Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:44 PM

754 posts, read 1,736,371 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one feeling this way? Maybe the folks in Loudon and further west feel like they are getting a "good" winter but we have barely gotten any snow in FFx County. I was looking forward to the snow this Sunday into Monday but I don't even see any predictions for FFx County. It's been a semi-cold, very gray and wet (rainy) winter, SO BORING. I am holding out a little hope only because if memory serves me correctly Snowmageddon AKA Snowpacalypse AKA Snowzilla occurred in early February (I seem to remember it around the 8th or so of February).

What do you think? Winter in this area is a bust this year so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 PM

301 posts, read 689,913 times
It does not compare to last year (which is not a big surprise to me), but I wouldn't say it's "a bust." I've lived here for 28 years and my opinion is that Feb is the coldest/worst month of the year. You are right that Snowmageddon happened 5 years ago in Feb., but that was also the worst winter storm in the history of this area....I wouldn't say that's a good benchmark to compare winters in this area. Fact is...this area "normally" does not get bad winters. There have been a few outliers, but in general, this place has fairly mild winters.

I personally am okay with that...I don't like driving in the snow.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:15 PM

6,534 posts, read 8,340,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
It does not compare to last year (which is not a big surprise to me), but I wouldn't say it's "a bust." I've lived here for 28 years and my opinion is that Feb is the coldest/worst month of the year. You are right that Snowmageddon happened 5 years ago in Feb., but that was also the worst winter storm in the history of this area....I wouldn't say that's a good benchmark to compare winters in this area. Fact is...this area "normally" does not get bad winters. There have been a few outliers, but in general, this place has fairly mild winters.

I personally am okay with that...I don't like driving in the snow.
Agree with the above. We typically don't get much snow in this region. Maaaybe once or twice a year we'll get a snowfall of about 3-6".

The amount of snow we got in 2010 is about a once every 10 years occurrence.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:08 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,962,720 times
I would be VERY happy if we NEVER had another snow....it destroys our business! No one here knows how to deal with it, the roads aren't cleared properly...it's a mess!

Old 01-25-2015, 02:40 AM

22,350 posts, read 11,881,460 times
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get much snow this year! The polar vortex last year was horrible. Plus when you have to shovel out a driveway when there is significant snow, it gets old really, really fast.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:41 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,614,527 times
I've lived here all my life and this is typical. Sure, we have occasional years where we get some significant storms but they are the exception.

I find this winter to be a lot like last winter. Just week after week of this nuisance things and a lot of muck, salt, and mess for what amounts to nothing. Most probably because we are hyping and overreacting to the most basic forms of precipitation.

But yes, I'd like to have one "big" one that definitively shuts us down for a day. Not like Snowmageddon but maybe half of that.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 AM

4,893 posts, read 7,413,347 times
Keep in mind -- February is usually the worst month for winter weather.

I'll second the "I would be VERY happy if we never had another snow"

Old 01-25-2015, 09:01 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,419,584 times
I chuckle when someone already says it's a bust. As others said, it's not even February yet. For NoVa it always seems the worst storms come in February, particularly around the three day Washington's Birthday, or I guess now President's Day, Monday off.

Be careful what you wish for.....you may get it.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,780,099 times
I agree with OP. I'd say winter has been a bust so far. I personally enjoy a few decent snowstorms (say 5-6 inches of snow). Of course, as I recall, average annual snowfall for both Reagan and Dulles is around 20 inches per year, so it's not like it is unusual for this area to have winters with little snow, just as it sometimes happens that we get more snow than average. I think most people remember the "bad" years for snow more than they remember the years with little snow.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:15 AM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
There is still a good two months to go before winter can be called a bust. I think Feb will probably produce one big storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: