Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,526 times

Advertisements

I am considering a civilian position located at Quantico and have concluded from this forum and other sources that I should live north of Quantico and south of the river to keep the commute relatively short and reduce the risk of being trapped in a traffic jam. I am not looking to buy at this time and I do not have children. I am leaning towards Occoquan since it appears to be slightly more colorful than its neighbors and a good compromise between the commute and access to DC via the Springfield Metro station. I was stationed at Fort Belvoir for nine months in 2006, so I have a little knowledge of the Beltway. However, I know almost nothing of the area that I am inquiring about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 12:27 PM

706 posts, read 1,309,026 times
Occoquan is beautiful. Not sure about schools though...without VRE there, could be a hairy drive.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:53 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Occoquan is beautiful. Not sure about schools though...without VRE there, could be a hairy drive.
I will 2nd Occoquan being a beautiful area. (OP said he doesn't have kids) You will still deal with traffic but at least your commute will not be as bad as though going north in the am then south in the afternoons. The town has a couple huge craft shows where things can jam up pretty bad just so you're aware of that.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:28 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
we're looking for similar recommendations - although we need a neighborhood with good schools.

My husband commutes to just north of fredericksburg daily from chantilly. It's a reverse commute going south, and he jumps on 95 off of 123 (really close to Occoquan). That would be a really easy commute most days for you.

You might want to look near the Stonebridge Center, though. That would be a very quick commute to Quantico. Just a couple exits.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:40 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,305 times
The town of Occoquan is tiny. About 800 people and 1/4 square mile area. It's mostly boutique shops and restaurants for tourists. You would be more likely to find homes in larger communities like Lake Ridge, Montclair, and newer developments along Route 1 such as Port Potomac or Southbridge.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:30 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
I know a few people who've rented the newer townhomes in Occoquan. They loved it. Inventory is low but if you can find something, I think you will enjoy it.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:39 PM

274 posts, read 348,536 times
Occoquan has 7 active rentals available right now, so inventory is definitely low.
You could consider North Stafford as well since that feeds into Quantico.

For hilsmom why do you not live in Stafford or Fredericksburg? The cost of housing is so much cheaper there compared to Chantilly. I have heard the Spotslyvania schools are good as well, not sure if just the city of the whole county.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Tauzier View Post

For hilsmom why do you not live in Stafford or Fredericksburg? The cost of housing is so much cheaper there compared to Chantilly. I have heard the Spotslyvania schools are good as well, not sure if just the city of the whole county.
If I ever want to go back to full-time work anywhere near the city, that is just too far. Believe me, we have been very tempted by what we could get for our money in stafford county. My husband even went to look at a new community down there and he had stars in his eyes.

Prince William is a compromise location. More for our money than in Fairfax, but not quite as far out. Plus, more community resources like community centers and such.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:42 PM

274 posts, read 348,536 times
Got you, Prince William is a comprise I agree. I live in Prince William as well and yes almost every community has amenities and newer homes, compared to older more expensive homes in Fairfax.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:24 PM

I am pretty happy with our neighborhood in Chantilly, to be quite honest. But the commute for my husband wears on all of us. My only beef with where we currently are is with the size of our school and the problems associated with it being a center school, but the quality of the teachers is excellent.

We shall see - we don't HAVE to move, just wish for an easier commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia