Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 AM

52 posts, read 206,961 times

Advertisements

AmandaVA: I wouldn't rule out smaller firms, I'd just exercise more caution in checking references, looking at examples of their work, reviewing the contract, not investing more than a modest or reasonable deposit, etc.

If the boundaries of your property are not evident or easily determined from your plat, a surveyor will likely charge a few hundred dollars. Fence companies generally install fence where you tell them to do. Long Fence, I'll mention, secured a city building permit on both occasions that I used them, something some other bidders clearly wanted to avoid doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 AM

67 posts, read 214,468 times
Ah, ok. Either way, we will be having a survey done. I don't want any property/boundary issues to arise later on! I just wasn't sure if we'd have to find our own surveyor prior to calling for estimates, or if some fence companies maybe had business relationships with their own surveyors and would have it done themselves (at our cost, obviously).

I do know we have to get approval from PW County. We're moving into a SFH with no HOA, but they still require approval to put up a fence - just a copy of the plat with details on where we're putting the fence. Seems simple.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,178 times
I agree that Long Fence is very professional and thorough. However there estimates came in approx $3000 more than competitors (Pyle, Best, Premier) and $4000 more than smaller companies. While I believe they would do a good job they wouldn't do a $3000 better job than mom and pop using the same quality product. The project might take a week for mom and pop but take a month if it will save me $3000.

All Long Fence does is bring alot of people and alot of money. Like all projects look for examples of what you want and ask the smaller places for job sites if you are really concerned.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:02 PM

67 posts, read 214,468 times
Long Fence was almost $3,000 more than the other companies for us as well. We ended up going with Halco and couldn't be happier/more satisfied. The fence looks amazing, it was a very reasonable price, and it was great service overall.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
I would recommend Alaska Fence Company [url=http://www.alaska-fence.com]A Virginia fence company[/url]. Yes, they are a DC-area fence company. They came by and knocked out our fence in unbelievable time, smart fence installers (had a couple of tricky areas with trees and a neighbor that built a shed with slab right up against our existing fence.

They do a lot of specialty stuff like sports courts and tennis fences, backstops etc. Ask for Dale.

Good luck

Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 10,390 times
We had a privacy fence built last month, and used a company called lions fence, not sure what their number is, I have the foremans number somewhere, will look for it for you. fantastic job, now we can let the dog run free ( i never knew they had so much energy!!)

Old 10-13-2009, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,520 times
Default Fence contractor

We had a great experience with Expert Fence in Alexandria, Va. From our first call to the many complements from passers by. It is well worth it to use good quality cedar lumber. We found them thru checkbook.org cause they had the highest rating. We paid more that average, but we feel it was worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia