U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 PM

2,240 posts, read 6,803,433 times
Can't believe how time flies...when I wrote this my kids were 14 months-they are over 3 now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,266,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Can't believe how time flies...when I wrote this my kids were 14 months-they are over 3 now
Isn't that crazy! Time for more kids.. or maybe not.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,553,843 times
Have you tried the Heritage Farm? Kids love that place. All sorts of hands on farm activities. They even have a fake cow that the kids can milk and fake chickens to play with. I know that sounds lame but they're more realistic than it sounds and kids love it!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 AM

15,402 posts, read 17,432,140 times
Loudoun Times has a list of all sorts of cold weather activities to do with kids:

Loudoun Times

Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 AM

577 posts, read 1,123,041 times
Default Activities in the Ashburn Area

Join a local mom's group like Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) or MOMS Club and enjoy playgroups, monthly activities, and mom's night out. MOMS Club of Ashburn Village Area, MOMS Club of Leesburg North, Leesburg South

For free:

Visit the animals at Frying Pan Farm Park

Storytimes and activities at the Ashburn, Cascades, and Rust libraries

In the Sterling Target shopping center, visit the animals at PetSmart and play in the children's area at Books A Million

Storytime at Borders in Sterling

Visit the animals (and more) at the Broadlands Nature Center

Local parks and playgrounds

Dulles Town Center has monthly entertainment for kids like Mr. Knick Knack, Rocknoceros, etc.

In the summer some of the local theaters do free movies for kids

Play in the fountains at the shopping center in Lansdowne

For a price:

Science classes at Curiosity Zone

Dance, gym, and art classes from Kinderdance

Art classes at Noodle Doodle (http://www.noodledoodle.com/ - broken link)

Art classes at KidzArt

Dance and gym classes at The Little Gym

Music classes at Music with Maddy

Sports classes at the Dulles Sportsplex

Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum in Winchester, VA (about an hour drive)

Open gym times at the local moonbounce and gymnastics places

Open gym at the Sterling Community Center (ride on toys, climbing toys, etc.)

Leesburg and Reston zoos

Play at some of our local farms like Great Country Farms, Layng's Flower Farm, etc. The Loudoun Farms website has some excellent info about local farms and pick your own fields

Ice skating at the Ashburn Ice House

Visit some state parks like Great Falls

Activities at Claude Moore Recreation Center (http://www.loudoun.gov/default.aspx?tabid=841 - broken link)

Activities at Ida Lee Recreation Center

Loudoun Heritage Farm Museum

Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 AM

36 posts, read 50,397 times
That's around my son's age, we can have a playdate! lol

Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 PM

No, NO MORE KIDS, lol!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 PM

2,006 posts, read 2,795,945 times
I took my almost-18-month-old twins to Udvar-Hazy today. There was almost no one there in the middle of the day and the nice volunteer let us take the stroller up in the tower, which they usually won't do because of the crowds. Otherwise, we might not have gone up at all (they are very hard to manage solo, and I have little monkey backpack harnesses for them - but wasn't sure I felt like trying them today - my kids are FAST). It was a great outing, and well worth the $15 parking fee for my own sanity. I can't wait for spring to get here (and stay).

Old 01-28-2010, 03:58 PM

CD-what do you have? b/g? I have b/g twins...they are 3. I remember how hard it was at 18 months It's still hard, but a different kind of hard. And it is AMAZING how fast kids are, lol! My son is lightning fast-he got away one day (he was standing beside us and then BAM!) and both my husband and I had to chase after him. He got the entire way down the cul-de-sac and over a neighbors yard and ALMOST to hay road. My husband had to jump to tackle him. I guess he did this today with the sitter. I told her you can't let go of him for one second!

I remember LOTS of trips to the mall when they were that age. And I took them to My Little Gym-we only did it for one semester b/c the cost was so much but I was at my wits end at that point!

Anyway, hope you are managing!

Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 PM

2,006 posts, read 2,795,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
CD-what do you have? b/g? I have b/g twins...they are 3. I remember how hard it was at 18 months It's still hard, but a different kind of hard. And it is AMAZING how fast kids are, lol! My son is lightning fast-he got away one day (he was standing beside us and then BAM!) and both my husband and I had to chase after him. He got the entire way down the cul-de-sac and over a neighbors yard and ALMOST to hay road. My husband had to jump to tackle him. I guess he did this today with the sitter. I told her you can't let go of him for one second!

I remember LOTS of trips to the mall when they were that age. And I took them to My Little Gym-we only did it for one semester b/c the cost was so much but I was at my wits end at that point!

Anyway, hope you are managing!
Thanks! It really just started getting rough - they're definitely not babies anymore. The "terrible twos" kicked in about seven months early! And they were such easy and mellow infants. My son has about three inches and ten pounds on my daughter, so I am constantly having to pull him off her when he tackles and tries to bite her. But sometimes they are so sweet to each other.

My husband works from home a lot, so we do get out for lunch, to Dulles Town Center for the playground and carousel, etc., but during weeks like this one where he's traveling, it's very hard to do things by myself. We tried Babygarten at the Ashburn Library a few months ago, but guess whose kids were running around, trying to flip the teacher's chart and grab her boombox off the table? Sigh. We know several kids their age in our neighborhood, but they're in daycare. Are you a member of the Loudoun/Fairfax Mothers of Multiples Club? I'm wondering if I should join that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia