Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:29 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times

Advertisements

If you had to move for financial reasons but also like (love) the idea of "Old Town Alex.", river, shops, restaurants, walkable, great transportation, etc., not too far to mountains, four seasons (but would also love to take quick trips to the ocean) - where would you move to? Making myself crazy here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 05:44 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,056,825 times
Richmond/ Carytown?

Old 01-18-2015, 05:49 PM

287 posts, read 767,411 times
The Carolinas

Old 01-18-2015, 05:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,780,099 times
The Philadelphia area comes to my mind, both the PA and NJ suburbs.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:28 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
Thank you for the tips - I forgot to mention I need warmer - conversational snow is okay, having to shovel isn't! LOL. Philly doesn't come to mind as a quick trip to the ocean - I've been thinking about the Carolinas - thought about Richmond - I just don't know the areas, been in Richmond briefly (late DH worked there, and went there yrs. ago for a day) - it's still on the radar - Carolinas are prob. calling me? (actually would love to stay here, for time being at least, but not in this house - can't keep up w/upkeep and can't afford something else here) - prob. a case of "easier to stay w/what you know" - I did move here in early 80's from PA, different story when you're in your 20's and moving somewhere new. There are forums for retirement (but they tend to be older folks and are couples). Anyway, appreciate the tips - I have been trying to investigate the Carolinas.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:58 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,056,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Philly doesn't come to mind as a quick trip to the ocean -
"down the shore" is only about an hour from Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
- I've been thinking about the Carolinas - thought about Richmond - I just don't know the areas, been in Richmond briefly (late DH worked there, and went there yrs. ago for a day) - it's still on the radar - Carolinas are prob. calling me? (actually would love to stay here, for time being at least, but not in this house - can't keep up w/upkeep and can't afford something else here) - prob. a case of "easier to stay w/what you know" - I did move here in early 80's from PA, different story when you're in your 20's and moving somewhere new. There are forums for retirement (but they tend to be older folks and are couples). Anyway, appreciate the tips - I have been trying to investigate the Carolinas.
I"d consider the Carolina's for your requirements, too, but would be wary of much of So. Carolina if 4 seasons are really that important. Try looking at Wilmington.....

Old 01-18-2015, 07:08 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,672,458 times
Ghent in Norfolk maybe? Old Town Portsmouth is very charming too. Richmond is very much like Old Town Alexandria (well looks like it anyway).

You haven't moved to NC yet for a reason. I personally find the state underwhelming and underperforming. Socially it is a backwater with no intentions of dealing with its high poverty rates and achievement gaps.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:10 PM

15,409 posts, read 25,722,081 times
Europe? Isn't Old Town trying to be like a European type town?

Old 01-18-2015, 08:31 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,352,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Richmond/ Carytown?
I second this. Close enough to DC to make weekend trips every now and then, and a good amount to offer on its own at a significantly lower price tag.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:08 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Sounds like the Carolinas might be more what you're looking for, but a few of the things on your original list don't really come to mind when I think Carolinas - namely, walkable, great transportation, and four seasons. I personally like the parts of the Carolinas that I have experienced, but it seems very auto centric, suburban, and sprawling - not a lot of walkable, urban areas like old town Alexandria. Any type of transportation outside of the automobile seems nonexistent. I routinely visit the Research Triangle area over the holidays and almost every time I visit, I find myself thinking that it is just too warm for it to really feel like the holidays - just doesn't seem like four seasons to me without some more cold weather and a little bit more snow, but if you want a warmer climate than here, it may be what you're looking for on that account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia