Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2006, 05:08 PM

9 posts, read 76,475 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me an idea of what the commute to DC would be like during rush hour from Ashburn as well as the return.

I am also interested in knowing if the commuter bus schedule from the Dulles North Transit Center is accurate. Does it arrive at the Rosyln Metro on or about the times indicated.

What about a drive to the Vienna metro? Is this a practical approach to getting on the metro?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 08:28 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
I can't speak for the bus schedules since I have no experience taking the bus, but I would imagine that buses are subject to traffic just like everyone else and therefore, the schedules (which from my glancing at it, seemed to be the non-rush hour times) would rarely be met. A non-rush hour commute from Ashburn to DC via car would run some 45 minutes while during rush hour, the commute will run at the least 70 minutes. Metro is very inconvenient and out of the way for Ashburn residents. In non-rush hour, a commute to Vienna Metro will run some 35 minutes while during rush hour, it could run 50 minutes alone during rush hour so most people just wind up saying "forget it" and driving the whole way rather than take Metro as it saves little (if any) time or money.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 40,748 times
Practical timing would be 1 1/2 hrs with traffic.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 25,158 times
Hi, I have travelled in both Loudoun County transit as well as driving to H&M parking lot to take the bus to west falls church and then metro. Loudoun bus is nice, it reaches Rosslyn and first stop in DC within 5 minutes of what is printed in the schedule, but passing through the different stops in DC it gets much delayed. So, if you are going to Rosslyn or the first few stops in DC then I highly recommend you take the Loudoun bus. I tried driving to H&M parking lot and that itself takes more than 30 minutes on a good day. If you were to try Metro I suggest going to West falls church rather than Vienna. I believe there are Loudoun buses that go to West Falls Church but they start after 9AM from North Dulles.

Now I am car pooling and I reach DC in less than 40 minutes.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 45,182 times
Default Rt15/Greenway to Beltway

Hey guys,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Looking at moving from Haymarket to the Greenway corridor. Trying to get a grasp on commute times, so I thought a good measure would be commute time from the beginning of the Greenway/Toll Road at Rt 15 all the way in to the I-495 Beltway. That is a fixed distance rather than saying DC/Vienna, etc.

Of course trying to find out during rush hour, as I would have hit the Beltway no later than 7:15 am. Are there big backups at the toll booths in the morning?

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Old 11-14-2006, 01:06 PM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
Hey guys,

Of course trying to find out during rush hour, as I would have hit the Beltway no later than 7:15 am. Are there big backups at the toll booths in the morning?

Thanks for your help,

Jim
I live in Gainesville and used to work on Wisconsin Ave. I would take the greenway/toll road in and the absolute worst part of the drive was the 1/2 mile or so between the toll booth and 495. There were many mornings that, that part of the drive was the longest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: