Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:52 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 11:54 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
I love living in Northern VA. The energy, diversity, tolerance for people from all over the world, food, shopping, things to do over the weekend, proximity to DC (hence more things to do over the weekend)

Old 12-16-2014, 05:25 AM

336 posts, read 378,179 times
It sounds like the op wants a rural lifestyle. If you want a rural lifestyle, there are better places to live.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:56 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I recently left the DC area for work, and came back to notice a huge difference in people. We are very miserable here in this town. I cannot believe I am still living here. Seriously I don't care about your status or what you do. Outside of work, we're all the same.
OK, we need more information. You recently left DC area for work? How long did you leave? Are you back now? Was this a business trip or a move? When I went to Paris on vacation everyone seemed happier than here. I was staying in the 6th arrondissement and I could not believe why everyone in Paris did not live there. It was so nice. When I came back I was not as happy and it seemed as if nobody was as happy as Paris. Then last year I attended a beach wedding in a small beach town in Mexico and it was great. I was on the beach, I was out at night, I was shopping and walking and eating and drinking and playing. I got back here and nobody was like that. Here I am living like a sucker in NOVA when I could be living on a beach in Mexico or a Fashionable apartment in Paris.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:17 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
OP, where were you working? I'm curious to know what city you are comparing us to?

I imagine there are places where the residents are less stressed/happier (Colorado, maybe? ) but overall, people I come into contact with seem generally good natured.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:26 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
A co-worker said when he was in the Air Force he was stationed in Key West for 32 months as a single guy. He said it was his worst assignment and he was miserable. He said it was expensive (he lived 30 miles from Key West due to high rent). I couldn't believe he could be that miserable. He knew the exact number of months he was there so I don't doubt his misery but I still can't believe someone could be miserable there. Everywhere has its miserable people and we can't make them happy.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:26 AM

61 posts, read 67,190 times
It's dark, it's cold, but worst of all.....The Redskins suck...... but Aldie has good potato chips. I know a Realtor, whose focus is people re-relocating from Florida, where they found out all the people they wanted to get away from, moved there.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
When did NOVA become Philadelphia lol

Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 4,892 times
I like NOVA. When visiting other places in the country they all seem the same. NOVA has a diversity that should be envied.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:10 AM

490 posts, read 649,844 times
Theres a lot of transplants here, I think that's why people are miserable.

People are being held hostage by their jobs. I took my current position with the understanding I would have "no problem transferring in 3 years". Five years later...
I think a lot of people are in the same predicament. They like their jobs, but they want to move elsewhere in the country.

Another big transplant problem, lack of friends and family. It's tough meeting people here. I'm an outgoing extrovert that had no problem meeting new people before I moved here. I was even excited about meeting people in a new city. Biggest disappointment ever. It seems that the older you get, the harder it is in the first place. I've spent a lot of holidays alone out here. I'm sure I'm not the only person.

Yes, cost of living. It's great making decent money, but when overinflated rent craters your budget, it just feels like you never really get ahead sometimes. For example, if you want to move into the new Potomac Yards development in Alexandria, you have to cough up $700k for a townhouse with 2 bedrooms next to railroad tracks. If you wanted to put 20% down, that's 140k. Good luck if you are single, and already pay $1500 a month in rent. I'm just making up hypothetical numbers to make a point, I'm not interested in playing the realtor game on this thread.
The alternative is to live in the boonies and have a commute that is going to take years off your life. Awesome trade off.

This place is boring. Thats my opinion, though I have heard it from fellow hostages. Though it's probably more personal, see the don't know many people rant above.

Traffic. Let's just say, you do have something going on. You have to pretty much plan on being there before 3:30 or after 7. Otherwise you are sitting in a parking lot. Yes, it's not unique to NOVA, but it ranks among the worst (if not the worst) in the country. There's no side streets or alternative routes other cities enjoy. Who hasn't changed or cancelled plans because of this?

I guess the list could go on. Some smaller ones are, the wife/spouse. I know 3 people who have left, leaving, or trying to leave because the significant other can't stand this place. City data info shows that there are also a lot of single people, or childless couples in NOVA.

If you like it here, that's great. But if you don't drink the Kool-Aid, people get nasty about it. I don't get it. That's their opinion, and getting defensive will not change anyone's mind. Why not try to be a friend? I think that's something we all could use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia