Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 06:30 AM

247 posts, read 511,017 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We continue to look for apartments once our lease is up in April.

We really like Woods of Fairfax in Lorton & have submitted an application on a 2-bedroom (monthly rent is $1401) for 1000 square feet.
The Woods of Fairfax Apartments for rent in Lorton Virgina

I've also come across Parkwood Court in Alexandria, which has 2-bedrooms for $1389 (950 square feet).
Parkwood Court Apartments | Apartments in Alexandria, VA

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips about the areas/complexes?

I work at INOVA Fairfax, boyfriend works at the INOVA Healthplex in Franconia.

No kids.

Thank you!
Sophie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 07:33 PM

601 posts, read 593,057 times
Nothing really helpful to say here. I live fairly close to Parkwood Courts (in a SFH), and have driven by them, and didn't note anything out of the ordinary. I would check them out for yourself, but man, from my experience, apartment complexes should collectively win some sort of award for making apartments look 1000x better than they actually do, on their websites.

There are a lot of apartment complexes all up and down that 236 corridor that are (in my opinion) aging, dumpy, and overcrowded, but gosh darnit if they don't make them look pretty on their websites.

My *guess* is that Parkwood would be friendlier to both you and your SO for a rush hour commute. In my mind and experience, everything off of 95 is a frigging nightmare.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 AM

Thank you!
Generally, fortunately, we avoid rush hour by working ridiculous hours I'll be leaving home at 6:00pm, and he leaves around 6:00am (and as it is is missing most of the traffic). I think we'll take a look at Parkwood.

Is it in a decent neighborhood in Alexandria?

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2015, 08:07 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDaphne View Post
Thank you!
Generally, fortunately, we avoid rush hour by working ridiculous hours I'll be leaving home at 6:00pm, and he leaves around 6:00am (and as it is is missing most of the traffic). I think we'll take a look at Parkwood.

Thanks!
Looking at a map, I'd say that Parkwood Court Apartments is indeed in a "decent" area: not dangerous but not exciting, either. It's perfectly placed for people who like the convenience of nearby freeway, bus and train options.

I don't know enough about that stretch of Lorton to offer an educated guess on the area around the Woods of Fairfax. I'll say that for both apartment complexes, the asking price for rent is in the low end of middle for a close-in area.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Thank you!

Thanks!
It's a good area. Just be very wary of why the apartments are so cheap. The cheaper apartments in Alexandria especially off of Duke Street in the Landmark area have a reputation for being mice or roach infested, hence the cheaper prices (Not all of them though!). Make sure you check the apartment building reviews online (Apartmentratings.com and Yelp).

I think I've canvassed in that apartment complex in Lorton. It's a pretty good neighborhood with a lot of immigrant families. Schools might not be great if you have kids.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:25 AM

601 posts, read 593,057 times
Agreed, it is a fine area of Alexandria - quieter and more suburban sprawl-y and less to do than Old Town, but still a fine place to live. That complex is a hair short of 2 miles from the nearest metro station (Van Dorn), so not exactly a quick walk, but it is easily accessible. It has decent dining and shopping all around it. You're a quick ride in to Old Town, Arlington and DC, and taking uber/taxi into Arlington or DC isn't completely outrageous, either.

There are plans to tear down Landmark Mall right behind that complex and make something much nicer of it. I'm not sure when that is going to start happening.

I love Ben Brenman Park and Shooter McGee's (restaurant), which are both very close to that complex.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Thank you guys!

Old 02-05-2015, 03:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Hi all,
We continue to look for apartments once our lease is up in April.

We really like Woods of Fairfax in Lorton & have submitted an application on a 2-bedroom (monthly rent is $1401) for 1000 square feet.
The Woods of Fairfax Apartments for rent in Lorton Virgina

I've also come across Parkwood Court in Alexandria, which has 2-bedrooms for $1389 (950 square feet).
Parkwood Court Apartments | Apartments in Alexandria, VA

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips about the areas/complexes?

I work at INOVA Fairfax, boyfriend works at the INOVA Healthplex in Franconia.

No kids.

Thank you!
Sophie
I lived in the Landmark area for a few years. I'd say that area is okay (car-break ins are the biggest problem but completely preventable) but I would personally not do that complex if I had other options because on the next street over (N Paxton) there is a fire station which will inevitably have noise pollution all hours of the night. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to noise pollution after a bad experience with it in Louisville.

Quote:
There are plans to tear down Landmark Mall right behind that complex and make something much nicer of it. I'm not sure when that is going to start happening.
This has been in the works for at least a good 10 years and probably will take 10 more years for a shovel ready plan at this rate.

I have a friend who lived in the Woods of Lorton. Nice units but personally I think your commute is a lot harder there than the Alexandria complex would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia