooled for a bit because we lived in Las Vegas and I WAS NOT pleased with the schools...(dont think I need to explain any further
When we moved here I was rather concerned about the public school and had planned on homeschooling still. However, I went to Brentsville and was won over by the place. Yes, it is still a hs with good and bad influences yet I am very pleased with the courses my son takes (some regular some advanced).
Just like in any job I believe there will always be good places to work and bad places to work...it is self defeating if we assume that all PWC schools are poor. I guess what I am saying is dont discount just check them out to your fulklest ability...you might be surprised

Old 01-25-2008, 12:32 PM

352 posts, read 1,592,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkf16 View Post
My son goes to Brentsville HS and I am absolutely pleased. He was homeschooled for a bit because we lived in Las Vegas and I WAS NOT pleased with the schools...(dont think I need to explain any further
When we moved here I was rather concerned about the public school and had planned on homeschooling still. However, I went to Brentsville and was won over by the place. Yes, it is still a hs with good and bad influences yet I am very pleased with the courses my son takes (some regular some advanced).
Just like in any job I believe there will always be good places to work and bad places to work...it is self defeating if we assume that all PWC schools are poor. I guess what I am saying is dont discount just check them out to your fulklest ability...you might be surprised
MOST Prince William County schools are anything but poor. Brentsville, a.k.a Cow Pie High, is a fine example. And, of the ones that are mediocre or less, they're generally on the other end of the county from our friend. I think our friend would be quite happy in Prince William County Schools as long as she's in a district that's relatively close to their new home in Dominion Valley.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 PM

192 posts, read 263,999 times
The openings are going to be at the crappiest schools, with the highest turnover. Habla español?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:50 PM

23 posts, read 86,455 times
Default Kindergarten

She is a kindergarten teacher, but is certified for all elementary grades and has her Masters with a reading specialty. Dominion Valley has a new elmentary school opening in September, so we are hoping she gets in there.

Last edited by finfan3dp; 01-25-2008 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: added stuff

Old 01-25-2008, 10:15 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
I wanted to jump in here and offer some words of encouragement. First, I graduated from Fairfax County Schools. Both of my boys were/are educated in PWCS. I really believe that PWCS is the areas best kept secret. The credit Fairfax has been receiving is on the coat tails of prior years. Prince William has been on the Governor's Schools of Excellence ever since the criteria was set. To the best of my knowledge, I do not think Fairfax has ever placed.

Why am I sold on PWCS? They offer school of choice for specialty programs. My youngest went to the elmentary school for foreign languages, where he was taught French from day one. From there he went to the Math and Science program (long bus ride, but well worth it) and is now a freshman in the Biotechnology School for Science. He is taking his 3rd year of French, as well as Latin. This son was not placed in the Signet programs and I would say he is average to slightly above average in academics.

My oldest also graduated the same route - Math and Science Jr. High and Science program for HS.

Your wife needs to evaluate for herself the reasons for the vacancies. We have explosive growth in PW County (actually the highest for this MSA or Metropolitan Statistical Area), with an average of 4 new schools opening every year. If you are in the Dominion Valley school district, you witness this every day. (BTW, Marsteller is the Math and Science Jr. High).

I can't speak highly enough of this school system and have served on several county Advisory Committees for two schools,and one County subcommittee for school boundaries (a real treat....insert sarcasm). I agree with the others, let her check it out. To my knowledge, no other county has the specialty schools set up the way we do. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to see a child get upset that they cannot go to school. Something is definitely being done right.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finfan3dp View Post
She is a kindergarten teacher, but is certified for all elementary grades and has her Masters with a reading specialty. Dominion Valley has a new elmentary school opening in September, so we are hoping she gets in there.
My DV friends go to Alvey and love it.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:51 PM

23 posts, read 53,976 times
finfan3dp, your situation gives me hope! I never got fully certified to teach even though I have a degree, education and graduate courses. I hope to move to an area in VA that would encourage a qualified professional just shy of a certification and not relegate them to a para position which is what I hold now. There is just not the respect for us here, even though most of us hold college degrees, way beyond the 60 credits for the para positions!
Does anyone have an idea of my chances of moving up in education even though I am not certified at the moment? Appreciate it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia