U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:42 PM

631 posts, read 521,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Why don't you wait and see what your salary offer actually is first? Seems silly to develop a negotiation strategy when you don't even know what you are negotiating for yet. If the offer is below what you want you ask for more and be firm about it and prepared to walk. If it's a good offer you ask for a little more anyway and if they don't bite you still have your good offer. Pretty simple.
Yes you should see the offer first. I'm surprised this was not discussed early on. Some companies do not negotiate. They present a best offer and thats it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 PM

4,896 posts, read 8,739,874 times
You mentioned the mean salary for your skill set, but where are you in your years of experience compared to the mean? If you have more experience than average then you can legitimately demand a higher than average salary.

Also, what is this new salary compares to your current or latest salary? Is it worth your while to make the switch?

Do you have to move more than 100 miles to your new job? If so, what is the relocation package? Do you currently own your house? Will the company buy your house & pay the closjng cost of your new house? Are they willing to pay your rent for 3 months? 6 months?

How is the cost of living in DC/ NoVa vompare to where you are now? Is it 30% higher? If so, should you not be compensated accordingly?

How important is vacation time for you? Do you get 2 weeks vacation + 2 weeks sick leaves on the new job? Or is it just 2 weeks "personal time off"? Because of your "seniority" can you negotiate to have MORE vacation, like 4 weeks, instead trying to negotiate a higher salary?

Most importantly, does this new job help to enhance your resume for the next job? Broaden your skills? Put more tools in your toolset? Do you WANT this job?

What is the 401K package? How much does company contribute/ matching your contribution into your 401K?

How about medical/ dental/ vision insurance?

How are your bonus calculated? Is it based on a quantifiable metric?

Any stock options?

OK, now we can talk about my sign on bonus......

So you see, there are a lot more than just salary you will be negotiating. Negotiate the whole compensation PACKAGE and not just about salary.

Congratulation on your new job

Old 03-02-2015, 09:34 PM

36 posts, read 33,496 times
Well i live in fairfax and the job is in Rosalyn but since it is consulting the client site is mostly in DC. in terms of benefits it should be as good as my current one if not better. It has a performance bonus compared to 0% for my current job.
It will definitely broaden my skillset as it combines business aspects and technology and it is better than my current job of more pure technology /development.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:44 PM

4,896 posts, read 8,739,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioil View Post
Well i live in fairfax and the job is in Rosalyn but since it is consulting the client site is mostly in DC. in terms of benefits it should be as good as my current one if not better. It has a performance bonus compared to 0% for my current job.
It will definitely broaden my skillset as it combines business aspects and technology and it is better than my current job of more pure technology /development.
In that case, don't negotiate too hard. Take the job!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:45 PM

21 posts, read 23,705 times
I would say $130 should be your minimum. I heard an almost identical line from a contractor about the bonus, but you lose most of it in taxes. If you don't live in this area, look up a cost of living calculator and compare it to where you are now before your conversation tomorrow, just to get an idea. I don't disagree that the TS is worth something, but so many people have them that it's not really a leg up in negotiations. If you want to use that, perhaps have something that sets you apart from others who may be offered the job (your skills, experience, or expertise). Best wishes! Don't settle for $110

Old 03-03-2015, 07:00 AM

757 posts, read 1,332,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off4Fun View Post
I would say $130 should be your minimum. I heard an almost identical line from a contractor about the bonus, but you lose most of it in taxes. If you don't live in this area, look up a cost of living calculator and compare it to where you are now before your conversation tomorrow, just to get an idea. I don't disagree that the TS is worth something, but so many people have them that it's not really a leg up in negotiations. If you want to use that, perhaps have something that sets you apart from others who may be offered the job (your skills, experience, or expertise). Best wishes! Don't settle for $110
Just to clarify, at the end of the year, the government doesn't apply any different tax to a bonus than any other salary. A $20,000 bonus doesn't get taxed by the government any more than the last $20,000 you make in a year, it all goes to your tax bracket.

What does happen is the withholding is different at the time of payment. The bonus can be including in your regular check, and then the payroll software calculates your tax bracket based upon your check being an equal part of your pay. So if you get paid twice a month, it calculates taxes based upon multiplying your current check by 24 and figuring that as your tax bracket. That is why some there is may be large amount of taxes out of that check, because the calculation places you in a higher tax bracket for withholding purposes that period. It will even out when you file taxes, as you'll end up paying the proper amount and getting a refund if you over paid.

The other mechanism is to pay bonus separately and there is a flat rate for withholding (I think 25% federal at this time, don't quote me as it has changed over time...and we have the new healthcare tax).

But again, that is just withholding, not actual filing. Your yearly taxes are the same if you make $50k with another $50k bonus, or $100k. It's real money, don't ignore it, but know that as a bonus it isn't guaranteed.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 AM

790 posts, read 1,604,984 times
Thanks for the explanation z281lt -- that was great! If they do take a hunk out with your paycheck, you'll get it back when you file your taxes.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 AM

36 posts, read 33,496 times
Ok so i talked with the recruiter and it didn't go as well i would've liked:
Benefits is typical choices from several services so that's fine.

Talked about bonus structure which is performance based on scale of 1 to 5. The bonus range is 18% to 0 ,0 % is for performance of a 4. 3 is usually 7% bonus. This is in addition to whatever salary increase typically happens. A point of reference is someone i know got a total bonus and salary value of 20% her salary for a performance of 2.

They do expect 60 hr weeks 40 with client 20 side stuff which is expected from consulting firms.

The salary is 100ish. Their argument is they were thinking of 90ish but with my clearance they boost it up. It is a 20% salary jump from my current pay and they use that reason to not give me sign on bonus. I brought up glassdoor he says it is usually inflated 10% and his salary is even 10% lower. I am not sure if hes telling the truth but i do notice salary difference for conaulting jobs on payscale.com and that is mid 90s.

As you all know i was not actively looking they contacted me first so the probability of me bringing up another offer is 0 given the friday deadline for acceptance. I doubt my current company is going to match this either.

I dont think i have any other points to negotiate.. an ex company coworker did mention i could give them the silent treatment till they budge but ultimately it is how much i want this job and how much opportunities it can give me even if i stay there for a couple of years...

Old 03-03-2015, 10:13 AM

51 posts, read 68,613 times
Tell Deloitte to give you more money! How many hours a week do you work now? 60 a week is a lot.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 AM

51 posts, read 68,613 times
Also, out of curiosity, how many years of experience do you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or