U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 08:42 PM

341 posts, read 555,989 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into that area of Virginia because of VA's favorable small business climate, low taxes, and emphasis on education. But Georgia has most of those qualities too, maybe less on education. And it's not as cold or snowy in GA so that's a plus. So why not just stay in GA? Well I'm wondering if that particular area of VA (between NoVa and Richmond) is heavily "Southern" in terms of accent, good 'ol boy way of doing things, and conservative evangelicals. I realize tons of transplants exist in both areas, so would the feel or vibe be that much different? Is it worth relocating?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 01:12 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,368,426 times
I used to live in Stafford. It's definitely not as liberal as Fairfax or Prince William but it's also not as conservative as Georgia.

Being that it's the tail end of NoVA or right outside NoVA it's what you would expect. Culturally it's NoVA mixed with RoVA but the further south you go the more RoVA it becomes especially Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania. If you're looking for something similar to Georgia I think you'd like Henrico County or Ashland which is a Richmond suburb in Hanover County better.

Good luck

Old 02-21-2015, 11:06 AM

5,188 posts, read 13,365,547 times
No, it will NOT feel like Ga! The areas you've mentioned are considered part of No Va....you will not have that "southern" feel....not by a long shot!

Old 02-21-2015, 11:27 AM

677 posts, read 1,019,110 times
Unless it's a significant increase in income and all else being similar I wouldn't move.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,813,349 times
No it's not southern. Move to the Richmond suburbs such as Mechanicsville, VA and you will get that southern rural feel.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:14 PM

904 posts, read 767,453 times
I doubt the OP is looking for rural. he/she asked if the area would be similar to the Atlanta suburbs. I suspect they are looking for a suburban area. In Richmond, Midlothian or Short Pump fit the bill. As for NoVa, if you can afford Fairfax or Loudon, those are great counties. Centerville and Manassas are worth checking out, Culpepper too (but that's getting a bit far on the south western fringes of NoVa and it is probably getting pretty expensive too). Stafford County doesn't have much to offer that you cannot find elsewhere but it comes with much more hassle. Proximity to Washington (and Alexandria) is awesome though.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I doubt the OP is looking for rural. he/she asked if the area would be similar to the Atlanta suburbs. I suspect they are looking for a suburban area. In Richmond, Midlothian or Short Pump fit the bill. As for NoVa, if you can afford Fairfax or Loudon, those are great counties. Centerville and Manassas are worth checking out, Culpepper too (but that's getting a bit far on the south western fringes of NoVa and it is probably getting pretty expensive too). Stafford County doesn't have much to offer that you cannot find elsewhere but it comes with much more hassle. Proximity to Washington (and Alexandria) is awesome though.
Fairfax county is nothing like the Atlanta burbs...... They asked for southern culture. Fairfax has none of that, and most of loudoun too.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:40 PM

904 posts, read 767,453 times
There are over 300 listings for evangelical churches and covenants in Northern Virginia. It appears that there are tons of evangelicals in the area. Tons of southern accents too. The only thing lacking is the good old boy way of doing things. NoVa is a very professional and cosmopolitan area.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
There are over 300 listings for evangelical churches and covenants in Northern Virginia. It appears that there are tons of evangelicals in the area. Tons of southern accents too. The only thing lacking is the good old boy way of doing things. NoVa is a very professional and cosmopolitan area.
Not in Fairfax county though. Many catholics and jews in the area, I'm jewish myself. This data is heavily skewed by the exurbs such as stafford, spotsyvania, etc. Why would someone recommend Fairfax for southern culture. It has none! NoVa doesn't have an accent either, unless you're talking to very older natives. Although they're not strong southern dialect like the tidewater accent. NoVa is not equivalent to the Atlanta burbs. You try so hard to make NoVa seem like it's very southern when it's not. Please stay in the Richmond forum if you're not going to give accurate information. Thank you.

Tons of southern accents? Really..... Also the predominant religion in Fairfax county is actually CATHOLIC.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-25-2015 at 06:22 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 03:36 PM

Suggest this guy Fairfax county and he'll feel like he's living in a suburb in New Jersey. Makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or