Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:06 PM

86 posts, read 107,639 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the DC area (quite possibly NOVA). We want to drop down and become a one-car family and live within close proximity to a VRE/Metro station. I have a folding bike, which I understand is allowed to be brought on VRE and Metro, that I plan on using for the commute. Anyone else use a folding bike on public trans? Do you have any helpful stories or tips for making the commute? (Yes, I'll get well prepared and purchases some warm rain gear) Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 02:06 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,233,740 times
At least once a week I see someone with a folding bike at the Reston Wiehle Metro station. Reston has 50+ miles of trails for biking/walking.

https://www.reston.org/ParksRecreati...DMYhPiMQ%3d%3d

Old 01-25-2015, 02:30 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,305,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany2DC View Post
My family and I are moving to the DC area (quite possibly NOVA). We want to drop down and become a one-car family and live within close proximity to a VRE/Metro station. I have a folding bike, which I understand is allowed to be brought on VRE and Metro, that I plan on using for the commute. Anyone else use a folding bike on public trans? Do you have any helpful stories or tips for making the commute? (Yes, I'll get well prepared and purchases some warm rain gear) Thanks.
This is all true. For the most part using metro is better than VRE in terms of cost and wait times. VRE is good for rush hour, but they lack mid-day service so it is difficult to rely solely on VRE every day for a commute. Additionally, due to terrible land use in many suburbs, most housing is separated from VRE stations by major roads, highways, or non-traversal forests. There are some like Springfield that have bike trails or "slower roads" to them, but biking in suburbs can also be harrowing with vehicles routinely speeding 15 to 25 mph faster than speed limit signs.

I would suggest looking at metro stations first, and VRE only as a backup option if the house is very close to the station, in order to assure you can accomplish car light.

Do you have a general budget and minimum house size? That would help us tell you which neighborhoods to narrow down to. Reston would be a good one, but if you had a bit more of a budget you could also look at Vienna and Falls Church which are closer in to the city (less commute time) and also a bit more bike friendly (though Reston is one of the most bike-friendly towns in Northern Virginia). If you are looking for an apartment or condo you could also look at Arlington which is the closest thing to the city in Northern Virginia, or Alexandria which is more historic but also has a good city feel to it.

Good luck

Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 AM

Thank you very much for the replies. The building where I will work at is downtown near the Verizon Center. We've been thinking about Burke because there is a large neighborhood with a circuation of trails that go to the Burke Center VRE Station. VRE from Burke to Union Station (about 1/2 mile from my bldg) would take 50 mins. We've also been considering Reston with the Silver line extended that far out. According to the Metro Trip Planner, it would take 37 minutes to go from the Metro station in Reston to Metro Center which is also about 1/2 mile from my bldg. Does anyone know if that duration is accurate?

We'll first be renting and would like to spend no more than $2200 per month. We'd like a nice townhome (3 bedroom with finished basement and with a small patch of grass in the back). Would it be accurate to assume that utilities would cost about $300 per month which would bring the actual cost up to $2500?

Eventually we'd like to buy a townhouse, again 3 bedroom with finished basement and backyard. We think our price range would be about $425k.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
We've also been considering Reston with the Silver line extended that far out. According to the Metro Trip Planner, it would take 37 minutes to go from the Metro station in Reston to Metro Center which is also about 1/2 mile from my bldg. Does anyone know if that duration is accurate?
Yes the Metro Trip Planner is pretty much accurate - I usually consider Reston to Metro Center to be about 40 minutes. I take the Metro from Reston to Federal Triangle (one stop past Metro Center) a couple of days a week. In the summer and fall I biked to the station and left my bike at the station in the outside racks. There is also a bike room and bike lockers at the station for those who want to leave their bikes at the station.

Quote:

We'll first be renting and would like to spend no more than $2200 per month. We'd like a nice townhome (3 bedroom with finished basement and with a small patch of grass in the back). Would it be accurate to assume that utilities would cost about $300 per month which would bring the actual cost up to $2500?
Here are some options very close to the Reston station. Your utility price might be a bit higher for a month or two at the peak of the summer and winter - depending on your level of heating and cooling.

2056 GOLF COURSE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8526036 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
10921 HARPERS SQUARE CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8539183 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11500 HEARTHSTONE CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8466999 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2196 GOLF COURSE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8501122 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Yes the Metro Trip Planner is pretty much accurate - I usually consider Reston to Metro Center to be about 40 minutes. I take the Metro from Reston to Federal Triangle (one stop past Metro Center) a couple of days a week. In the summer and fall I biked to the station and left my bike at the station in the outside racks. There is also a bike room and bike lockers at the station for those who want to leave their bikes at the station.

Here are some options very close to the Reston station. Your utility price might be a bit higher for a month or two at the peak of the summer and winter - depending on your level of heating and cooling.

2056 GOLF COURSE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8526036 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
10921 HARPERS SQUARE CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8539183 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11500 HEARTHSTONE CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8466999 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2196 GOLF COURSE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8501122 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
Thanks a lot for the response. I'm heavily leaning toward Reston because of the Metro and the fact that it would be a shorter ride and the higher frequency of trains running as opposed to the VRE. I've heard that the schools in Burke and West Springfield are very good and most, if not all of them score between 8-10 on the GreatSchools website. How do the schools in Reston compare? We have a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. Also, does anyone know the approximate cost for part time preschool (4 hours a day) in the Reston area?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the response. I'm heavily leaning toward Reston because of the Metro and the fact that it would be a shorter ride and the higher frequency of trains running as opposed to the VRE. I've heard that the schools in Burke and West Springfield are very good and most, if not all of them score between 8-10 on the GreatSchools website. How do the schools in Reston compare?
Here is the Great Schools ratings for the Reston Elementary Schools -
Reston Elementary Schools - Reston, VA | GreatSchools

The only elementary school in Reston that people avoid is Dogwood (non of the properties I recommended are in the Dogwood district).

The important issue is that Reston, Burke and West Springfield schools are all operated by the same school board.

Fairfax County Public Schools

Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Also, does anyone know the approximate cost for part time preschool (4 hours a day) in the Reston area?
Check out Reston Children's Center and Lake Anne Nursery Kindergarten - they are both highly regarded
Reston Children's Center | Infant & Toddler, Preschool, Private Kindergarten, Before/After School and Summer Camp Programs
LANK - Preschool in Reston, VA

Old 01-26-2015, 12:31 PM

Thanks once again for the very helpful information! We'll be contacting real estate agents about two to three weeks before we move so we can line up some viewings when we arrive.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,885 times
Unlike regular bikes Metro allows the fold-up kind onboard during peak rush hour times. As a regular Metro user I have to say on a crowded train those fold-ups are a real pain. They block the aisle and can easy get tangled in someone's feet. Especially if one needs to get off in a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia