Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times

Advertisements

The issue you are going to have is that public transportation from the burbs will definitely cost you. Driving to the metro and parking is nearly $5, plus metro fare. If you take a bus, plus metro, you are looking at about $9 minimum a day. I was curious and looked at Southern Towers in Alexandria which is known for cheaper rents. Looking at the bus schedule, it's doable, but again, about $9.

Foggy Bottom is actually the most expensive zip code for real estate and home to George Washington University. I would not count on finding street parking given it's proximity to metro, students in the area, etc. If you choose to live further away (like Woodbridge, Manassas, etc) I'm not sure how many bus options you would have given the night shift. The further flung suburbs tend to service during rush hour only. At this point you are paying gas, wear/tear on your car, plus parking, plus metro fare.

I think your best bet is find something in DC and ditch the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
If you're not willing to have room mates then you should reconsider living here with that budget. I knew a gal on using a Section 8 voucher and lived 30 miles outside of DC and still paid $1,350 a month for a 2 bedroom.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:50 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The challenge for the OP might be finding parking at 930pm in residential GW vicinity; weekday or weekends.
Parking is free from 10pm-7am in Foggy Bottom. You might have to park a few blocks away but parking in downtown is very easy at night.

You can choose to live in a cheap suburb like Manassas or Woodbridge but you will be paying about $200 a month in gas versus $36 to live in Arlington/Alexandria/DC (20 MPG gas mileage @ $3 a gallon).

Without a roommate, you have a really hard time surviving. Arlington does have a lot of affordable housing - apartment rentals capped at a certain rent for those in a lower income level. Affordable housing in Manassas/Fairfax/Woodbridge is basically non-existent.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:36 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
The white working class in this area lives in Winchester.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:26 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2nova1976 View Post
Hey there. I'm a 27 yr old Italian American guy relocating to the DC area from Brooklyn New York. Not your average DC newcomer (not working in govt., no college experience whatsoever, and I am proudly working class) and I am in a very limited budget so I was hoping that you folks could help me out a little bit to find the right place for me.

I have been unemployed for almost a year here in New York, and my best friend's brother-in-law owns a small 10 unit apartment building in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of Washington DC. To help me out my friend help me get hired of the buildings new overnight security guard. I am already licensed as a security guard in NY and NJ, and the superintendent of the building is helping me with my DC certification, so I'm not too worried about that.

The thing is, the salary for the position is not too great and housing is not included (there is only one staff apt and the super lives there with his family). Basically, my absolute maximum budget for an apartment is around $900 per month..... I know that's not even close to get me into DC itself or downtown Arlington or Alexandria, but I'm hoping I'll be able to find myself a tiny studio in a suitable neighborhood not too far from my job.

I don't need anything special, just a basement studio/converted garage/in-law apartment in the neighborhood that is somewhat convenient for a commute and at least reasonably safe.

I would like to find a neighborhood that is mostly working class folks, not a lot of transients and an established community. Would much rather have tradesmen, small business owners, and middle-class families as neighbors than yuppie-like transplants from all over.

Northern Virginia seems like it would be a much better fit than Maryland because Maryland has much higher taxes, and it seems that all of the areas that would be affordable in Maryland are horrible dangerous ghettoes.

I have a car, but its a 1991 Buick and kind of a hunk of crap so I would rather not have to drive it to work every day and I assume in that neighborhood parking is going to be a PITA. So, some kind of transit options work would be good. If I am on a train or a bus I don't mind a longer commute (an hour 1 way) because I can use that time to relax and read a book or something as opposed to having to focus on driving. About transit: does it run overnight? My work hours would be 10 PM till 7 AM on Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, and Sat (off Sunday and Monday) so will I even be able to take the train into the city at that time? What are fares like? Here a weekly unlimited subway pass is $30.

Can anyone recommend an area? Like I said, I would much prefer an older, slightly gritty, blue collar community as opposed to a trendy transplant 'hood.

Having grown up poor in America's largest and most expensive city - I know how to budget and live cheap while still enjoying myself. Not a big nightclub guy here, more or a neighborhood bar type of guy with a mostly regular clientele. On Craigslist there were very slim pickings in my price range that weren't shared apartments and they were mostly in the towns of either Woodbridge or Manassas. The pictures and the google steer view seem nice enough but looks can be deceiving! The person I do know in the DMV area (My future boss who lives in Bowie Maryland) didn't know anything about Woodbridge but he said that Manassas was "in decline" and a Spanish speaking area. Census data says otherwise but it's 5 years old and not always 100% accurate anyhow. I don't mind living in an area with a Latino population, but I don't want to be the only white guy in the neighborhood lol! Is this an issue? Is it a "barrio"?

Which one of these communities would be a better commute? By better I don't mean quicker but easier (ie: Less transferring etc). I would prefer to be able to walk or catch a bus to the train station but If I must, I will park and ride

Anywhere else you would reccomend? Thanks!!!
You have GOT to find a roommate!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:14 AM

15 posts, read 21,712 times
This will not end well for the OP. He'll be tucking his tail and headed back home on debt within less than a year.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
I'm guessing here but don't think OP posted on here to get bashed. If it's not likely to succeed, that's an opinion but not go over the line. I view future neighbors differently than all the wreckless divers that sign up just to ask us how they can skate from a 30mph over speeding ticket and never repost to say thanks.

The OP would be well served if he could work first shift or around that time slot to maximize his commuter options. If not, driving is it. That will put at least 10,000 miles on his vehicle and he will have to live where he can get rent for less than a $1,000. Minimal annual salary working with those constraints on 3rd shift will need to be at least $35k/year. Don't think OP said what his salary was expected to pay out. OP may do it but there should be some light at the end of the tunnel with raises, another shift, something.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:10 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I'm guessing here but don't think OP posted on here to get bashed. If it's not likely to succeed, that's an opinion but not go over the line. I view future neighbors differently than all the wreckless divers that sign up just to ask us how they can skate from a 30mph over speeding ticket and never repost to say thanks.

The OP would be well served if he could work first shift or around that time slot to maximize his commuter options. If not, driving is it. That will put at least 10,000 miles on his vehicle and he will have to live where he can get rent for less than a $1,000. Minimal annual salary working with those constraints on 3rd shift will need to be at least $35k/year. Don't think OP said what his salary was expected to pay out. OP may do it but there should be some light at the end of the tunnel with raises, another shift, something.
OP can survive but he may need to work two jobs and forgo his Sicilian cooking with the pretty ladies for a while...unless he wants to work in a restaurant. Get a real estate license and work in property management with his relative (idea). Perhaps get a job as a trucker until he gets some money in the bank. I don't know but he will figure it out.
He can do it! He is reaching out for ideas so he is definitely motivated to succeed!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:06 PM

40 posts, read 44,545 times
I'm moving to Arlington from Houston next week on a 48k salary. Until I get familiar with the area I will rent a 300sqft basement apartment for $850mo (utilities, cable and internet included) for 6 months. I will be less than 2 miles from my place of work.

During my search I did find Larchmont Village Apartments in Alexandria with studios <$900 mo. I read that you have to buy your own window unit and I'm sure you would have to deal with some other BS.

Larchmont Village Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Alexandria apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 01-23-2015, 05:13 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewjs View Post
I'm moving to Arlington from Houston next week on a 48k salary. Until I get familiar with the area I will rent a 300sqft basement apartment for $850mo (utilities, cable and internet included) for 6 months. I will be less than 2 miles from my place of work.

During my search I did find Larchmont Village Apartments in Alexandria with studios <$900 mo. I read that you have to buy your own window unit and I'm sure you would have to deal with some other BS.

Larchmont Village Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Alexandria apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Mind if I ask what kind of work youll be doing? That's a pretty low salary for this region, even for a entry-level corporate type job (unless youre in a non-corporate type field)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia