Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 AM

21 posts, read 93,257 times

Advertisements

Hey, i just got a ticket for speeding, 46 in 30. I was thinking of going to court and try to contest it.
My main argument is that " There was this steep hill, and at the bottom cops were measuring speed, the hill added a lot to the speed and i knew the speed limit, i told the officer 30 when he asked. So i can argue that i knew the speed limit, and i was going around 35, but the hill added a lot of speed" (35 is still over 30, but i heard that around 5 m over limit is okay. or usually not ticketed. )
and i was thinking may be i can do a calculation on the hill, how much speed it adds, and show it to judge. Do you think this will help?
I also had a test that day, i was in a hurry.
also does mentioning that its my first ticket help?
and that I'm a college student, I'm not saying i should not get ticketed because I'm a student. Im just asking if this would help the judge go easy on me.

Should i just pay the ticket, or try to contest it. yes or no and why.

one more question. Does my insurance rate go up?

Last edited by munkhuu94; 02-18-2014 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Oh my please do not go up to a judge with that first argument and the old "i'm a broke college student." There is literally no chance your argument will work. You have brakes to slow yourself down coming down a hill.

If you go to court you may get a break if you just plead no contest and you have a good record - maybe a lower fine or a lower level of speeding (9 over instead of 16 over). Straight up beating a speeding ticket is nearly impossible.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 AM

179 posts, read 298,644 times
So because a hill adds to speed, that is an excuse for speeding? Do you have brakes on your car?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Oh my please do not go up to a judge with that first argument and the old "i'm a broke college student." There is literally no chance your argument will work. You have brakes to slow yourself down coming down a hill.

If you go to court you may get a break if you just plead no contest and you have a good record - maybe a lower fine or a lower level of speeding (9 over instead of 16 over). Straight up beating a speeding ticket is nearly impossible.
If i get lower level of speeding, how much does the ticket get reduced.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:56 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
At just 16 miles over the speed limit, I presume you're not facing a reckless driving charge, so I would just skip court. One, you really don't have a good defense, and, two, I don't see the judge letting you get away with a reduced fine or any lesser charge that wouldn't result in the same 3 points on your license. As such, I would view court as a waste of time and energy. Pay the fine and move on.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:59 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkhuu94 View Post
If i get lower level of speeding, how much does the ticket get reduced.
Possibly none. When I hired a lawyer to go to court for me for a reckless driving ticket (84 in a 70 mph zone), the judge lowered the charge to defective equipment, but kept the amount of the fine the same as if it were reckless driving. I got the benefit of no criminal record and no points on my license, Virginia got to keep the same amount of money. A win for both parties, so to speak.

But, you can certainly always try. If you've got the time and energy, you don't really have anything to lose.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkhuu94 View Post
can i argue that using brakes waste gas? I'm not saying don't use the brakes at all, I'm just saying on hills i don't usually use brakes, just let the car roll down.
Wow. You are really grasping at straws with these excuses. Have to admit though that this is a good one. Not at all believable but a good one.

Go to court if you can make it and look for the charging officer. Ask him if he'll support your reduction to charge of 39/30. It only drops it down by one point but every little bit helps. You could also get your speedometer calibrated and see if this helps but this is not free.

But I really would not advise for you to go in and use the excuses you're throwing out to us. Unless of course you want to give the judge a good chuckle.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:29 PM

i just don't want my insurance rate to go up, i will probably plead no contest, seems best choice.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:55 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
If you don't want your insurance to go up just don't speed in the future. Yes, it's rather sneaky of officers to purposely wait at the bottom of hills knowing there's a much better chance of catching people. But speeding is speeding. And there could just as easily be a pedestrian at the bottom of the hill as anywhere else. I'd just pay it and consider it an expensive life lesson. If you have the time to spend going to court try what Bigfoot suggested.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Ah yes, another speeder in an urban area. Be thankful you didn't kill a pedestrian. Learn, pay up, and if you can't follow traffic rules stay off the road. I hope the judge doesn't adjust it one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia