Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Yes. A year and a half ago. Then your car should be registered with the county and you should be paying appropriate taxes on it. You can't deny that fact. The services you and your kids benefit from are funded in part by the taxes you aren't paying.
Somehow I do not think Sasha cares about that.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewjs View Post
I keep my stuff Texas because I was taxed once in Texas when I bought the car and I plan to go back. I dont want be taxed again in Va, then go back to Texas and be taxed again. Thats too much tax.
I'm not sure what "tax" you are talking about, but you should have no extra "taxes" based upon the purchase of the car and should owe (almost) nothing when moving back to Texas.

For sales tax: You pay sales tax on the car, and if you move registration you either don't owe sales tax again or you owe the difference between what you paid and what you would have paid in the new state. Virginia will charge you no sales tax when you register the car here. I believe Texas will charge you $90 for moving a car in from out of state, although that may be exempt if you originally bought it in Texas (not sure). this $90 is likely the only extra charge you have.

For title/registration: you pay something like $10 for a title (one time) in VA, and around $41 per year for registration. I believe Texas is a little more than Virginia, and you'll pay it no matter where you are, this is not really a tax.

Personal Property Tax: You pay this in Virginia (yearly or twice a year) and it is prorated for the number of days your vehicle is in the state. This is part of the state/local tax system. I don't think Texas has an equivalent, but please understand every state/local jurisdiction has different ways of getting their taxes. Between income tax, sales tax, corporate tax, personal property tax, gas taxes, use fees and various others, it all is money the state or localities including in their budget.

So your personal property tax is the "extra" tax and has nothing to do with where the car was purhcased and goes away the day you go back to Texas.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:22 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha2014 View Post
Hi, I think you missed the part where I said I moved to VA a year and a half ago. Reason I still keep Maryland residency is because I have a house up there that I was unable to sell and still pay property taxes and other taxes and because my business is incorporated in state of MD and go there couple of times per week it is just easier for me to keep MD residency. But I do reside in VA now. But if it makes you feel better where I lived in MD, I had a lot of people who lived there with VA and DC cars for years and no one cared.
No, I did not miss that you live here, but conveniently claim residency there in an effort to evade taxes. What others did does not give you any excuse.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
There is a lot of military and students in the area that retain their out of state tags also, and no requirement for them to obtain VA tags. While there of course people who should obtain tags, there are many people who have legit/legal reasons why they do not.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 PM

67 posts, read 58,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
No, I did not miss that you live here, but conveniently claim residency there in an effort to evade taxes. What others did does not give you any excuse.

I am hardly evading taxes. You do realize Maryland tax is higher than VA right? So I am paying taxes for Maryland, anyway I am not the only one who does this, I am sure thousands of others in different states who do the same thing. Like I said when or if my house ever sells then I will purchase here in VA and will change residency eventually. Besides I grew up in VA and did pay taxes as a young adult till I moved away 15yrs ago so it is not as if I am some foreign alien invading your precious VA :-) Anyway I am not possessive about Maryland nor VA.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:07 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
Quote:
I am hardly evading taxes. You do realize Maryland tax is higher than VA right? So I am paying taxes for Maryland, anyway I am not the only one who does this, I am sure thousands of others in different states who do the same thing. Like I said when or if my house ever sells then I will purchase here in VA and will change residency eventually. Besides I grew up in VA and did pay taxes as a young adult till I moved away 15yrs ago so it is not as if I am some foreign alien invading your precious VA :-) Anyway I am not possessive about Maryland nor VA.
Residency Status -- Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Taxation
What is my Residency Status?

Well, yes, you are evading taxes, and you are also paying taxes to Maryland that you do not owe. Residency does not turn on where you own property, it turns on where you reside. You reside in Virginia and are, therefore, a resident of Virginia and owe them income tax on your income (absent the income being sourced in another state that does not have reciprocity with Virginia). You have even stated an intent to permanently reside here. If Virginia ever caught on to what you are doing, you would owe penalties and interest on the taxes you have not been paying to them, and you would also be entitled to a refund of the taxes you have been paying to Maryland.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:15 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
This website has been entertaining and educational for me many years now and part of the value is honest answers that are often not politically correct or legally supported. When my questions on where to live, how to fight a red light ticket, or which way is the cheapest option to get discount tickets, all the answers could have simply been linked to some .gov website but they weren't. At some point, advice and opinions can get too instructive. If recommendations are beneficial, useful, and often funny, I'm on board for another decade on this website!

Old 01-30-2015, 03:15 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm not comparing taxes between the two states. I have lived in both. I know the score. What I'm saying is that you are not a resident of Maryland, except when it's convenient. You should be paying taxes in Virginia. You are using services in this state that the taxes you're not paying are there to pay for them. You may owe some other taxes to MD as well, but I'm not sure since I don't reside in one state and own property in another. What thousands of other do, or do not do, is irrelevant.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:52 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
This website has been entertaining and educational for me many years now and part of the value is honest answers that are often not politically correct or legally supported. When my questions on where to live, how to fight a red light ticket, or which way is the cheapest option to get discount tickets, all the answers could have simply been linked to some .gov website but they weren't. At some point, advice and opinions can get too instructive. If recommendations are beneficial, useful, and often funny, I'm on board for another decade on this website!
Seeing as you posted just after my post linking to several .gov websites, I will simply respond that I don't think helping someone understand that they are in violation of the law and could face financial penalties for what they're doing is "too instructive." Perhaps I feel more strongly about these things as a tax attorney, but that is in part because I have seen people that had a misunderstanding of simple tax law wind up in significant trouble.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:40 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Seeing as you posted just after my post linking to several .gov websites, I will simply respond that I don't think helping someone understand that they are in violation of the law and could face financial penalties for what they're doing is "too instructive." Perhaps I feel more strongly about these things as a tax attorney, but that is in part because I have seen people that had a misunderstanding of simple tax law wind up in significant trouble.
Airjay - my post certainly wasn't aimed at one post and was merely coincidental in timing with yours. We (collectively on here) often do provide lots of opinions on those that post once on here for wreck-less driv-ing because they often come across as ding nothing wrong.

On the tax issue, I've ve seen so many Maryland plates parked through neighborhoods in Woodbridge that the problem is wider spread than just a few vehicles. If either state wanted to fix the problem, there is lots of room for improving compliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia