Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM

11 posts, read 43,127 times

Advertisements

As the move to NOVA becomes more likely, the most suggested places to me are Great Falls and McLean. As I said in a previous thread, a typical suburban neighborhood like Ashburn's Brambleton appeals to me; I really enjoy the green space, the yards, the family-friendly environment and people, and the children playing everywhere. And overall, this is the kind of environment I'd like for my kids.

I think its established that Fairfax has the best schools over Loudoun, and some of those best school districts encompass Great Falls and McLean. Plus, being close to Tysons would be perfect.

That being said, are there these kinds of neighborhoods in Great Falls? On a previous thread, most people gave suggestions in McLean, but now I'm wondering about Great Falls.

I have family throughout NOVA but I don't think I've ever seen this area before (apart from the Great Falls Park). My budget is between $1-1.6 million (preferably lower, but I might be able to push for a little higher). I've saved up enough money and told my wife I'd buy her a mansion as a way of softening up the idea of her moving haha...again, any suggestions in Great Falls that have a Brambleton-type vibe to it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Actually on second thought...apart from just the first question I had above, can someone else sell me on the idea of living in Great Falls/McLean as opposed to Ashburn (and vice versa)? Aka Ashburn supporters tell me your point of view and others tell me theirs. Pros of having that suburban vibe in Ashburn vs. more urban in McLean, etc

Thanks again guys...this is a real hard choice

Old 04-14-2013, 02:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
Great Falls and Ashburn are night and day, in my opinion. Ashburn is a cookie cutter planned community with sidewalks and shared common spaces, Great Falls is individual homes on larger lots. Both have their appeal, but they are very different.

Can you look up the street views on google maps for great falls and zoom around the neighborhood? If Brambleton is your ideal, I'm not sure Great Falls is going to do it for you.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 PM

531 posts, read 1,428,214 times
Great Falls is completely different than Brambleton. Properties in Great Falls are more similar to houses and communities in parts of Fairfax Station, Clifton, and Western Loudoun county. Large houses on large lots. You will get a completely different vibe than Brambleton.

If you are attracted by the family/kids friendly atmosphere in Brambleton, I doubt you will like Great Falls, which is more rural, tranquil, and upscale. It also depends on the age of your kids. The difference won't matter as much for high school or college aged children as for younger children. The beauty of Great Falls lies in the fact it's a gem with rural feel in the middle of suburban Fairfax and its proximity to the urbanized Tyson's Corner. The schools are also top notch in this area.

I went to Brambleton to look at properties today. My son played at one of the parks besides the town center. I have to say Brambleton is perfect for little kids. The community is full of life and human pulse. On the contrary, my current home in Western Loudoun is in a community with much larger lots and larger houses. There is no community park or club houses. Many neighbors have pools and playsets but I seldom see anyone in the yards playing. Children do trick or treat by cars during Halloween due to the distance between houses. I love my community but it is far from ideal for my son. I am thinking about moving for this reason.

Last edited by newnewsmama; 04-14-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 03:42 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliterp07 View Post
great falls and ashburn are night and day, in my opinion. Ashburn is a cookie cutter planned community with sidewalks and shared common spaces, great falls is individual homes on larger lots. Both have their appeal, but they are very different.
+1

Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
Great Falls is completely different than Brambleton. Properties in Great Falls are more similar to houses and communities in parts of Fairfax Station, Clifton, and Western Loudoun county. Large houses on large lots. You will get a completely different vibe than Brambleton.

If you are attracted by the family/kids friendly atmosphere in Brambleton, I doubt you will like Great Falls, which is more rural, tranquil, and upscale. It also depends on the age of your kids. The difference won't matter as much for high school or college aged children as for younger children. The beauty of Great Falls lies in the fact it's a gem with rural feel in the middle of suburban Fairfax and its proximity to the urbanized Tyson's Corner. The schools are also top notch in this area.

I went to Brambleton to look at properties today. My son played at one of the parks besides the town center. I have to say Brambleton is perfect for little kids. The community is full of life and human pulse. On the contrary, my current home in Western Loudoun is in a community with much larger lots and larger houses. There is no community park or club houses. Many neighbors have pools and playsets but I seldom see anyone in the yards playing. Children do trick or treat by cars during Halloween due to the distance between houses. I love my community but it is far from ideal for my son. I am thinking about moving for this reason.
Thank you so much for that response. It was incredibly helpful and finally put everything in complete perspective for me.

My kids are real young (ages 3 and 5), and for that reason alone, Brambleton appeals to me more. I feel like now, I'm going to be putting more of an emphasis on Brambleton and I'll head over there soon to begin looking at properties. I'd like them to be able to play outside in the yards, play in the community parks, have clubhouse options, and other kids in the neighborhood to play with. I guess I'll deal with the commute somehow.

I guess I don't have to stay in Brambleton for life, you know? Like you said, older kids probably don't notice the differences between Great Falls and Brambleton, and since I'm planning on making NOVA my permanent home (for life), maybe once they get older and more mature, moving out toward McLean or Great Falls would be an option, if that's what I still want.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:21 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post

I am very familiar with both areas and I think newnewsmama provided a good summary. I would also add that one is far more likely to find young families in Brambleton than in Great Falls (the median ages are, respectively, 32 and 45). Most families I know in the former have elementary school-age children while most in latter have teenagers and college-age ones.

However, I'd caution the OP about limiting the choies to the two places. There ARE Brambleton-like areas all over Fairfax, especially in western part of the county, that may be closer to his work than Brambleton. I like Brambleton a lot, but it is a tough commute to DC unless he has significant schedule flexibility.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
Don't rule out McLean. There are homes in family-friendly neighborhoods in your price range, and your commute would be much easier. McLean is not Brambleton, of course -- the homes will be older, and your neighbors will include retired couples and parents of teenagers as well as young families. There are plenty of recreational amenities, though not as shiny new and convenient as you will find in the exurbs.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
I also would look at McLean. I have a young child and just had a 2nd and McLean would be my ideal location in this area, if it weren't so expensive. Great schools, close to the city for where ever my future commute may take me, nice neighborhoods. The homes are older but with a budget of over 1M you'll be able to find a very nice house. Like alot of the desirable neighborhoods with older housing stock, many homes there have been knocked down and rebuilt within the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia