U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2015, 04:49 PM
 
222 posts, read 191,115 times
Reputation: 206

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Could they not all be right. Could they not all believe they saw what they saw? The human mind is flawed, humans are flawed. I find it hard to second guess the police every time they make a mistake because I was not there. They would not have been there if this guy was acting responsibly.
Your argument fights with each other I don't know where to begin. If you find it hard to second guess the police because the human mind is flawed then what's the difference if you were there or not. If you were there, then according to your ridiculous logic there will be 5 different flaws instead of 4. Your logic boils down to human mind are flaws, therefore never question the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2015, 06:18 PM
 
2,670 posts, read 4,518,379 times
Reputation: 2117
Thanks to all who posted on this thread and provided facts, links and comments. Sad case and I hope the investigation continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,821 posts, read 2,873,556 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Yes, different observers theoretically could report an event differently--but that isn't what happened here, so I'm not sure why you're fixating on that. Four people saw the same thing.
But he says he saw a different thing. Could they not all believe they are correct? Eyewitness testimony is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,821 posts, read 2,873,556 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieplangdu View Post
Your argument fights with each other I don't know where to begin. If you find it hard to second guess the police because the human mind is flawed then what's the difference if you were there or not. If you were there, then according to your ridiculous logic there will be 5 different flaws instead of 4. Your logic boils down to human mind are flaws, therefore never question the police.
I find it PERSONALLY hard to second guess the police based on hearsay for every event that comes up. I can wait for it to go through the courts and let them decide. With a gun being involved I am even more inclined to be patient as it works through the court system. IF I were a juror I would review the evidence provided to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 07:51 AM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,859,475 times
Reputation: 3773
A large part of the furor over this case is the year and a half of stonewalling by FCPD. We wouldn't know any of what we now know were it not for the intervention of Senator Grassley of Iowa. That's when I concluded that this case must really smell if a U.S. Senator from a far away place is outraged enough to involve himself in a local matter.

If nothing else, I hope this case results in the end of the practice of allowing the police to "investigate" themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 08:07 AM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
9,129 posts, read 4,255,835 times
Reputation: 5138
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
A large part of the furor over this case is the year and a half of stonewalling by FCPD. We wouldn't know any of what we now know were it not for the intervention of Senator Grassley of Iowa. That's when I concluded that this case must really smell if a U.S. Senator from a far away place is outraged enough to involve himself in a local matter.

If nothing else, I hope this case results in the end of the practice of allowing the police to "investigate" themselves.
This hits the nail on the head. Officer Torres deserves a fair hearing. And I suspect that at some point he'll get one. In a court of law. If he doesn't take a plea deal first. But Chief Roessler should simply be fired. And all of the attorneys connected with the FCPD. If there is anyone following this thread that thinks that the way FCPD handled this case passes the smell test I'd like to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 09:00 AM
 
222 posts, read 191,115 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I find it PERSONALLY hard to second guess the police based on hearsay for every event that comes up. I can wait for it to go through the courts and let them decide. With a gun being involved I am even more inclined to be patient as it works through the court system. IF I were a juror I would review the evidence provided to me.
Of course you are inclined to wait. After all, they have succeed in stonewalling for over a year and a half, another year and a half then they can sweep it under the rug.

BTW, According to you human is flawed. Why should you be a juror? Are you not flawed? What would you judge Torres on anyway? You made ridiculous extrapolation of 4 different versions when in fact it's only 2. You are only looking for doubt to wash away the guilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,821 posts, read 2,873,556 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieplangdu View Post
Of course you are inclined to wait. After all, they have succeed in stonewalling for over a year and a half, another year and a half then they can sweep it under the rug.

BTW, According to you human is flawed. Why should you be a juror? Are you not flawed? What would you judge Torres on anyway? You made ridiculous extrapolation of 4 different versions when in fact it's only 2. You are only looking for doubt to wash away the guilt.
I am looking for nothing. I have very little interest in this case either way. I have no problem letting the process play out according to the law.

It is true I do not think I am perfect. Are you perfect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 AM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,937,269 times
Reputation: 3857
No one is suggesting Torres be tried in the court of public opinion. However, the public still has a right to express opinions, as we're doing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,821 posts, read 2,873,556 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
No one is suggesting Torres be tried in the court of public opinion. However, the public still has a right to express opinions, as we're doing here.
As do I.



Quote:
The holstered handgun initially wielded by John Geer, and then almost immediately set down, is seen on the landing next to the front door of his townhouse in Springfield on Aug. 29, 2013, next to some cheerleading pompoms. (Fairfax County Police Department)
Not sure what caliber this is but I think it could go through a few walls. Does not look like a .22 to me. Looks like he did not put it between his feet in clear view but behind concealment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top