Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:51 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,129 times

Advertisements

For several years I have noted that football and real estate selling don't go together. As soon as football starts in the fall the market dies off and once the Super Bowl is over the market picks up.

9 properties have come on the market in 20191 in the past week and 2 are already under contract.

How is it going in other parts of NOVA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 07:32 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
For several years I have noted that football and real estate selling don't go together. As soon as football starts in the fall the market dies off and once the Super Bowl is over the market picks up.

9 properties have come on the market in 20191 in the past week and 2 are already under contract.

How is it going in other parts of NOVA?
I'm not sure its the football I think its mostly the fact that when its cold people don't like going from house to house and when its cold the front of every house looks more drab than in the spring so people hold off posting it. Its also logistics, in the fall, kids in school, its really disruptive to move half way through a semester. In the spring, you are setting up to move in the summer, when school is out.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,117 times
There are very few houses on the market in my neighborhood (Kings Park zip 22151). I think our area gets going in spring. Folks moving into our neighborhood usually come for the schools, housing (3 and 4 bedroom SFH) and commute. If you have kids, closing and moving before the next school year is a priority, moving during the school year is not.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:20 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
We listed ours a week ago in Manassas. Wife and I assumed we'd have to wait for spring when things are in bloom and nicer but our agent said the market is hot now around here and listing after the new year is always a good idea in her 30 years of experience. We shall see.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:44 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
I work with an agent that had nine listings go up on the 8th and 9th of January. I think it was more Holidays, than football.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:50 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
I had a good real estate agent when I was selling my condo and buying my house. I entered the market at the end of may. She said I missed the spring market and specifically stated that the spring market here starts before spring and even at the end of January.

She also stated there is a fall market that is also good.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I'm not sure its the football I think its mostly the fact that when its cold people don't like going from house to house and when its cold the front of every house looks more drab than in the spring so people hold off posting it. Its also logistics, in the fall, kids in school, its really disruptive to move half way through a semester. In the spring, you are setting up to move in the summer, when school is out.
It's also about bonuses. A lot of companies give out bonuses in Late Jan. or Feb., and once they come in people start looking for new jobs if they hate their current job and/or think they can find something better. By the time Spring rolls around, a lot of them already have new job situations lined up and require them to sell.

Also, a lot of leases expire in Spring, so those landlords will put their houses/condo on the market too, where it is easier to sell without a tenant.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:28 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Holidays & schools. That's why it slows down in the fall(kids back to school), is dead in December, and slowly begins picking back up in February and March.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,654 times
Some listings in my area are a bit "optimistic" and they are not moving. These sellers might be trying to take advantage of the early season with low inventory. I bet you they would have to lower their prices in a month time with more homes on the market.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:20 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Some listings in my area are a bit "optimistic" and they are not moving. These sellers might be trying to take advantage of the early season with low inventory. I bet you they would have to lower their prices in a month time with more homes on the market.
I think statistics point to getting more money for your home if you price it properly in the first place rather than price it high and reduce the asking price over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: