U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2015, 06:52 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA from Arlington, VA
2,770 posts, read 2,685,852 times
Reputation: 1550

Advertisements

Personally, I don't really get the 2 hour delays a lot of time.

Like in this case, it is actually getting colder as the day goes on and it is below freezing all day so what's the point of a delay? Or like in the case of delays for cold weather when it's only 3 or 4 degrees warmer at most 2 hours later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Prince William County, VA
664 posts, read 1,619,720 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Drove by a couple pwc schools and lots were not touched today. Should have cleared them in the morning to let the sun dry the pavement. Every business was open today let alone to prepare for a normal opening tomorrow. Somebody does have to make it a priority to work on the weekends at schools. They can take their comp time during the summer months. I agree it's ridiculous to schedule again for a two hour delay. Start time (middle schools) of 10am and end at 245.

Purpose behind a delay is to get more sunlight and let weather conditions improve; neither if which is schedule to tomorrow. I'm betting that two hours is needed to shovel out all the parking lots. If it pans out that only 85% of students can go at regular time, that's acceptable vs. Everyone delay or cancel.

Schools up north don't cancel during deer hunting season; they continue on with only 75% of the students.

From what I understand, the concern as over dangerous icy conditions in the morning. For many high school students in PWC schools, they are out at the bus stop before sunrise. My son is at the bus stop at 6:15 am, and I know many are even earlier than that. It is still completely dark and they don't want students slipping on ice that they can't see.
Bus drivers have to be up and preparing their buses even earlier than that, and its not safe for them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 10:11 AM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,864,205 times
Reputation: 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Somebody does have to make it a priority to work on the weekends at schools. They can take their comp time during the summer months...
Comp time during the summer months? LOL

Most school employees are contract employees....contracted for a certain number of days per year. Summer "vacation" is actually a period of unemployment (ineligible for UE benefits however). Many, if not most, school employees work a summer job elsewhere to tide them over until school starts again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 10:29 AM
 
Location: NOVA
4,521 posts, read 5,215,281 times
Reputation: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Comp time during the summer months? LOL

Most school employees are contract employees....contracted for a certain number of days per year. Summer "vacation" is actually a period of unemployment (ineligible for UE benefits however). Many, if not most, school employees work a summer job elsewhere to tide them over until school starts again.
I'm glad the irony came thru on this solution. In reality, a contractor would be the ones realistically plowing a school on the weekend but money is difficult to find for this expenditure.

On a separate note, are we saying that school teachers making $70k a year are supplementing their income by working the summer months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 10:37 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,835 posts, read 41,911,495 times
Reputation: 43207
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Personally, I don't really get the 2 hour delays a lot of time.

Like in this case, it is actually getting colder as the day goes on and it is below freezing all day so what's the point of a delay? Or like in the case of delays for cold weather when it's only 3 or 4 degrees warmer at most 2 hours later?
That's the updated forecast. When the various school systems made the call yesterday (in VA and MD both) the forecast was that the cold front was to come in shortly after midnight and lock things up before dawn. As late as the 10 o'clock news last night that was still the forecast. So the school systems were being preemptive.

The forecast was wrong.

I'm over by the Bay and what was running off my roof an hour ago is now turning into icicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 11:57 AM
 
Location: D.C.
2,210 posts, read 1,832,825 times
Reputation: 3480
I certainly do understand the basis of west loudoun and east loudoun and what that means for folks, more so for teachers. It is my understanding that, at the core of the argument to split the two in terms of school closings, is the fact that several of the staff/teachers in the eastern section actually live in the western section for cost of living reasons. So, it does make sense.

It just surprises me that we all seem to feel impressed with ourselves by being named one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, when we have elementary schools that can't offer some of the basics as an elementary school in a poorer area, such as an playground, ball park, ect. For example, Mooresfield Station. Here, we have the largest elementary school in the system, a basic two-story brick building, housing nearly 900 kids, yet no playground. Additionally, it fronts to what is a missing stretch of road that measures roughly 1,000 yards to connect. So, instead, traffic has to wind down a narrow two lane road and through a parking lot of a neighboring apartment complex. Why? Because LoCo doesn't think it should be the one to build the road, but rather to keep it as a "proffer" statement for a future real estate developer to do on their own dime in order to receive building permits to finish the area for townhomes and more retail space. The same old model that caused all of that development nearby to go bankrupt in the first place by the original developer out of texas. How corrupt.

Furthermore, I personally donated an SUV full of play balls and other items last year because the kids needed them and there was no room in the funding for them. So, instead of talking about it with the excuse-makers, we just showed up to the class room with them. Problem solved, and happy to do it again.

I find it funny how we're expecting our 5 year old children to count money, read, and do math to progress to the 1st grade, when some of those who are setting these expectations for the teaching staff, obviously can't do the same.

Raise the friggin' RE Taxes $30/year across the board and let's get this fixed. It's for our kids, for crying out loud. If western Loudoun doesn't want to do this, then zero in to zones for the special tax assessments and keep those dollars to their respective zones. Hard to swallow a $800,000 price-tag, when it doesn't come with a properly funded school.

Last edited by NC211; 02-23-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Virginia
8,106 posts, read 12,649,291 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post

On a separate note, are we saying that school teachers making $70k a year are supplementing their income by working the summer months?
Maybe, maybe not, but that salary amount you chose is probably 18 to 21 years up the pay scale depending on the teacher's degree step. Many I know on the lower half of the scale work through the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA from Arlington, VA
2,770 posts, read 2,685,852 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Raise the friggin' RE Taxes $30/year across the board and let's get this fixed. It's for our kids, for crying out loud. If western Loudoun doesn't want to do this, then zero in to zones for the special tax assessments and keep those dollars to their respective zones. Hard to swallow a $800,000 price-tag, when it doesn't come with a properly funded school.
I was shocked to read that Loudoun doesn't have full-day kindergarten in 2015. In 1996, my school district in North Carolina already had full-day kindergarten and that was 20 years ago.

And this is one of the richest counties in the country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 05:42 AM
 
968 posts, read 1,441,087 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I was shocked to read that Loudoun doesn't have full-day kindergarten in 2015. In 1996, my school district in North Carolina already had full-day kindergarten and that was 20 years ago.

And this is one of the richest counties in the country...
Lack of full-day kindergarten and elementary school playgrounds surprised me, too. It's my understanding that just 20 or so years ago, Loudoun County actually had a surplus in their education budget. But I suppose with the explosive population growth, the funding is constantly being used up on building new schools as many that were once comfortable quickly grew to over capacity. Yes, more tax money coming in with increased population, but building new schools requires a lot more funding than playgrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 06:15 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,835 posts, read 41,911,495 times
Reputation: 43207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Lack of full-day kindergarten and elementary school playgrounds surprised me, too. It's my understanding that just 20 or so years ago, Loudoun County actually had a surplus in their education budget. But I suppose with the explosive population growth, the funding is constantly being used up on building new schools as many that were once comfortable quickly grew to over capacity. Yes, more tax money coming in with increased population, but building new schools requires a lot more funding than playgrounds.
If the property tax structure in VA is anything like in MD the additional property tax realized from each new housing unit is roughly 1/2 the cost per student. That means that jurisdictions who are heavy on residential construction and light on business/industrial creation end up playing catch up to what becomes a yearly structural deficit in school funding.

It's true that every new house doesn't put a kid into the school system but there is a formula used to predict the rough numbers. You also have to look at who is buying the new houses, younger buyers are more likely to add kids while older ones likely won't.

The above is a mistake we made here where I live back in the 1980s. The result was that 19 schools had to be built over a 20 year period, mostly elementary schools which also didn't have playgrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top