U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:28 PM

118 posts, read 179,437 times

Advertisements

With ridership already down from last year, these new budget plans by WMATA could easily put them into serious bankruptcy and possibly eliminate public transportation for the entire DMV area.

Death spiral or budget chicken? WMATA floats drastic cuts - Greater Greater Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:31 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,661,081 times
So you're saying I should sell my property near the metro now?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
So you're saying I should sell my property near the metro now?
If metro passes their new budget plans and our elected officials in VA, MD, and DC don't step in to help fund Metro, then yes sell your property.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:18 PM

585 posts, read 498,013 times
the cost of building the transportation outweighs everything else within the area, there's no way they will allow the word "bankruptcy" to be thrown around. They will find ways to get the $ to cover the budget shortage.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:38 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,656,798 times
Shaking my head. Metro isn't going anywhere. The system itself will always exist. What is at issue right now is that they will strip service (reduce weekend service, run fewer trains) in order to make up the loss. That will in turn lose riders which eventually will create impetus for change.

A multi-billion dollar system doesn't disappear, the city would not operate if it did. So selling your house would be foolish. But you should get involved, send a letter to your representatives and leaders saying this is absurd and that 4% pay increases while at the same time cutting service is unacceptable.

For reference though, WMATA rail is one of the highest fare box recoveries in America, only NYC gets a better fare box recovery than we do, so the sky isn't falling. That doesn't mean we shouldn't complain, but perhaps just take it in context.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:10 PM

4,854 posts, read 2,916,243 times
When gas prices go back up it will be packed.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:20 PM

99 posts, read 95,217 times
but what about the streetcar !!??

Old 02-10-2015, 04:53 PM

You all are underestimating the frustration from daily commuters and weekend riders who are fed up with metro and are finding other ways to get around. Metro is already losing money and they will lose more if they cut service or raise fares again. For example, a couple of weeks, I went to a wizards game . Do you think I took metro to the game, despite that I'm not that far from the sliver line? Nope, I decided to drive to their nearest parking garage next to Verizon Center. While driving to D.C. isn't fun, metro service on weekends is awful. Who wants to wait 20 minutes for the next train to arrive because of single tracking work again? How many times metro has been doing single tracking work? Come on, it's been 5 years already. These ongoing rail issues is getting really annoying.

At some point, WMATA is going have to own up to their mistakes and have a solid plan on fixing them and telling everyone, including government officials on when the rebuilding plan will stop. Like the article said, the game of "budget chicken" is not viable and it needs to stop.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:01 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,656,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaminjamin87 View Post
You all are underestimating the frustration from daily commuters and weekend riders who are fed up with metro and are finding other ways to get around. Metro is already losing money and they will lose more if they cut service or raise fares again. For example, a couple of weeks, I went to a wizards game . Do you think I took metro to the game, despite that I'm not that far from the sliver line? Nope, I decided to drive to their nearest parking garage next to Verizon Center. While driving to D.C. isn't fun, metro service on weekends is awful. Who wants to wait 20 minutes for the next train to arrive because of single tracking work again? How many times metro has been doing single tracking work? Come on, it's been 5 years already. These rail issues is getting really annoying.

At some point, WMATA is going have to own up to their mistakes and have a solid plan on fixing them and telling everyone, including government officials on when the rebuilding plan will stop. Like the article said, the game of "budget chicken" is not viable and it needs to stop.
Everyone concurs about this, but your logical conclusion assumes that transportation and transit decisions operate in a vacuum. If Metro were to start going bankrupt and services were really dramatically cut (BTW I agree what they are toying with doing would be a dramatic cut that would anger enough people), riders would account for a large enough population to force reform politically. Beyond that, drivers, now seeing tens of thousands of more people driving to work, clogging up major highways and city streets, would again, question what is going wrong and demand questions.

The Tube underwent something like this. The system overall can only ever hit a critical threshold at which point a rejection of all agreements would be enacted, the arbitrator having information showing a mass exodus would force that hand.

Before things get to that point, I hope we can continue to force not just management and safety change (which I think are shallow... see explanation in a second) but actual organizational structural changes. Half of the problem is created out of this abnormal political board/arbitrator component that essentially makes the WMATA manager a puppet position. Frankly I don't even blame Sarles (although I wish he would return that 1 million in salary he didnt deserve) he said many times his hands were tied in many of these issues. I blame Bowser, Supervisor Gross, Mayor Euille much more since they are actually on the board and uniquely capable of implementing changes.

The problem is, for politicians, its about the ribbon cuttings, the "being strong" on safety, and jobs... it has nothing to do with how frequently trains operate, how often we have to deal with unexpected delays, or other operational issues that don't make front page news.

Either way, don't sell your property near metro because you think transit rail will disappear, it's not gonna disappear. At this point the outrage hasn't hit a necessary level mostly because the average person in the area doesn't think about WMATA, or read about WMATA future plans, so doesn't know this is headed for an impasse. When they do find out, I dont think politicians will be able to ignore it.

So please, if you actually care about transit, send a letter to your Senator, your congressman, and your local Board member in an informed tone asking for accountability of organization to make WMATA more sustainable for service.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 PM

170 posts, read 146,348 times
lol @ driving to verizon center instead of waiting 20 minutes, or, better yet just checking the real time arrivals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or