Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 10:57 AM

17 posts, read 15,326 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was hoping that someone could recommend an international moving company to move personal belongings (no furniture) from Dubai to Northern Virginia.

Any firsthand experiences that were positive? I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

BC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 12:53 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times
When I was stationed overseas working for Uncle Sam in Europe, I used Panalpina twice for moves, once in-country and and once when I was transferred back to the U.S. I was very pleased with the quality of their work. We used the company's Austria-based operation, so I can't vouch for the quality of their work elsewhere. The workers knew what they were doing and were very conscientious. Nothing was broken in either move; I should note that for the in-country move from one house to another, they even insisted they could safely transport the individual eggs in my refrigerator (and they did -- not one broke!).

Panalpina is international in scope; I see from the company's website that they do have an office in Dubai. I'm not sure if that UAE office handles personal moves, but it's probably worth your contacting them to find out.

Panalpina Gulf LLC
M4, DNATA Free Zone
Logistics centre Building
Dubai Airport Freezone (FLC)
Dubai
United Arab Emirates

Postal address:
P.O. Box 52725
Dubai
United Arab Emirates

Phone +9714 299 6235
Fax +9714 299 7208

info.uae@panalpina.com

Good luck with the move.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:43 PM

104 posts, read 171,039 times
We used this company when we moved from VA to Cyprus in 2006 and they were great - UPakWeShip International Shipping Company | Affordable Overseas Shipping Rates

Coming back in 2009 we used a company based in Cyprus. I'm not sure they could do it for us out of Cyprus but based on their current website they look like they have grown quite a bit since 2006.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 AM

Thanks a bunch! I will contact both companies for my move.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:50 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,741 times
You might have already decided on a service provider by now, but I was chatting with a co-worker this week and was reminded that he worked in Abu Dhabi for a period of time (there was a period when several people in the media business were going over for a good paycheck). He recommended that you look into Etihad Airways and Emirates Airline and ask them about their cargo shipments and rates. He said that when he was coming back to the U.S. (5 or 6 years ago, I'm thinking), he used Etihad's cargo branch to move packed boxes (just boxes) to N.Va. (Dulles, actually) and that they had a service that U.S. citizens could take advantage of, so perhaps there was some discount given as compared with regular business cargo shipments. I'm not sure of what "connecting" service there might be to get your stuff from Dubai to Abu Dhabi.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:51 PM

Persnicketygal,

Thank you very much. I will move in July, so I haven't chosen a provider, yet. I'll take your advice and contact both airlines.

Happy new year!

BrowneCoat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia