Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:07 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times

Advertisements

And that is a reputable source how? What are the actual statistics and how do they compare to national numbers. Again, if all the schools are way above the average, it becomes less meaningful.

I don't know schooldigger, or how they rank schools, but there are a lot of dubious information sources on the internet purporting great schools in one area versus another. There was one that said Wise County had a great school... I highly doubt that.

For instance, it looks like one metric that it uses to evaluate is the percentage of free lunch. It looks like it uses Standardized tests heavily as well. WHAT are the rates of graduation. What are the rates of university acceptance. What are the availability of AP programs. Those are way more important than socio-economic demographics. PS, your slam dunk is meaningless to me, and shows how close minded you are that you think your links to a third rate unaccredited website that doesn't even indicate HOW they weight schools and how they do their "study" add anything to the discussion. Pretty bad at debating, you must have gone to one of those free lunch schools.

BTW, to show how meaningless of a website you linked

McLean HS http://www.schooldigger.com/go/VA/sc...38/school.aspx ranked only 10th among 27 schools in Fairfax?! and only 78% better than most Virginia schools.

I am laughing on the floor at that one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM

318 posts, read 368,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
And that is a reputable source how? What are the actual statistics and how do they compare to national numbers. Again, if all the schools are way above the average, it becomes less meaningful.

I don't know schooldigger, or how they rank schools, but there are a lot of dubious information sources on the internet purporting great schools in one area versus another. There was one that said Wise County had a great school... I highly doubt that.
They use SOL test scores and to compare all schools in virginia. If you want to sit down and add the school scores up and compare them feel free to do that here but the results will be the same.

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

or here

DOE BI

Old 02-04-2015, 12:14 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
You asked for an example of a neighborhood in NoVA where the demographics of the school did not mirror the demographics of a neighborhood zoned for that school. So, I gave you one. I never said that perceived school quality does not affect housing values - it most certainly does. The only point I am trying to make is that two of your earlier claims are patently incorrect. One, you claimed that real estate zoned for a select group of 10 high schools is the least risky real estate to buy. I disagree for the reasons I stated earlier. Two, you claimed that the demographics of a neighborhood are always going to reflect the demographics of children at the schools for which they are zoned. That can be the case where the majority of households have children in school, but that is very often not the case, as illustrated by the example I showed you.
Just as a factoid, because I don't want to get too drawn into the "schools drive real estate values" vs. "location drives school ratings" debate, most of the Lee HS boundary is in the Springfield CDP, not the Newington CDP.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrp...ar/cdp_map.pdf

http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarymaps/leehs.pdf

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/map...ary2018-19.pdf

So the demographics at Lee reflect the feeder neighborhoods into Crestwood, Lynbrook, Garfield and Forestdale ES in the Springfield CDP, not just those in the Saratoga ES and Rolling Valley ES district in the Newington CDP that feed into Lee.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:

For instance, it looks like one metric that it uses to evaluate is the percentage of free lunch. It looks like it uses Standardized tests heavily as well. WHAT are the rates of graduation. What are the rates of university acceptance. What are the availability of AP programs. Those are way more important than socio-economic demographics. PS, your slam dunk is meaningless to me, and shows how close minded you are that you think your links to a third rate unaccredited website that doesn't even indicate HOW they weight schools and how they do their "study" add anything to the discussion. Pretty bad at debating, you must have gone to one of those free lunch schools.
Bad debating, free lunch schools? Are you running out of things to say? SOL scores are used to determine school performance.

If you want another rating you can always look at US News which takes SOL, Graduation Rates etc...
Top Virginia High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

BTW, you have to be pretty ignorant to think that SOL scores have no impact on graduation or college acceptance.

How exactly is it a third rate unaccredited website? High SOLs and low FARMS go hand in hand.

Look I get it this area is expensive but I don't try to make believe that you don't suffer consequences from buying in a lower cost lower performing school pyramid. You can't go wrong if you buy in McLean, Langley High School, Madison, or George Mason High School pyramid.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:19 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcyolo View Post
They use SOL test scores and to compare all schools in virginia. If you want to sit down and add the school scores up and compare them feel free to do that here but the results will be the same.

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

or here

DOE BI
It doesn't pass the sniff test, why is Mclean HS so low then on that website and yet it is ranked as a top 10 school in Virginia by other means

Same thing with Langley on that bogus website of yours. Perhaps you need to find a website that doesn't look like it was created by someone with a primitive knowledge of PHP and HTML as your go to source from now on.

Why is it third rate?

It provides no statement on HOW it calculates ranking, which completely is contradicted by anyone who actually has knowledge about particular schools, like in this case Langley and McLean. Explain to me how McLean highschool is only in the 78 percentile in Virginia on your website otherwise.

If you agree that McLean is much much higher on that list, per USNews by the way, then you must concur that the methodology of that third rate website has some faults. One could investigate why the numbers were far off, if they actually provided evidence on HOW they are calculating. They arent just calculating by SOL scores, otherwise, again, McLean high school would not be so low.

And again, you have no ability to discuss this subject evidently because your entire thesis is based on what some random website tells you. Well I can find all sorts of false information on the internet, it doesn't mean its factual or useful.

Last edited by tysonsengineer; 02-04-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:

BTW, to show how meaningless of a website you linked

McLean HS McLean High School in McLean VA - SchoolDigger.com ranked only 10th among 27 schools in Fairfax?! and only 78% better than most Virginia schools.

I am laughing on the floor at that one.
Why would you laugh at that? The SOL scores prove it and 78% is pretty good.

If you would prefer a simpler rating that maybe would be less complicated for you to understand GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community has a 1 to 10 rating using SOLs. I prefer to have more details but some people don't.

Fairfax county is experiencing a major shift in demographics and income. You can no longer use the argument that all schools are the same because many areas are being flooded by lower income ESOL populations.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
Quote:
Good schools do insulate you from housing downfalls.
You can keep saying the same thing over and over again. That doesn't make it true. You have offered zero evidence of this claim, particularly as applied to specific schools or neighborhoods in Fairfax County.

Quote:
I have reviewed your previous posts and it appears that you don't regard school quality as an important factor in your housing decision because in your words " I wouldn't personally rule out any particular home or neighborhood simply because of which pyramid it was in. It is certainly a factor to be considered, but I don't think the differences between schools in this area is enough to warrant it being a wholly deciding factor."

That is your bias but most people with school aged children don't subscribe to that attitude.
I regard school quality as important factor, but not a decisive factor in Fairfax County. I think there are opportunities at almost all of the schools in Fairfax County for a motivated student to succeed and an unmotivated student to not succeed. Most people who disagree with this have only average statistics from some website to quote me, not any actual experience with any of the lesser regarded schools of which they speak. But, I'm not really sure why you're choosing to quote a post of mine from a different thread. My points on this thread, if you were able to understand them, are actually quite different.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
It doesn't pass the sniff test, why is Mclean HS so low then on that website and yet it is ranked as a top 10 school in Virginia by other means

Same thing with Langley on that bogus website of yours. Perhaps you need to find a website that doesn't look like it was created by someone with a primitive knowledge of PHP and HTML as your go to source from now on.

Why is it third rate?

It provides no statement on HOW it calculates ranking, which completely is contradicted by anyone who actually has knowledge about particular schools, like in this case Langley and McLean. Explain to me how McLean highschool is only in the 78 percentile in Virginia on your website otherwise.

If you agree that McLean is much much higher on that list, per USNews by the way, then you must concur that the methodology of that third rate website has some faults. One could investigate why the numbers were far off, if they actually provided evidence on HOW they are calculating. They arent just calculating by SOL scores, otherwise, again, McLean high school would not be so low.

And again, you have no cognitive ability to discuss this subject evidently because your entire thesis is based on what some random website tells you. Well I can find all sorts of false information on the internet, it doesn't mean its factual or useful.
The sniff test? Both websites us news, greatschool and school digger put McLean in the top 10 out of close to 280 schools. They all come to the same conclusion.

Now I can agree with your argument that there is no reason to argue between schools but only in the top 10 from the ratings on those three websites because they are all good. There is good reason to argue that not all schools in fairfax county are good.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:33 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Just as a factoid, because I don't want to get too drawn into the "schools drive real estate values" vs. "location drives school ratings" debate, most of the Lee HS boundary is in the Springfield CDP, not the Newington CDP.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrp...ar/cdp_map.pdf

http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarymaps/leehs.pdf

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/map...ary2018-19.pdf

So the demographics at Lee reflect the feeder neighborhoods into Crestwood, Lynbrook, Garfield and Forestdale ES in the Springfield CDP, not just those in the Saratoga ES and Rolling Valley ES district in the Newington CDP that feed into Lee.
You are absolutely right and even if I had showed the FARMs and racial make-up of Saratoga ES compared to Newington CDP or that of the Springfield CDP vs. Lee HS, one would see significant differences, although perhaps not as much of a difference as that of Newington CDP vs. Lee HS.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
You can keep saying the same thing over and over again. That doesn't make it true. You have offered zero evidence of this claim, particularly as applied to specific schools or neighborhoods in Fairfax County.

I regard school quality as important factor, but not a decisive factor in Fairfax County. I think there are opportunities at almost all of the schools in Fairfax County for a motivated student to succeed and an unmotivated student to not succeed. Most people who disagree with this have only average statistics from some website to quote me, not any actual experience with any of the lesser regarded schools of which they speak. But, I'm not really sure why you're choosing to quote a post of mine from a different thread. My points on this thread, if you were able to understand them, are actually quite different.
Money is a factor, if you had a 1.5 million budget you wouldn't be singing the same tune. People in this area end up settling and justifying it because it's with in their budget. Why do you think people are willing to live in a 750K cracker box house in McLean or North Arlington vs a lower cost area such as Springfield or Falls Church Route 50 7 corners? For the schools and location.

Yes a good student can succeed anywhere but a good student can do even better when surrounded by high performing students with parents who are involved in the school PTA and extracurricular activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: