U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 AM

656 posts, read 369,254 times

Advertisements

I've been playing around with the idea of owning a (used) smart-car some fine day in the future, but given how rough this winter has been, what with the abundance of ice-coated streets and mountains of plowed snow (and apparently more to come), I'm just wondering how current owners of this (absolutely adorable ) car are managing. Has it been not that bad? Or has it been an absolute nightmare? Or somewhere in-between?

Thanks in advance; it will be a big help in deciding which way to go on this.

(again, adorable... I'd pinch that car's cheeks if it had 'em)
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:17 AM

504 posts, read 1,027,885 times
What's your reason(s) for getting a Smart, besides it looks adorable (to you)? If fuel efficiency is your target, there are other better options.

My one-day experience (loaner from my tinting guy) with the Smart car was terrifying and unimpressed. Anemic acceleration and noisy. And no matter how well the shell might have been designed, being able to (sort of) reach back behind me and physically touching the grill of a big SUV does not comfort me.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:20 PM

564 posts, read 826,154 times
A co-worker of mine pointed out that absolute best use for a Smart-car would be as a escape vehicle for SUVs! Think about it!

So you are driving your SUV and for whatever reason, it breaks down. Pop out the Smart-car you have in the back and you are on your way!

Kind of like how ocean liners have lifeboats or the Starship Enterprise has emergency shuttles to escape the ship in the event of a disaster.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
What's your reason(s) for getting a Smart, besides it looks adorable (to you)? If fuel efficiency is your target, there are other better options.

My one-day experience (loaner from my tinting guy) with the Smart car was terrifying and unimpressed. Anemic acceleration and noisy. And no matter how well the shell might have been designed, being able to (sort of) reach back behind me and physically touching the grill of a big SUV does not comfort me.
Of all the cars affordable for me, a (used) smart carries with it the ideal combination of fuel-efficiency and a lower up-front cost (I could buy it outright rather than be saddled with car-payments for all eternity, and still have money left over to survive). Other vehicles, some of which are even more fuel-efficient, would suit me fine if I didn't mind not eating ever again.

However, since it's already a given that there's not a single vehicle out there that everyone likes, I should probably reiterate that the OP pertains to—and is directed specifically towards—those living in the NoVA area who actually own (and, therefore, presumably do like) smart-cars and who are driving them in the current snow/ice environment.

-

Old 03-04-2015, 02:44 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,146,850 times
My coworker has owned one since 2011. The winters are rough on him. The car is not very good on ANY amount of ice so he often has to use his extra car on those days.

He's actually getting ready to get rid of it. He believes the car is totally safe and drives 395 everyday into DC but the body integrity has not held up (lots of lose parts and small issues) and it does NOT take rough road very well.

It is a car well suited for absolute city leaving and nothing more. I've been a passenger in it many, many times and it is roomy enough but it is a rough ride.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,053,733 times
I think they are too overpriced for what they are. You can do better with the same amount of money.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:26 PM

814 posts, read 697,750 times
Buy a real car and stop holding up commuter traffic with your clown vehicles.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Buy a real car and stop holding up commuter traffic with your clown vehicles.
Not sure to whom this little outburst was directed, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
I think they are too overpriced for what they are. You can do better with the same amount of money.
That very well may be true.

However, my question specifically deals with how actual owners of the vehicle are handling the driving-conditions brought on by the recent weather in our area, as opposed to the more general topic of the vehicle's overall value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My coworker has owned one since 2011. The winters are rough on him. The car is not very good on ANY amount of ice so he often has to use his extra car on those days.

He's actually getting ready to get rid of it. He believes the car is totally safe and drives 395 everyday into DC but the body integrity has not held up (lots of lose parts and small issues) and it does NOT take rough road very well.

It is a car well suited for absolute city leaving and nothing more. I've been a passenger in it many, many times and it is roomy enough but it is a rough ride.
This is good to know; thank you!

-

Old 03-04-2015, 07:00 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,900,164 times
The only reason I would consider a Smart car is for the boat. Sometimes, when cruising, you just need road transportation.

I've seen comparable pleasure craft with a Smart aboard, so I know it's feasible. I think my davit would handle a Smart but I would worry about handling difficulties that much weight on the cabin roof might cause, especially with a Zodiac already up there. It might cause a top heaviness that would be dangerous in a seaway. I'd hate to have to shove the Smart overboard in a storm....LOL.

Better stick with the motorcycle...

Old 03-05-2015, 07:06 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,146,850 times
OP, as you can see by this thread, for some reason people have real issues with the Smart. I'm not sure why. IRL, those issues seem to be predominently with men. My friend who has one is a male (former Jeep Wrangler driver) and says it's ridiculous. He has endured a lot of "road rage" from males in large pickup trucks who seem to take issue with the car. They purposely tailgate him and sneer. It's just weird as I have been in the car and witnessed it myself.

Contrary to what has been stated above, the car has as much "pickup/acceleration" as my Hyundai Elantra or my friend's Corrolla. I have also been in the Smart many times in the HOV lanes as he has driven it easily at 80mph so it's not a "speed" issue as my friend in the Smart drives rather aggressively.

I think some people are just wigged out by new things that are contrary to their whole identity!!

That said, I still don't care for the car but I hate when people bash something that they really don't know much about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia