Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:06 PM

13 posts, read 20,413 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Richmond. My wife is having to take a job in Annapolis. In the meantime, I am still finishing up an advanced degree at VCU.

We are considering moving in between Richmond and Annapolis. This leaves us with only a couple options. Woodbridge area seems to be the most reasonable. I would only me making the drive three times a week to RVA whereas she will drive daily to Annapolis.

How long is the normal commute from Woodbridge to Richmond. And Woodbridge to Annapolis.

Other than that anyone have any better ideas? (Besides living apart)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 04:43 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Woodbridge to Richmond is going to be an hour and 15-30 minutes without traffic. Woodbridge to Annapolis on a VERY good day is 1 hour. Rush hour--I can't even think about it. Hopefully your wife works "off" hours.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Woodbridge to Richmond is going to be an hour and 15-30 minutes without traffic. Woodbridge to Annapolis on a VERY good day is 1 hour. Rush hour--I can't even think about it. Hopefully your wife works "off" hours.
This. ^^

Woodbridge to Richmond is going to be significantly easier than Woodbridge to Annapolis. In non-rush traffic it takes about an hour to get to Annapolis. I'd venture to say, close to 2 hours during rush hours.

She'd definitely save some time if she'd be willing to pay the toll to drive in the express lanes up to the beltway. Maybe that would cut it down to 90 ish minutes.

Time wise (versus mileage), the mid-way point would likely be Alexandria with quick/close access to 395/495. Then you'd both be looking at a 75-90 minute commute.

Can you transfer schools? How much longer do you have to complete your degree?

Last edited by HokieFan; 02-07-2015 at 05:49 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 06:03 AM

Ok. Thanks all of the replies. Unforunately there is no transferring schools. I'm completing my
Phd in the next year and a half. I was afraid responses would be exactly like what was said.

The other option is southern Maryland along 301. La Plata would be about a halfway point. Her and I have a lot to talk about b

Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msawdey View Post
Ok. Thanks all of the replies. Unforunately there is no transferring schools. I'm completing my
Phd in the next year and a half. I was afraid responses would be exactly like what was said.

The other option is southern Maryland along 301. La Plata would be about a halfway point. Her and I have a lot to talk about b
This is an option also. People do commute from Southern Maryland to Annapolis. Not sure what the commute to Richmond is like from there but when I lived in Maryland I would take 301 to go south in Virginia.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
This is an option also. People do commute from Southern Maryland to Annapolis. Not sure what the commute to Richmond is like from there but when I lived in Maryland I would take 301 to go south in Virginia.
Yes. It looks like Waldorf is around an hour 45 to RVA. I am extremely unsure what's further to south where we could find a nice apartment to rent. Anyone know what La Playa is like?

Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msawdey View Post
Yes. It looks like Waldorf is around an hour 45 to RVA. I am extremely unsure what's further to south where we could find a nice apartment to rent. Anyone know what La Plata is like?
You may find the most answers about Waldorf, La Plata and other southern MD communities on this forum.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:54 PM

49 posts, read 94,525 times
Is it an optionfor one of you to get an apartment for the 18 months and then figure out where to live after you graduate and settle on a job?

Also, I suspect it may take a little longer than 75-90 minutes to get to Richmond from Woodbridge, especially if there is any traffic.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:57 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Waldorf or even in towns over on hwy 4 would be easier for her. Three days a week for only 18
Months is a painful concession on her part to live half way. If your three days are continuous, you could stay in Richmond for two nights each week or every other week.

Last edited by johnsonkk; 02-07-2015 at 07:49 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 06:13 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I would say that you might consider living in Crofton or Annapolis area to minimize your wife's commute. Since you only have to be in Richmond three days per week, minimize her commute and reduce your transportation expenses, and use Hotwire or Priceline for a reasonable hotel in Richmond for those nights, or keep a small apartment in Richmond for those nights when you need to be in Richmond.

However, if you need to keep a residence in Virginia for tuition purposes, I would look towards Alexandria as it offers a much easier commute to Annpolis, not having to deal with the DC- and Tysons-bound traffic from Woodbridge on the I-95 corridor. Two-hours at rush hour would not be uncommon for Woodbridge to Annapolis and vice versa.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia